Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    My son is working on Fragments at the moment. His idea for his final piece is to use 3-4 layers of A4 perspex and paint a fragmented picture using acrylics. Each layer will be stood in its side and mounted so that there is a narrow gap in between each layer. His idea was to have a volcano and rocky background on the back layer but his teacher has told him he can't do this as he needs to be able to take a photo that he can then do an observed study from. He is inspired by Japanese art and fantasy art such as magic the gathering cards and wants to then do a fragmented animal (e.g. a rabbit with wings ,the wings on one layer, the body on the next). The teachers are saying he can't do this but he's now wasted 6 weeks working on something he can't use. He also likes cherry blossom trees and is prepared to change the background to incorporate cherry blossom but again the problem is we can't get any photos unless we print them off the internet which the teachers say are unacceptable. Anyone give us some guidance please?

ReputationRep:
    How many teachers are in the art department at his school? Maybe he could explain to another and get their opinion on it...
    I don’t know what exam board he is on and how similar it is to mine but my spec says you do need to work from your own pictures/include them in your book/work from real life observation for some of the work, is there anything he can take pictures of instead for his piece? And then do an artist link on an artist that uses volcanoes in his work? Would be a shame for that 6 weeks to go to waste, but at the end of the day it is his idea that he needs to create himself, not the teachers. I see my teacher as more of a guide, they know what you need to get the marks but I don’t see why he can’t compensate the photograph/real life observation for another part of his piece and just use artist links to link in the cherry blossom and volcano
    I would read through the specification for his exam board and ensure he includes all of what they expect and mark, I believe this is what helped me get up to a grade 7, even though I know I am not the most talented in my year group!!!
    hope this helps
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    OH ITS EDEXCEL silly me read through this: https://qualifications.pearson.com/c..._Spec_2016.pdf

It’s what I have used whilst I was feeling like I wasn’t doing the right thing X

ReputationRep:
    I'm an art student in college (sixth form) and wow it sounds like your son has amazing ideas!! Such a clever use of composition and space! It's so sad that the teachers aren't letting him go through with that idea, and how come he's been allowed to work up to the idea for 6 weeks without anyone telling him he can't do it until now?? Secondary school teachers can be such a bummer...I agree with the person above that maybe he (or you) could try speaking to any other art or design tech teachers in the school about the idea...and can he draw a sketch of the cherry blossom tree he wants for the background at home from multiple internet refs then take it into school and work from the sketch? That way the teachers would have no idea he used an internet ref! It's silly they have that rule because in college you can use photos from the internet as reference as long as you don't just recreate the photo of course...

ReputationRep:
    Also it's quite time consuming but if he's really set on the volcano idea and the teachers won't let him use the idea even after you discuss it with them, he could always create a simple model of a volcano to get reference from?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scarlettt8)
    I'm an art student in college (sixth form) and wow it sounds like your son has amazing ideas!! Such a clever use of composition and space! It's so sad that the teachers aren't letting him go through with that idea, and how come he's been allowed to work up to the idea for 6 weeks without anyone telling him he can't do it until now?? Secondary school teachers can be such a bummer...I agree with the person above that maybe he (or you) could try speaking to any other art or design tech teachers in the school about the idea...and can he draw a sketch of the cherry blossom tree he wants for the background at home from multiple internet refs then take it into school and work from the sketch? That way the teachers would have no idea he used an internet ref! It's silly they have that rule because in college you can use photos from the internet as reference as long as you don't just recreate the photo of course...
    Thanks, he was helped with the idea by a friend who is a teacher ( primary) but has a degree in art. There are 2 art teachers at his school, one said it was fine so he started working on it then the other told him to forget it as "youll never pull it off!" and ton"just draw a rabbit"!! Hardly inspirational! Ive arranged a meeting at another school on Friday. He is taking all of his coursework for them to look at and see if they can guide him. I'm also meeting with his teachers earlier on Friday to discuss my concerns. I will let you know how it goes! Unfortunately they have managed to completely destroy his passion for art....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beeea)
    OH ITS EDEXCEL silly me read through this: https://qualifications.pearson.com/c..._Spec_2016.pdf

