Turn on thread page Beta

Dropping out of uni- good or bad? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    People drop out of uni for a whole host of reasons. Their family and friends can have a range of reactions from thinking it's the worst thing ever to congratulating them on having the guts to do it. It's not as simple as saying it's right or wrong, each case is different, but from a long term or employment perspective what do you things a prospective employers opinion on a uni 'drop out' would be?

On the one hand there's the view that someone who drops out has no staying power and is likely to quit when the going gets tough.

But on the other hand is it not a good thing that a person can recognise when they're in a situation that's not right for them and can take the steps to improving it?
    • Community Assistant
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Very Important Poster
    I think it depends. I have a friend who's failed almost every exam as he hates the degree. I think he may have been best dropping out and trying again for Medicine. With others, keeping at it is probably worthwhile even if they have to grit their teeth or suspend their studies.

Poll
Cats or dogs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.