Maths - 8
    English Lit - 7
    English Lang - 6
    Core Science - B
    Additional Science - B
    Business Studies - C
    French - D
    BTEC Sport - Distinction*

My A-Levels are economics, further maths and maths. I am in year 12. My predicted grades are BBB, but maths is my strongest side and I am pushing for a A*A*B for next year. I am wanting to do accounting and finance at uni however I don't think I will get into a russell group. I am looking to do more work experience within the finance area.

I have Warwick, University of Nottingham, Newcastle University London, Reading and University of Birmingham in mind.

Would I have a slim chance or would my application not get anywhere near the other applicants?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by phillipung)
    I got
    Maths - 8
    English Lit - 7
    English Lang - 6
    Core Science - B
    Additional Science - B
    Business Studies - C
    French - D
    BTEC Sport - Distinction*

My A-Levels are economics, further maths and maths. I am in year 12. My predicted grades are BBB, but maths is my strongest side and I am pushing for a A*A*B for next year. I am wanting to do accounting and finance at uni however I don't think I will get into a russell group. I am looking to do more work experience within the finance area.

I have Warwick, University of Nottingham, Newcastle University London, Reading and University of Birmingham in mind.

Would I have a slim chance or would my application not get anywhere near the other applicants?
    How did the school estimate your grades? Isnt it a bit early for them to have much idea - especially for further maths?

Also - did you/ do you go to a lower attaining school? The Bristol list for contextual offers may offer a clue.

If you can get your predicted grades up a bit - say AAB - you should be fine. Accounting is not a particularly heavily subscribed course at the moment. The UCAS offer rate calculator doesnt seem to be working at the moment but you may want to keep an eye on it. Why not visit a couple of the universities and see what they say? My guess would be (looking at unistats) that some ask for higher grades than they would require on results day.

(Original post by ajj2000)
    How did the school estimate your grades? Isnt it a bit early for them to have much idea - especially for further maths?

Also - did you/ do you go to a lower attaining school? The Bristol list for contextual offers may offer a clue.

If you can get your predicted grades up a bit - say AAB - you should be fine. Accounting is not a particularly heavily subscribed course at the moment. The UCAS offer rate calculator doesnt seem to be working at the moment but you may want to keep an eye on it. Why not visit a couple of the universities and see what they say? My guess would be (looking at unistats) that some ask for higher grades than they would require on results day.
    Wrong.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by √√√√)
    Wrong.
    Why do you say that? The entrance grades don't look particularly tough (AAB at most well known universities) and most reasonable applicants get offers. Economics, for example, is far more competitive to get into, and for science and engineering degrees the top universities ask for higher grades.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 2, 2018
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. SAE Institute
    Animation, Audio, Film, Games, Music, Business, Web Further education
    Thu, 16 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.