Turn on thread page Beta

Dropping A-level Physics? watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi.

I am currently studying A-Level maths, chemistry, and physics in Year 13.

I got accepted onto a 6 year degree apprenticeship with jaguar land rover and the entry requirements are only 2 C's.

I am 'targeted' a B in physics, and A's in chemistry and maths.

However, I dont enjoy physics at all and have little motivation to revise the subject. If I put little effort into revising physics I might be able to scrape a C in summer. I am fairly confident I will achieve A's in maths and chemistry.

I am pretty much guaranteed a job with JLR at the end of the apprenticeship, and even if not, I have an engineering degree and 6 years experience working for JLR under my belt.

So my question is: Will dropping physics and only having 2 a-levels hinder my career in the future, taking into account my degree and experience?

I understand that I "may as well just finish it as there is only 4 months left" but I have a very unique opportunity to focus more on maths and chemistry (subjects that I enjoy), and massively reduce stress over the next 4 months.

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    For an engineering degree surely Physics is key and you shouldn't really be doing it if you dont enjoy physics?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ScienceGeek1878)
    For an engineering degree surely Physics is key and you shouldn't really be doing it if you dont enjoy physics?
    I should have evaluated more on why I dont enjoy it.

We have 2 teachers teaching us at the moment. Teacher 1 is a fantastic teacher, and teacher 2 is utterly useless. She makes u watch videos for 45 minutes straight in lesson then hands us exam questions and sends us on our way. Or, she provides very little teaching, then makes us make notes from the book or the internet.

Teacher 1 is the head of science, hence why he is so good at what he does. However, he is leaving in the next few weeks and we are unsure on whether we will get a real physics teacher replacement or not.

I enjoy physics as a subject, but teacher 2's lack of effort into teaching, and the fact that teacher 1 is leaving, has completely put me off revising or putting effort into the subject.

ReputationRep:
    On a degree apprenticeship I assume a lot of the work will be down to you doing independent study.

That being said, if you have no desire to revise you could always just sit the exam in the summer as even if you get a D or E, its better than no A level at all. Also, you never know what the future might hold and you may end up needing 3 a levels in the future.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ScienceGeek1878)
    On a degree apprenticeship I assume a lot of the work will be down to you doing independent study.

That being said, if you have no desire to revise you could always just sit the exam in the summer as even if you get a D or E, its better than no A level at all. Also, you never know what the future might hold and you may end up needing 3 a levels in the future.
    Thanks for the reply mate.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by ALF2000)
    So my question is: Will dropping physics and only having 2 a-levels hinder my career in the future, taking into account my degree and experience?
    Basically, no. Once you start working, it'll be the skills, knowledge and experience you obtain from this work and your performance that will determine your future. Having a degree, i.e. being degree level education will also help, too.

Poll
Cats or dogs?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.