Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NYU2012)
    It appears that you’re American, which would obviously bias you in favor of American names with which you might be familiar.

Duke is well known because it performs well in sports, like Notre Dame. And while Duke and Notre Dame are excellent universities, their names carry little weight beyond US borders.

In all reality, Durham is just as good Duke. Duke earns a benefit for its graduate programs, and thus research output, because its graduate schools are much larger.

In many rankings, Durham and Duke switch places depending on the subject and usually aren’t far off from one another.

Durham is the only English law school to seat not one, but two, current Justices on the Supreme Court — Lord Hughes and Lady Black. Duke Law has never placed any on SCOTUS.

And, in academia, no one would look down on a Durham degree compared to a Duke degree. Even at University of Chicago, to those who know of it, Durham’s name is prestigious.

Don’t be deceived by an American centric viewpoint.
    I am American however i study at Nottingham which is QS ranked 84th globally

Durham finds itself ranked 74th

Duke University finds itself ranked at 21th

By the QS a british university ranking.

Further it has a much lower offer rate something like 16% acceptance.

Its far more selective....and considered the ivy of the south.

***ua Business school, Duke hospital is one of the best in the world for heart surgeries.

Its not biased its reality, Durham is not in the golden triangle.

Not in the vein of LSE, Oxford, Cambridge, UCL

its move closer to forming a cluster with a nice second tier Russell group

Durham, Warwick and Nottingham, Leeds, Manchester.

Get real.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by Realitysreflexx)
    Why even mention Nottingham? (That's a rhetorical question - please don't reply...)

If you want to quote acceptance rates: Durham's is 15.6%

ReputationRep:

Durham finds itself ranked 74th

Duke University finds itself ranked at 21th

By the QS a british university ranking.

Further it has a much lower offer rate something like 16% acceptance.

Its far more selective....and considered the ivy of the south.

***ua Business school, Duke hospital is one of the best in the world for heart surgeries.

Its not biased its reality, Durham is not in the golden triangle.

Not in the vein of LSE, Oxford, Cambridge, UCL

its move closer to forming a cluster with a nice second tier Russell group

Durham, Warwick and Nottingham, Leeds, Manchester.

Get real.
    I’m sorry, but your “arguments” here aren’t impressive and I suggest you “get real.” The fact that you study at Nottingham also isn’t impressive. I’ve studied at significantly more impressive places, so I really don’t care. Additionally, I’m American, have studied in both countries, at University level, including graduate level, etc. And I’ve been admitted, for both graduate and undergraduate, to among the US’s top universities, including Harvard, Chicago, Duke, etc.

You’re an undergraduate, with virtually no experience of academia, and you’re relying on a general ranking from a single source.

(1) The offer/acceptance rate is virtually immaterial. The entire process of admission in the two countries is entirely different. However, Durham has the 5-6th highest entry tariff in the country, ahead of e.g. UCL.

(2) Acceptance/offer rate is meaningless to research performance, quality of education, etc. It tells you merely how many people are applying versus how many available spots there are. Maybe you need to take a basic stats methodology course while you study at Nottingham.

(3) The “ivy of the south” moniker is meaningless. Plenty of universities are “The ivy of...” or “the new ivy.” Vanderbilt, Emory, Notre Dame, Rice, Hopkins, Chicago, Stanford, MIT, CalTech, etc. can all make that claim. Berkeley and Michigan are the “public ivies.” It’s meaningless.

(4) As I stated, and you blatantly ignored — extremely poor argumentative form, hope you don’t have to write any proper academic papers — (a) the difference in rankings is minimal, and rankings vary every year; (b) the subject rankings vary between the two. In certain subjects Durham performs better than Duke, and vice versa.

(5) As I stated, I have personal experience with both Durham and The University of Chicago, and Durham is both known and respected by any academic that is familiar with it (i.e. an academic that works in area that overlaps, where they would be publishing in similar journals). Speaking specifically about the law school, not only is Durham known, but a world-renown Law professor at Chicago has co-published alongside another at Durham. A Durham degree isn’t, contrary to your baseless assertions, looked down upon in any way. And, as I repeat, Durham graduates have gone on to, for example, the UK Supreme Court. None from Duke have; nor have any from UCL, LSE, etc. Only Oxbridge and Durham — and, indeed, Durham is the third most recruited law school after Oxbridge.

(6) Durham professors frequently hold visiting positions at places like Yale, Harvard, Oxford, etc.

(7) The Golden triangle isn’t relevant. Duke isn’t an ivy, and there are plenty of other equally as reputable universities one could choose from.

