Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey, reading the university website, it says that all students outside commuting distance are guaranteed accomodation from the university. Are students from within commuting distance still able to get accomodation from the university and if so, is it likely that they would. Would it be better to begin looking for alternatives?
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Bv12827)
    Hey, reading the university website, it says that all students outside commuting distance are guaranteed accomodation from the university. Are students from within commuting distance still able to get accomodation from the university and if so, is it likely that they would. Would it be better to begin looking for alternatives?
    You are better off ringing the accommodation office (quicker) and they can give you an idea. Having a rule like that rather than a guarantee indicates they have limited accommodation but they can tell you how many places they have v number of first years.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, 100%. If university owned accommodation don't want to offer you a room then look into private halls like iQ and Unite. Avoid the studios, go for an en-suite or shared bathrooms.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rickyrossman)
    Yes, 100%. If university owned accommodation don't want to offer you a room then look into private halls like iQ and Unite. Avoid the studios, go for an en-suite or shared bathrooms.
    Why avoid the studios?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bio 7)
    Why avoid the studios?
    They are bloody awful. You pay approximately 50% more for a tiny kitchen that doesn't even have an oven, a horriblly small bathroom. You'll have a hard time making friends with people in your block because you won't have any flatmates to chill with. Generally (not all), those who live in studios are unsocial so if you're in a block of rooms full of studios good luck making friends with the other tenants. At my accommodation, we have a social room with a pool table and television but its always empty.

ReputationRep:
    I moved from a shared place to a studio for that reason part way through my contract, and my place does have an over that I won't be using. Yes they are mainly for unsocial people but I don't think turning people off of studios is good.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 27, 2018
Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.