Turn on thread page Beta

Possibly found a bone marrow donation match... Now what? watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I am a regular blood donor (16th time in two weeks) but I saw my account has been suspended for the next 3 months... Called up the NHS Blood and Transplant Service and they said there's a possibility they've found a tissue match with someone in need of a bone marrow transplant! I had signed up two years ago to the register but didn't really expect to ever get matched (like tinder ).

Very exciting news (tad scared too!) Does anyone have an experience as either the donor or recipient?

What's the process? How did you find it? Did you get to ever find out who you're helping? Can you go back to blood donations eventually?

ReputationRep:
    Bump
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by CTLevers)
    Hi,

I am a regular blood donor (16th time in two weeks) but I saw my account has been suspended for the next 3 months... Called up the NHS Blood and Transplant Service and they said there's a possibility they've found a tissue match with someone in need of a bone marrow transplant! I had signed up two years ago to the register but didn't really expect to ever get matched (like tinder ).

Very exciting news (tad scared too!) Does anyone have an experience as either the donor or recipient?

What's the process? How did you find it? Did you get to ever find out who you're helping? Can you go back to blood donations eventually?
    Hi. That's a really wonderful thing you might be doing.

I've had no experience myself and don't know a lot about the process, but this might help if you haven't already found it:
    https://www.nhsbt.nhs.uk/british-bon...ow-can-i-help/

It seems youtube also has a bunch of videos on it:
    https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...ng+bone+marrow
    Just bare in mind that it will probably involve input from other countries so the experience may be different over here and people tend to talk more about bad experiences cos they're more interesting than "everything was fine. the end." so if you see some bad experiences don't freak out.

Hope that helps and good luck with everything.

ReputationRep:
    Kindred

Thanks for the links, shall look at them tomorrow.

Yeah I was telling the nurse on the phone it would be amazing if that's the reason for the suspension!

I look forward to helping on a bigger scale, just hoping it isn't during exam season...
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 27, 2018
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.