(8) Durham maintains a partnership with Dartmouth, part of the Matariki Network

(9) As I already told you, Duke’s ranking benefits from its extremely large graduate schools — Duke has twice the number of graduate students, compared to Durham. Yet, even in QS, which has a methological flaw such that it benefits larger research universities, Durham outranks Duke in a number of subjects.

Now take your undergraduate arrogance and go elsewhere. Just because you’re an undergraduate at Nottingham doesn’t mean you understand academia at all. Maybe you have an inferiority complex to deal with, or perhaps you’re from the South and have a distorted view of Duke — but, either way, Duke and Durham are excellent universities, and your specious deprecation isn’t necessary.

But, even more importantly, do you really think that — or are you so insecure that — differences in rankings, where such differences are not actually that large, matter to anyone? Do you think anyone in academia goes “Ah yes, Duke is superior to Durham. Obviously more qualified.” No. Get over it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doonesbury)
    Why even mention Nottingham? (That's a rhetorical question - please don't reply...)

If you want to quote acceptance rates: Durham's is 15.6%
    Really, Dont be thick,

Durhams offer rate is far higher then Dukes.

You always want to call upon rankings when it pleases your argument yet dont want to acknowledge them when it hurts.

Durham is a mere 9 QS places higher then Nottingham, and lags Duke by about 55.

ReputationRep:
    I’m sorry, but your “arguments” here aren’t impressive and I suggest you “get real.” The fact that you study at Nottingham also isn’t impressive. I’ve studied at significantly more impressive places, so I really don’t care. Additionally, I’m American, have studied in both countries, at University level, including graduate level, etc. And I’ve been admitted, for both graduate and undergraduate, to among the US’s top universities, including Harvard, Chicago, Duke, etc.

You’re an undergraduate, with virtually no experience of academia, and you’re relying on a general ranking from a single source.

(1) The offer/acceptance rate is virtually immaterial. The entire process of admission in the two countries is entirely different. However, Durham has the 5-6th highest entry tariff in the country, ahead of e.g. UCL.

(2) Acceptance/offer rate is meaningless to research performance, quality of education, etc. It tells you merely how many people are applying versus how many available spots there are. Maybe you need to take a basic stats methodology course while you study at Nottingham.

(3) The “ivy of the south” moniker is meaningless. Plenty of universities are “The ivy of...” or “the new ivy.” Vanderbilt, Emory, Notre Dame, Rice, Hopkins, Chicago, Stanford, MIT, CalTech, etc. can all make that claim. Berkeley and Michigan are the “public ivies.” It’s meaningless.

(4) As I stated, and you blatantly ignored — extremely poor argumentative form, hope you don’t have to write any proper academic papers — (a) the difference in rankings is minimal, and rankings vary every year; (b) the subject rankings vary between the two. In certain subjects Durham performs better than Duke, and vice versa.

(5) As I stated, I have personal experience with both Durham and The University of Chicago, and Durham is both known and respected by any academic that is familiar with it (i.e. an academic that works in area that overlaps, where they would be publishing in similar journals). Speaking specifically about the law school, not only is Durham known, but a world-renown Law professor at Chicago has co-published alongside another at Durham. A Durham degree isn’t, contrary to your baseless assertions, looked down upon in any way. And, as I repeat, Durham graduates have gone on to, for example, the UK Supreme Court. None from Duke have; nor have any from UCL, LSE, etc. Only Oxbridge and Durham — and, indeed, Durham is the third most recruited law school after Oxbridge.

(6) Durham professors frequently hold visiting positions at places like Yale, Harvard, Oxford, etc.

(7) The Golden triangle isn’t relevant. Duke isn’t an ivy, and there are plenty of other equally as reputable universities one could choose from.

(8) Durham maintains a partnership with Dartmouth, part of the Matariki Network

(9) As I already told you, Duke’s ranking benefits from its extremely large graduate schools — Duke has twice the number of graduate students, compared to Durham. Yet, even in QS, which has a methological flaw such that it benefits larger research universities, Durham outranks Duke in a number of subjects.

Now take your undergraduate arrogance and go elsewhere. Just because you’re an undergraduate at Nottingham doesn’t mean you understand academia at all. Maybe you have an inferiority complex to deal with, or perhaps you’re from the South and have a distorted view of Duke — but, either way, Duke and Durham are excellent universities, and your specious deprecation isn’t necessary.

