Turn on thread page Beta

Will i have to write essays regularly while studying for a chemistry degree? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I'm (hopefully) going to study chemistry in September, and it's just occurred to me that because i've been doing sciences for A level, i haven't written a proper essay for school since I was 15, so I'm a bit out of practice. Will writing essays be something i'll have to do a lot at uni due to my subject choice?

ReputationRep:
    Not constantly, I do a lot of lab report writing, which is the length of a normal essay. Also we had to write 2 science essays in first and second year, and now in my 4th year some coursework involves doing longer questions and literature reviews which are also basically essays

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dbelz)
    I'm (hopefully) going to study chemistry in September, and it's just occurred to me that because i've been doing sciences for A level, i haven't written a proper essay for school since I was 15, so I'm a bit out of practice. Will writing essays be something i'll have to do a lot at uni due to my subject choice?
    no essays, just lab reports. look up the sections of an academic paper: a title, abstract, introduction, methods&materials, results, discussion.

the discussion aspect is probably the most essay-ish thing you will do. but you will do them every. single. week. in chemistry.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    As above, the writing would be scientific writing, for lab reports and research projects (such as 3rd/4th year projects/dissertations). This isn't really "essay writing" however, and normally they'll have key skills sessions covering scientific writing skills. You won't be disadvantaged by not having an essay subjects by any means (realistically having a full set of STEM subjects will put you at an advantage).

Depending on the course and the specific lecturers, you may be asked to write something outside of this format - a "New Scientist" style article seems somewhat popular as a possible coursework piece that isn't purely academic/scientific. Also it depends somewhat if you take other options outside of chemistry - bioscience modules are probably more "essay" based for example, although again this isn't the same as writing e.g. an English Literature essay.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by artful_lounger)
    As above, the writing would be scientific writing, for lab reports and research projects (such as 3rd/4th year projects/dissertations). This isn't really "essay writing" however, and normally they'll have key skills sessions covering scientific writing skills. You won't be disadvantaged by not having an essay subjects by any means (realistically having a full set of STEM subjects will put you at an advantage).

Depending on the course and the specific lecturers, you may be asked to write something outside of this format - a "New Scientist" style article seems somewhat popular as a possible coursework piece that isn't purely academic/scientific. Also it depends somewhat if you take other options outside of chemistry - bioscience modules are probably more "essay" based for example, although again this isn't the same as writing e.g. an English Literature essay.
    (Original post by CollectiveSoul)
    no essays, just lab reports. look up the sections of an academic paper: a title, abstract, introduction, methods&materials, results, discussion.

the discussion aspect is probably the most essay-ish thing you will do. but you will do them every. single. week. in chemistry.
    (Original post by iElvendork)
    Not constantly, I do a lot of lab report writing, which is the length of a normal essay. Also we had to write 2 science essays in first and second year, and now in my 4th year some coursework involves doing longer questions and literature reviews which are also basically essays
    Ah thank you all! This has been so so helpful, panic over!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dbelz)
    Ah thank you all! This has been so so helpful, panic over!
    do panic a tiny bit lol because the discussion requires similar skills to that of an essay - you have to construct an argument based on your results. i am rubbish at essays too and was thankful that the discussion is only about 15%ish of the report

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 28, 2018
Poll
Cats or dogs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.