Turn on thread page Beta

Finding integral - do we always add the constant... watch

    • Thread Starter

    When we have a question with that symbol then (3x+1)coz(2x)dx...
    do we find the integral and then add +C... or do we just find the integral?
    • Community Assistant

    Community Assistant
    (Original post by aliceinwonder123)
    When we have a question with that symbol then (3x+1)coz(2x)dx...
    do we find the integral and then add +C... or do we just find the integral?
    You need +C if the integral has no limits. An integral without limits is called indefinite.

    If you differentiate a function with a constant, the derivative no longer contains the constant. But by the fundamental theorem of calculus, if you integrate the derivative you get the original function. So yes you need to add a +C otherwise you won't be able to recover the constant.

    Always add the +C unless you are doing definite integration (i.e. finding the area bounded between the curve and x axis between two x co-ordinates - you minus one from the other so the Cs would cancel out and hence you don't need to calulate it)
Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 27, 2018

University open days

  1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier


Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here


How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.