But, even more importantly, do you really think that — or are you so insecure that — differences in rankings, where such differences are not actually that large, matter to anyone? Do you think anyone in academia goes “Ah yes, Duke is superior to Durham. Obviously more qualified.” No. Get over it.
    A girl went to Durham, to study law from a foundation course I did, albeit it private foundation that says something..Duke is academically a target university people need emmaculate academic records to get into from day one, not a foundation course.. Further, Duke has an endowment that could buy several british universities, it has like i said one of the greatest cardiovascular centers in the world, with alas better doctors then the UK.. (largely due to the private money system and pay for Doctors.

Durham stacks up poorly overall against Duke..

End of story. Sorry a public research university that accepts Oxbridge rejects and makes foundation students offers of place is not in a position to compete with a top 25 QS instuition.

Get over it.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Really, Dont be thick,

Durhams offer rate is far higher then Dukes.
    Don't be rude.

And, as you should well know, you can't compare offer (or even acceptance) rates due to the completely different admissions processes. I mentioned the acceptance rate purely because you said Duke's was 16%.

You do realise the acceptance rate is the admit rate, not the offer rate?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doonesbury)
    Don't be rude.

And, as you should well know, you can't compare offer (or even acceptance) rates due to the completely different admissions processes. I mentioned the acceptance rate purely because you said Duke's was 16%.

You do realise the acceptance rate is the admit rate, not the offer rate?
    Yes it may differ, but im pretty positive Duke doesnt offer admission to 70% of its applicants. However cant with empirical evidence back this claim.

What i can show evidence of is that in basically all respected rankings Duke is a Top 10 (US) instuition and safely a top 30 global instuition, whereas Durham moves far lower.

So its quite difficult to defend my instuition (Nottingham) against opinions on this forum but when i do decide to provide some facts, i dont want to hear a peep about your personal opinions about Durham.

Because its not as elite as Duke and never will be.

ReputationRep:
    LOL, QS rankings are predominately based on research, barely anything else. Oh dear.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by random_matt)
    LOL, QS rankings are predominately based on research, barely anything else. Oh dear.
    Its not just QS, its all the (country and international) major rankings.

Duke is the far superior instute of higher education.

ReputationRep:
    A girl went to Durham, to study law from a foundation course I did, albeit it private foundation that says something..Duke is academically a target university people need emmaculate academic records to get into from day one, not a foundation course.. Further, Duke has an endowment that could buy several british universities, it has like i said one of the greatest cardiovascular centers in the world, with alas better doctors then the UK.. (largely due to the private money system and pay for Doctors.

Durham stacks up poorly overall against Duke..

End of story. Sorry a public research university that accepts Oxbridge rejects and makes foundation students offers of place is not in a position to compete with a top 25 QS instuition.

Get over it.
    I’m getting very bored with you. You’re an undergraduate, at Nottingham, with virtually no experience of academia. You have no personal experience with elite universities, either.

(1) You’ve based your assertions on QS. I have repeatedly told you, and you have repeatedly ignored that QS uses bibliometric data that is biased in favor of larger research universities. And, I have repeatedly told you, and you have repeatedly ignored, that Duke benefits from a large graduate cohot and programs — double the size of Durham, in fact.

(2) You have repeatedly ignored the fact that you are basing your “data” (in all reality, your “data set” is laughably small and inadequate) on a single QS metric. I have repeatedly told you the Durham outperforms Duke in certain QS subject rankings; just as Duke outperforms Durham in others.

(3) As has been repeatedly stated, and you have repeatedly ignored, the offer rate of a university is a practically irrelevant metric. Durham’s entry tariff, however, in excess of 500 points; placing is between 5th and 6th in the UK, above UCL. The grades required for Durham, and which Durham students do in fact obtain, are equal to those at Duke — if not better, actually, as the UK system of A-levels is more difficult than the US system.

(4) You have repeatedly talked about the cardiovascular center. That’s great. Durham doesn’t have a hospital, so no comparison can be made. Durham does, however, have a law school. And, if you’re looking at which university places graduates where, Durham law performs signifantly better than Duke.

(5) While your endowment point is valid, in so far as it accurate, endowment is not directly relevant — just like your citations of offer/acceptance rates. You’re, yet again, providing useless data. UCL, LSE, King’s also have small endowments.

(6) If you had any actual familiarity with the subject, you would know that Durham started foundation courses to provide wider access to higher education for economically disadvantaged students, or students who might, with extra education, do sufficiently well to enter Durham. The entire point of foundation was to open up access to education to reduce the elitist view of Durham which many had.

