Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I’m dyslexic so anything with reading / memorising don’t make sense to me . So english poetry remembering 15 poems and what they mean and Macbeth Christmas carol inspectors call quotes will forever be lost in my memories
    Like right now I’m struggling so much because of my dyslexia I can’t write for too long because my vision will go funny as the words begin to blur 😑 tbh English is way to much for me especially when we were taught the old spec for 4 years and now all the sudden it’s the new one that we need to learn in a year
    Sorry for my bad explaining but can anyone relate ?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chrisy427)
    I’m dyslexic so anything with reading / memorising don’t make sense to me . So english poetry remembering 15 poems and what they mean and Macbeth Christmas carol inspectors call quotes will forever be lost in my memories
    Like right now I’m struggling so much because of my dyslexia I can’t write for too long because my vision will go funny as the words begin to blur 😑 tbh English is way to much for me especially when we were taught the old spec for 4 years and now all the sudden it’s the new one that we need to learn in a year
    Sorry for my bad explaining but can anyone relate ?
    Although I can't relate.
    Won't you have extra time and breaks? Also you can get away with learning a few poems that you can compare well with other poems, so you don't have to learn all 15.

ReputationRep:
    Hey I am a student studying Med Sci with dyslexia although I haven't touched English GCSE for a while I managed to make my English grade go from a E to an A (3 marks away from an A*).
    The following tips helped me:
    - Revision guides (perhaps some with more colour) this is good for Macbeth/Christmas Carol/Inspector calls as its summary of chapters and learn some few quotes which you could apply to themes majority. If revision guides are too expensive print some off from sparknotes of summary or some quotes and highlight key words and points.
    - Get some cheap coloured overlays from amazon it really helps with the blur or the confusion and the headache trust me
    - Poems type in youtube those poems and what they mean etc. print the poem off and perhaps just do 5 min on the timer of everything related to that poem like a mindmap. Then go back over it with a different colour of what you have missed.
    - Audio is great for me as I would record myself saying my summary notes on my phone and turn my phone on airplane mode so you have no distractions
    - Pomodorro app/Forrest App only work for 25 mins and then take a 5 min break do SWITCH YOUR PHONE ON AIRPLANE MODE EVEN IN THE BREAK! This is because after 4 SESSIONS you are allowed a longer break then and it really boost productivity honestly!

I can relate and you will survive and with dyslexia its hard as we are having to work 5 times more in terms of volume and determination in order to get to the same goal point as someone who does not have it. However play your strengths dyslexia has allowed me to be more creative and think of the overall picture. So using these strengths think overall themes and ideas and how characters are portrayed etc.

You will get there and GCSEs are not the end all and be all of it trust me this is from someone from the otherside who survived!

ReputationRep:
    Thank you soo much !!! I hear the colour helps so definitely going to try it and thanks for the time u spend writing back to me xx have a nice day

ReputationRep:
    I can so relate! I’m struggling right now as it’s so close to exams and it’s stressing me out that I don’t remember what I read and I also suffer from visual stress so I feel like I’m going to fail!
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    Do you have support from your school?

There's a fair bit they can offer in terms of special exam arrangements if your severity is enough so make sure you get what you're entitled to.

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.