The Student Room Group

Should I resit or not?

I am currently on a gap year, with a deferred entry for a foundation year in engineering, because I didn't have the subjects for a direct entry to the engineering courses I was interested in. I achieved a B in Psychology, D in Biology and E in Chemistry, over the summer for A levels. I never usually achieve any grades below a B, but last year alot of things happened that intervened with my studies. I was wondering do you think it would be worth it to resit both Biology and Chemistry just in case of any changes in the future?
If you have the offer, what exactly do you stand to gain by resitting those subjects?

I mean the sort of "ultimate scenario" where it's relevant would be if you wanted to apply to graduate entry medicine (which if you're planning on already...is not ideal), in which case there's no benefit to retaking them now as opposed to after you get your first degree (and in fact if you did less than admirably in your resits now, then had to redo them later, may be viewed unfavourably, although as far as I know most GEM courses don't pay much attention to A-levels taken before the degree if the relevant subjects and grades have been achieved after).

Provided you do in fact want to pursue engineering, as you have an offer already taking those subjects is largely irrelevant (particularly as the subjects themselves aren't hugely relevant anyway - outside of the physical chemistry stuff, specifically thermo, there isn't really much). There are probably more productive ways to spend your time - brushing up your GCSE Maths for example, and maybe trying your hand at some of the e.g. AS level mechanics if you're doing well with that, might be more useful to give you a bit of a head start when you begin your foundation year.
Reply 2
You've missed the main entry deadline and it it now likely to cost you at least £300 per A level to re-sit. How much do you want to?
Resit. Lots of russell universities will enter clearing so the deadline doesn't matter.
Original post by artful_lounger
If you have the offer, what exactly do you stand to gain by resitting those subjects?

I mean the sort of "ultimate scenario" where it's relevant would be if you wanted to apply to graduate entry medicine (which if you're planning on already...is not ideal), in which case there's no benefit to retaking them now as opposed to after you get your first degree (and in fact if you did less than admirably in your resits now, then had to redo them later, may be viewed unfavourably, although as far as I know most GEM courses don't pay much attention to A-levels taken before the degree if the relevant subjects and grades have been achieved after).

Provided you do in fact want to pursue engineering, as you have an offer already taking those subjects is largely irrelevant (particularly as the subjects themselves aren't hugely relevant anyway - outside of the physical chemistry stuff, specifically thermo, there isn't really much). There are probably more productive ways to spend your time - brushing up your GCSE Maths for example, and maybe trying your hand at some of the e.g. AS level mechanics if you're doing well with that, might be more useful to give you a bit of a head start when you begin your foundation year.

I understand what you mean. I guess it would be wasteful. However the reason I considered resitting was due to the fact that I was starting to reconsider the route I should actually take. I have wanted to do something within healthcare for a while. I thought that if I resit then I would have good Alevel results to fall back on in case I decide to change my course after a year. I'm not sure if that is something I should deal with if the time ever comes or just resit now to avoid having to deal with it.
Original post by weirdlycurious
I understand what you mean. I guess it would be wasteful. However the reason I considered resitting was due to the fact that I was starting to reconsider the route I should actually take. I have wanted to do something within healthcare for a while. I thought that if I resit then I would have good Alevel results to fall back on in case I decide to change my course after a year. I'm not sure if that is something I should deal with if the time ever comes or just resit now to avoid having to deal with it.

If this is specifically regarding graduate entry medicine, then most medical schools normally they have "minimum" grade requirements (usually BBB, which you are below in fairness) for the "original" take (before you do your degree) and the standard/school-leaver requirements for any taken after you get your degree (or potentially during it, I suppose). The latter are considered without prejudice i.e. they aren't viewed as retakes necessarily, whereas retakes in the original setting (or taking the exams more than once after getting the degree) tends to be very contentious and many medical schools don't accept that.

I would suggest continuing on your current route, and then if you wish to pursue GEM, cross that bridge when you get to it. It's quite possible you'll develop better studying strategies in the course of earning your degree making it more likely you'll get better grades in the post-degree A-level takes, and as above taking them after your degree is generally considered without prejudice by GEM providers.

Quick Reply

Latest