(7) Your comments on medical schools and performance in the UK versus US demonstrates that you have an extremely ignorant American-centric view of the world, based on little factual data and, instead, based on false political narratives. In fact, the UK outperforms the US in cost of health care and outcomes.

Since you’re being arrogant, and since I’m growing tired of it: It appears you couldn’t get into Duke, or any other similar or better Ivy League universities yourself. You have no personal experience with this level of University, so who really cares what your — largely uninformed — opinion is?

If Duke is so good, and you know so much, why couldn’t you get in? I got in. Truly, it’s not that difficult. I selected from among: Duke, Cornell, Michigan, Emory and NYU. For postgraduate studies, Duke wasn’t even on my radar as I selected from Harvard and Chicago.

In all reality, it’s extremely obvious that you’re biased in favor of Duke (perhaps you applied and were denied or you grew up in NC), but it’s not as amazing as you’re trying to make it out to be.

It’s not at HYPSM, Chicago, Columbia level. It’s in with the likes of Dartmouth, Hopkins, etc. Just as Duke is second-tier elite Univisity, so is Durham, LSE, UCL, King’s, etc.

ReputationRep:
    Its not just QS, its all the (country and international) major rankings.

Duke is the far superior instute of higher education.
    Have you sat SAT and if so what were your scores?

ReputationRep:
    I’m getting very bored with you. You’re an undergraduate, at Nottingham, with virtually no experience of academia. You have no personal experience with elite universities, either.

(1) You’ve based your assertions on QS. I have repeatedly told you, and you have repeatedly ignored that QS uses bibliometric data that is biased in favor of larger research universities. And, I have repeatedly told you, and you have repeatedly ignored, that Duke benefits from a large graduate cohot and programs — double the size of Durham, in fact.

(2) You have repeatedly ignored the fact that you are basing your “data” (in all reality, your “data set” is laughably small and inadequate) on a single QS metric. I have repeatedly told you the Durham outperforms Duke in certain QS subject rankings; just as Duke outperforms Durham in others.

(3) As has been repeatedly stated, and you have repeatedly ignored, the offer rate of a university is a practically irrelevant metric. Durham’s entry tariff, however, in excess of 500 points; placing is between 5th and 6th in the UK, above UCL. The grades required for Durham, and which Durham students do in fact obtain, are equal to those at Duke — if not better, actually, as the UK system of A-levels is more difficult than the US system.

(4) You have repeatedly talked about the cardiovascular center. That’s great. Durham doesn’t have a hospital, so no comparison can be made. Durham does, however, have a law school. And, if you’re looking at which university places graduates where, Durham law performs signifantly better than Duke.

(5) While your endowment point is valid, in so far as it accurate, endowment is not directly relevant — just like your citations of offer/acceptance rates. You’re, yet again, providing useless data. UCL, LSE, King’s also have small endowments.

(6) If you had any actual familiarity with the subject, you would know that Durham started foundation courses to provide wider access to higher education for economically disadvantaged students, or students who might, with extra education, do sufficiently well to enter Durham. The entire point of foundation was to open up access to education to reduce the elitist view of Durham which many had.

(7) Your comments on medical schools and performance in the UK versus US demonstrates that you have an extremely ignorant American-centric view of the world, based on little factual data and, instead, based on false political narratives. In fact, the UK outperforms the US in cost of health care and outcomes.

Since you’re being arrogant, and since I’m growing tired of it: It appears you couldn’t get into Duke, or any other similar or better Ivy League universities yourself. You have no personal experience with this level of University, so who really cares what your — largely uninformed — opinion is?

If Duke is so good, and you know so much, why couldn’t you get in? I got in. Truly, it’s not that difficult. I selected from among: Duke, Cornell, Michigan, Emory and NYU. For postgraduate studies, Duke wasn’t even on my radar as I selected from Harvard and Chicago.

In all reality, it’s extremely obvious that you’re biased in favor of Duke (perhaps you applied and were denied or you grew up in NC), but it’s not as amazing as you’re trying to make it out to be.

It’s not at HYPSM, Chicago, Columbia level. It’s in with the likes of Dartmouth, Hopkins, etc. Just as Duke is second-tier elite Univisity, so is Durham, LSE, UCL, King’s, etc.
    Universities arent judge off of academia experience or whatever, they are judged mainly of reputation with employers, i would take a Duke degree over Durham any day and so would you. That is if you had one, which you don't.

Im am EU citizen so its much more cost effective to do my degree here, as my homebase is in Germany and when im in America im too far away from my real estate responsibilites.