It’s what I have used whilst I was feeling like I wasn’t doing the right thing X
    Thanks,I will have a read throug h this. I'm going in to see the teachers on Friday so hopefully we can get some clarity....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ZakkyB)
    Thanks,I will have a read throug h this. I'm going in to see the teachers on Friday so hopefully we can get some clarity....
    Might be useful, might not, but it just runs through EVERYTHING needed to obtain marks in art and and splits it down into sections, nothing there says what he can/can’t do, I’m pretty certain he doesn’t need his own photos for every single thing he paints/draws etc just for some of them (well that’s what my art teacher told me anyways - find something he’s including that’s a bit easier to take a picture of- could he possibly take pictures of cracks in the ground/dirt etc to link it to the volcano, take his own pictures of birds/rabbits for the animal aspect and even use old photos you’ve already taken if you have any of birds/rabbits/cherry blossom), but read through it to find other ways he can include the volcano if that is what he is set on doing (artist links etc)

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, he was helped with the idea by a friend who is a teacher ( primary) but has a degree in art. There are 2 art teachers at his school, one said it was fine so he started working on it then the other told him to forget it as "youll never pull it off!" and ton"just draw a rabbit"!! Hardly inspirational! Ive arranged a meeting at another school on Friday. He is taking all of his coursework for them to look at and see if they can guide him. I'm also meeting with his teachers earlier on Friday to discuss my concerns. I will let you know how it goes! Unfortunately they have managed to completely destroy his passion for art....
    I am so sorry to hear this, to me he sounds like an innovative artist with potential! Let him know that in a sixth form college setting art is completely different - the teachers are supportive and want you to go crazy with your ideas, and stray from the norm, and are not set in their ways like in secondary school. I hope it hasn't disheartened him and that he can find his passion again soon if he was hoping to continue with art after GCSE...I don't know so much about how art is in a school sixth form (I attend a college sixth form), but I know that A level/BTEC level 3 art has a lot more freedom than GCSE art, and the teachers support your ideas rather than try and fit you into their box or what the examiners want.

I hope things go well when you have a discussion with these teachers! Wishing your son luck with his work.

ReputationRep:
    I am so sorry to hear this, to me he sounds like an innovative artist with potential! Let him know that in a sixth form college setting art is completely different - the teachers are supportive and want you to go crazy with your ideas, and stray from the norm, and are not set in their ways like in secondary school. I hope it hasn't disheartened him and that he can find his passion again soon if he was hoping to continue with art after GCSE...I don't know so much about how art is in a school sixth form (I attend a college sixth form), but I know that A level/BTEC level 3 art has a lot more freedom than GCSE art, and the teachers support your ideas rather than try and fit you into their box or what the examiners want.

I hope things go well when you have a discussion with these teachers! Wishing your son luck with his work.
    Yes please encourage him to continue with a positive attitude! All i’ve suggested so far has been to fit into the teacher’s and exam board’s mold to keep them happy and get him the grades but I cannot stress how important it is for him to not lose his faith in the subject! good luck to you both!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beeea)
    Yes please encourage him to continue with a positive attitude! All i’ve suggested so far has been to fit into the teacher’s and exam board’s mold to keep them happy and get him the grades but I cannot stress how important it is for him to not lose his faith in the subject! good luck to you both!!
    Aw yes sadly he may have to do that :< When he gets his GCSE grade though he can go on to study A level/BTEC art and do what he truly wants with the subject!

ReputationRep:
    Aw yes sadly he may have to do that :< When he gets his GCSE grade though he can go on to study A level/BTEC art and do what he truly wants with the subject!
    and thank you

ReputationRep:

Thank you, I just want him to feel he's done his best so he's not disappointed on results day. Fortunately he has decided on physics,chemistry,maths and further maths at A level but had considered art as a fifth A level for a more fun option. He's very academic art was never going to be a career but he's always been one of the best in his year at art until the last couple of months.

ReputationRep:
    and thank you
    Yes, I hope that his love of art will come back when his exam is over. I've paid for him to go on a workshop at Easter where 2 teachers from a local private school will work with him on his pieces to hopefully get him back on track. I've sent a snotty email to school today!!!

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I hope that his love of art will come back when his exam is over. I've paid for him to go on a workshop at Easter where 2 teachers from a local private school will work with him on his pieces to hopefully get him back on track. I've sent a snotty email to school today!!!
    Wow thats really lovely of you to do that! And good on you! Hope they take note.

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.