The Student Room Group

Do we have to include critics quotes in AS English Lit Edexcel ?

I've heard from my friends from other schools that they have to use external critics quotes when doing essays. I know for streetcar we have to use the quote provided but do we generally need any other critical quotes ?
Reply 1
Pretty sure you don't need to for AS, only at A level, but criticism is very useful and can be used if you like. Even if you don't use it in your essays it is useful to read too.
Reply 2
Original post by ohyos
Pretty sure you don't need to for AS, only at A level, but criticism is very useful and can be used if you like. Even if you don't use it in your essays it is useful to read too.

Do you think you could get around full marks without any critics quotes ?
Reply 3
Original post by mem123
Do you think you could get around full marks without any critics quotes ?

I'm not positively sure so ask your teacher, but in theory yes because it is not in the mark scheme that you need them. However, critics offer insight which could give you different ideas about Streetcar and push your writing into the top bands, although quoting is unnecessary. But then there is the issue of plagiarism so referencing them would be important.
In short though, yes.
Reply 4
Original post by ohyos
I'm not positively sure so ask your teacher, but in theory yes because it is not in the mark scheme that you need them. However, critics offer insight which could give you different ideas about Streetcar and push your writing into the top bands, although quoting is unnecessary. But then there is the issue of plagiarism so referencing them would be important.
In short though, yes.

Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest