The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Durham or Warwick?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Kyber Ninja
Why does this thread have so many replies?

When someone tries to state a top 80ish school

is better then a global top 30 instuition..

Its a battle :smile:
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Original post by Realitysreflexx
Doonesbury, are you saying he is a reject of Duke University??? thanks for proving my point.

Further im from NC, i know how difficult it is to get into Duke. We had a kid in our school who aced the SAT went and took advanced maths at the community college in our city, who then got an offer to do nuclear engineering at Wake forest on a full ride.. Was rejected from Duke.

Wake forest is a damn private university.

Duke is impossible to get into.

Durham is much more accessible.

These simply are the facts.

Only the best and brightest get to Duke.

Don't you even read their posts? That explains a lot. They had an offer from Duke, and others, and decided to go elsewhere.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Doonesbury
Don't you even read their posts? That explains a lot. They had an offer from Duke, and others, and decided to go elsewhere.

Yea sure, i had an offer from Cambridge. Easy to say.
You didnt address my first hand knowledge of growing up in the state of Duke.

This is like me trying to explain something to you about the university in your region.

Hes lost..

Duke will always be superior to Durham.
Yea sure, i had an offer from Cambridge.

Except you didn't.

NYU is a long established member of TSR.
You aren't.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Except you didn't.

NYU is a long established member of TSR.
You aren't.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Idc who he is, he doesnt know what he is talking about. The rankings reflect this.
Yea sure, i had an offer from Cambridge. Easy to say.
You didnt address my first hand knowledge of growing up in the state of Duke.

This is like me trying to explain something to you about the university in your region.

Hes lost..

Duke will always be superior to Durham.

Funny enough the user named NYU2012 went to NYU. I am fairly confident they could have got themselves into Duke.
Doonesbury, are you saying he is a reject of Duke University??? thanks for proving my point.

Further im from NC, i know how difficult it is to get into Duke. We had a kid in our school who aced the SAT went and took advanced maths at the community college in our city, who then got an offer to do nuclear engineering at Wake forest on a full ride.. Was rejected from Duke.

Wake forest is a damn private university.

Duke is impossible to get into.

Durham is much more accessible.

These simply are the facts.

Only the best and brightest get to Duke.

Meh, tbh Durham students I'd wager are probably smarter on average.

only around 30% of students completing GCSEs go on to get 3 A Levels at any grade

only around 12% get AAA at A Level (let's assume this is typical for a Durham student).

In America, a lot more people reach the final year of high school where they can apply to college, because really, they don't have to go through that mass filtration phase of A Levels. They also filter on SAT, I personally did it and got 1580 with no practise. I don't think this test is a very good differentiator as well as A Levels are.

But despite that, it's more competitive sure, but not really for academic reasons. They're both academic as said, but in different ways. Naturally Duke requires other skills. I'd bet a large proportion of those students wouldn't get AAA, simply because they haven't done anything as challenging in high school, due to the nature of the curriculum. Particularly consider Cambridge and Imperial where the reqs are highest, often A*A*A, often with an entrance exam eg MAT/STEP, CAT/NSAA BMAT etc. That's not as easy as a high GPA in GCSE based theory and GCSE based entrance exam. Duke's offer rate is long twice as low, because of the accessibility, plus the uncapped application number in America and no real minimum requirements like those two have. Still have to obviously be smart to get in

In summary, it's more of a lottery with Duke than Durham, rather than any real academic difference. I'd pick Durham if I had the choice, but that's because I don't see myself working in America.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Notoriety
Funny enough the user named NYU2012 went to NYU. I am fairly confident they could have got themselves into Duke.

LoooL

Nice one.

👌

NYU 33% selective rating
Duke 9% most selective rating
Newsweek
Meh, tbh Durham students I'd wager are probably smarter on average.

only around 30% of students completing GCSEs go on to get 3 A Levels at any grade

only around 12% get AAA at A Level (let's assume this is typical for a Durham student).

In America, a lot more people reach the final year of high school where they can apply to college, because really, they don't have to go through that mass filtration phase of A Levels. They also filter on SAT, I personally did it and got 1580 with no practise. I don't think this test is a very good differentiator as well as A Levels are.

But despite that, it's more competitive sure, but not really for academic reasons. They're both academic as @NYU2012 said, but in different ways. Naturally Duke requires other skills. I'd bet a large proportion of those students wouldn't get AAA, simply because they haven't done anything as challenging in high school, due to the nature of the curriculum. Particularly consider Cambridge and Imperial where the reqs are highest, often A*A*A, often with an entrance exam eg MAT/STEP, CAT/NSAA BMAT etc. That's not as easy as a high GPA in GCSE based theory and GCSE based entrance exam. Duke's offer rate is long twice as low as those two.

In summary, it's more of a lottery with Duke than Durham, rather than any real academic difference. I'd pick Durham if I had the choice, but that's because I don't see myself working in America.

Thats a fair balanced viewpoint, something NYU isnt capable of making.

He is simply trying to say a top 30 global instuition is far less academically inclined then Durham its quite baffling. He hasnt a leg to stand upon.
Durham.
Idc who he is, he doesnt know what he is talking about. The rankings reflect this.

The employer reputation ranking?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thats a fair balanced viewpoint, something NYU isnt capable of making.

He is simply trying to say a top 30 global instuition is far less academically inclined then Durham its quite baffling. He hasnt a leg to stand upon.

I don't think he said that, I think he said they were basically level with each other.

based on my skim reading anyway.
Original post by Notoriety

Not with how American admissions are. You could get accepted at Harvard and rejected at MIT, Yale, and Stanford for instance.

It's a lottery

no minimum requirements, a curriculum that doesn't really discriminate academically, SAT and no limit on the number of unis you apply to creates this.

With how it is, someone from Durham could on paper match someone academically from Cambridge given how poorly they differentiate with their tests - they essentially have a low ceiling
(edited 6 years ago)

except he does.

you on the other hand seem to have this trend of talking out of your behind and displaying a very real, and frankly, perplexing inferiority complex about your university.

Posted from TSR Mobile
LoooL

Nice one.

👌

NYU 33% selective rating
Duke 9% most selective rating
Newsweek

Certainly he is a high calibre student who has no reason to lie about his acceptances.

Not with how American admissions are. You could get accepted at Harvard and rejected at MIT, Yale, and Stanford for instance.

It's a lottery

I said could.
(edited 6 years ago)
Why does this thread have so many replies?

No idea, but it seems like there’s someone trying to be the reincarnated version of PhilandTheo(?)
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by eloquent45
Have no idea, but it seems like there’s someone trying to be the second version of PhilandTheo(?)

There can be no second version; there's only one PhilandTheo and he died on Oxbridge decision day :frown:
The employer reputation ranking?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thats is one ranking, QS british based

Where Durham is top 50

Nottingham 55th (for context sake)

Duke 78th

That is not conclusive in defeating all the other rankings Duke defeats Durham in by wide ranking ranges.
Once again, several people from my foundation course got offers from Durham. One girl from your crown jewel argument of law school.

We werent even allowed to apply to the real crown jewels.

LSE, Oxbridge, UCL, Imperial...... St.Andrews no one wasted an application as far as i know.

Edinburgh, Durham, Warwick, Nottingham, Leeds all fair game.

So once again it is not in that same elite cluster please stop trying to put it there.

And it is not comparable to a top 30 QS and every other international league table school.

I will say no further.
There can be no second version; there's only one PhilandTheo and he died on Oxbridge decision day :frown:

10th January - in memoriam, PhilandTheo.
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending