Turn on thread page Beta

Not invited to weekend plans watch

We are having some people from Germany over to stay in the uk for a week. Today I found out from a friend who is way more popular than me that the rest of the group have made plans to do stuff without me. Usually I wouldn’t mind but I don’t want to be stuck at home with my German exchange while they all go out and have fun. should I try and get invited or just make other plans by myself
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    What's 1 weekend? More importantly, if you're hosting guests, they take priority. "Stuck" at home with your guest isn't the best attitude here, mate.

hmm yeah, if you're friends then let them know that you want in too and ur exchange person as well

ReputationRep:
    Maybe try asking your friends if you and your German partner can participate, if your partner knows about them all meeting without you both see if they can ask their German friend for you both to be invited, if they’re being rude about it then just try and plan something great. Just don’t make things awkward with you and your partner, when i did an exchange with my school everything started tumbling downhill when partners didn’t communicate

(Original post by beeea)
    Maybe try asking your friends if you and your German partner can participate, if your partner knows about them all meeting without you both see if they can ask their German friend for you both to be invited, if they’re being rude about it then just try and plan something great. Just don’t make things awkward with you and your partner, when i did an exchange with my school everything started tumbling downhill when partners didn’t communicate
    How can I ask without sounding needy or pushy? She isn’t really my close friend or anything and I’m not friends with her friends

ReputationRep:
    When I had my spanish exchange over too, I was pretty much the same situation but I assume they’re staying at your house so you need to make them feel as comfortable and happy as possible, just be honest and be like (i can’t exactly assume how good they are at english but something along the lines of) “hi, have you heard about *so and so* meeting up without us? does this bother you? do you want to join them?” and if they are bothered then just be straight up to the others and be like “hi do you mind if we join in? My partner feels kinda left out..” on a text if your not confident to ask in real life, if they start being rude or just say no then explain to your partner and try and figure something out together without them, just be enthusiastic haha
    Are there any others who have German partners that you are closer with and your partner is close with their partners? Maybe see if you can arrange something with them if so

[QUOTE=beeea;76331918]When I had my spanish exchange over too, I was pretty much the same situation but I assume they’re staying at your house so you need to make them feel as comfortable and happy as possible, just be honest and be like (i can’t exactly assume how good they are at english but something along the lines of) “hi, have you heard about *so and so* meeting up without us? does this bother you? do you want to join them?” and if they are bothered then just be straight up to the others and be like “hi do you mind if we join in? My partner feels kinda left out..” on a text if your not confident to ask in real life, if they start being rude or just say no then explain to your partner and try and figure something out together without them, just be enthusiastic haha
    Are there any others who have German partners that you are closer with and your partner is close with their partners? Maybe see if you can arrange something with them if so[/QUOTE

I’m close with one girl but her exchange isn’t even at the same school as mine (it’s kind of a district exchange thing).
    My exchange’s friends’ partners are these really annoying boys who all smoke and drink that I have no intention of asking to hang out with!
    I’m starting to think it might just be better for us both just to plan our own activities but I’m still scared she’ll feel left out.
    What ended up happening on your exchange, if you’re okay to say?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 28, 2018
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.