Had i applied to Duke I likely wouldnt have gotten in. No shame in admitting that,

Why you are naming these globally insignificant second tier not even elite universities are you trepid defense is unexplainable.

We were discussing Durham vs Duke

Duke is a much better known name around the world and a simple google search by an employer would convince them Duke is the far superior university.

I also stated this girl came from PRIVATE foundation. Not Durhams foundation, a truly elite university would not need to make offers to foundation courses looking to scoop up international students.

As the truly elite instuitions of this country rarely do, ie LSE, Oxbridge, UCL (only from their foundation).

I know quite a bit about the procedure,

further you might want to put your elitism aside and go ahead and respect Nottingham. Do what you like, its a global university, im not going to let some cupcake like you tell me otherwise.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ajj2000)
    Have you sat SAT and if so what were your scores?
    Never took the SAT when i graduated highschool i wasnt able to go to university as i had to care for a parent.

Only did foundation here, performed about average AAB

2% off triple A

though if i were to take the SAT I would likely score pretty high, not the most elite but upper 20% definitely.

ReputationRep:
    Never took the SAT when i graduated highschool i wasnt able to go to university as i had to care for a parent.

Only did foundation here, performed about average AAB

2% off triple A

though if i were to take the SAT I would likely score pretty high, not the most elite but upper 20% definitely.
    You did the University Foundation Programme and got AAB?

Isn't that course supposed to be piss easy?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Notoriety)
    You did the University Foundation Programme and got AAB?

Isn't that course supposed to be piss easy?
    I did a private foundation course in London, basically a 6 month course judged by QAA (some official place not sure if thats it) to be A level equivalent.. Its not that difficult but does entail a bit of work, especially if you have taken a long break from school. Its A level not rocket science.

But the SAT isnt any harder lol i've heard alot easier and more vague.

Would have been AAA but the final module i got a stingy teacher who decided to short me 2%. (Coursework based)

ReputationRep:
    Universities arent judge off of academia experience or whatever, they are judged mainly of reputation with employers, i would take a Duke degree over Durham any day and so would you. That is if you had one, which you don't.

Im am EU citizen so its much more cost effective to do my degree here, as my homebase is in Germany and when im in America im too far away from my real estate responsibilites.

Had i applied to Duke I likely wouldnt have gotten in. No shame in admitting that,

Why you are naming these globally insignificant second tier not even elite universities are you trepid defense is unexplainable.

We were discussing Durham vs Duke

Duke is a much better known name around the world and a simple google search by an employer would convince them Duke is the far superior university.

I also stated this girl came from PRIVATE foundation. Not Durhams foundation, a truly elite university would not need to make offers to foundation courses looking to scoop up international students.

As the truly elite instuitions of this country rarely do, ie LSE, Oxbridge, UCL (only from their foundation).

I know quite a bit about the procedure,

further you might want to put your elitism aside and go ahead and respect Nottingham. Do what you like, its a global university, im not going to let some cupcake like you tell me otherwise.
    Wow. You really just demonstrated your total lack of comprehension of proper research method, huh?

(1) You want to know which university between Duke and Durham has a better employer reputation? Why don’t you ask the QS rankings you’re so fond of? If you had bothered to look at the methodology and data in the QS, as I had repeatedly suggested to you, you know that one of the metrics is employer reputation. Duke has an employer reputation of 78.1; whereas universities ranked just above and below it have an employer reputation of 92.2 (University of Michigan) and 90.4 (Australian National). In contrast, Durham scores a 97.1.

Remeber all that time you were trying to brag about your data? Doesn’t it suck when you’ve been too arrogant to actually read the data?

(2) You know very little about admissions, I presume. Duke is a full-need university. Meaning that any demonstrated need would have been met by scholarship.

(3) Your knowledge of Universities and their practices remains extremely limited. Harvard has the extension school — a cash cow for them that has nowhere near the level of admissions standards as the College.

(4) Universities aren’t judged based on academia? Are you joking? How do you think Universities get their reputations? Better academics attract better funding, better funding attracts better students, and so on. A university’s primary concern is its academic reputation — because universities are, literally institutions of higher learning where academics at University A argue/debate/discuss with academics at University B.

globally insignificant second tier not even elite universities
    (5) All of the Universities I have named are extremely reputable universities. Emory, Hopkins and Duke are all in what is referred to as the T20 — the top 20 US undergraduate major research universities. Dartmouth and Cornell are Ivy League.... (Check US News rankings). Chicago isn’t Ivy League, but it’s primary “competition” is Harvard and Yale; and Columbia is the third most reputable ivy, after HYP. NYU and Michigan are among the largest research universities in the world and are, indeed, research powerhouses; though their undergraduate programs are not as stellar.

P.S. I don’t have a Duke degree because I didn’t want one. As I said, I was admitted but didn’t care to attend for undergrad; and for postgrad it wasn’t on my radar — my ultimate choices were between Chicago and Harvard.

Now, run along, silly undergraduate. Your own data has beaten you.

ReputationRep:
    Don’t be deceived by an American centric viewpoint.
    Don't be deceived by an English centric viewpoint.

ReputationRep:
    I've lived in Durham for nearly 18 years and love it! There are lots of trees and a river running through it. Anywhere you go you'll get a mix of types of people but from Durham uni everyone I've spoke to are very friendly, great fun, and also polite. It's very small for a city- depends on what you want to go for. There are a few pubs/nightclubs within the city centre which do student nights every so often. It's also about a 20 min train journey to Newcastle which has more entertainment. There are some major developments in Durham which are an eye sore but I head they should be finished in the next year or so. Accommodation is always going to be expensive in the first year but in the second and third there are some of the cheapest in the country (£75 pp for a house of 4 with 2 bathrooms, living room, bills, and kitchen).

Can't give any info about Warwich, never been. Hope this helped

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crashingLife())
    I applied to both and holding conditional offers from both I picked Warwick (for compsci).The PPE course at Warwick is a lot better and Warwick has great industrial links to firms in investment banking/finance. Although personally I know that Durham has a lot of prestige because it's old I felt that I would be very secluded there as it is a very small town, very far north of england with not many international students. And as an international student living in a very hot country it won't be a cake walk adjusting to life in the UK and I think that Durham would only make it harder for myself.
    you do realise Durham is a city rather than a town, albeit a small one...whereas Warwick is in the middle of nowhere - it's like a 20 min bus ride into the centre of Coventry...

ReputationRep:
    Wow. You really just demonstrated your total lack of comprehension of proper research method, huh?

(1) You want to know which university between Duke and Durham has a better employer reputation? Why don’t you ask the QS rankings you’re so fond of? If you had bothered to look at the methodology and data in the QS, as I had repeatedly suggested to you, you know that one of the metrics is employer reputation. Duke has an employer reputation of 78.1; whereas universities ranked just above and below it have an employer reputation of 92.2 (University of Michigan) and 90.4 (Australian National). In contrast, Durham scores a 97.1.

Remeber all that time you were trying to brag about your data? Doesn’t it suck when you’ve been too arrogant to actually read the data?

(2) You know very little about admissions, I presume. Duke is a full-need university. Meaning that any demonstrated need would have been met by scholarship.

(3) Your knowledge of Universities and their practices remains extremely limited. Harvard has the extension school — a cash cow for them that has nowhere near the level of admissions standards as the College.

(4) Universities aren’t judged based on academia? Are you joking? How do you think Universities get their reputations? Better academics attract better funding, better funding attracts better students, and so on. A university’s primary concern is its academic reputation — because universities are, literally institutions of higher learning where academics at University A argue/debate/discuss with academics at University B.

(5) All of the Universities I have named are extremely reputable universities. Emory, Hopkins and Duke are all in what is referred to as the T20 — the top 20 US undergraduate major research universities. Dartmouth and Cornell are Ivy League.... (Check US News rankings). Chicago isn’t Ivy League, but it’s primary “competition” is Harvard and Yale; and Columbia is the third most reputable ivy, after HYP. NYU and Michigan are among the largest research universities in the world and are, indeed, research powerhouses; though their undergraduate programs are not as stellar.

P.S. I don’t have a Duke degree because I didn’t want one. As I said, I was admitted but didn’t care to attend for undergrad; and for postgrad it wasn’t on my radar — my ultimate choices were between Chicago and Harvard.

Now, run along, silly undergraduate. Your own data has beaten you.

Your just typing alot...

But everyone here knows Duke University is just a tad better ranked and a tad more selective.

So apparently my Nottingham degree will get me further then a Duke degree?

Nottingham is 55th QS for graduate employability.

Like i said i combined and researched three major international rankings and couldnt find a shred of evidence stating Durham overall is as well known or securely in the top 30 globally.

It moves closer to its Russell group friends.

In the second tier...

Which Nottingham maybe at the lower end is still a part of!!!!!

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.