Turn on thread page Beta

SR 2018: Cerian's #Walking4Wellness Blog watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JaseyB)
    If you don't mind me saying so your dog is adorable - does she like the snow? my dog loves to play in it which is a little odd cause she hates getting wet if it's raining.
    She doesn't like the heap of snow we have barricading the back door because it's as deep as her, therefore very cold on her tummy. She came with me for a walk yesterday and loved it, though. She ran miles ahead of me and frolicked in it. Was adorable to watch.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Day 4

Morning:
    After another closure on Monday, school finally reopened yesterday. The snow has been clearing since the weekend but school was closed on Monday due to the damage some classrooms had (our school's roof has needed refurbishment since my older siblings were there and snow actually got into some classrooms - my former I.C.T/current Business class was one of them!) So anyway, the site team obviously decided it was safe enough to open yesterday so we finally got back to normality!
    Now that I've started walking 2 miles to school again, I'm confident that my steps will go back to normal. The roads are pretty much clear but there's still loads of snow drifts and snow's been dug into piles that are blocking some pavements! I also slipped twice on the way there (thank god nobody was there to see) despite walking carefully. God knows how I'm gonna manage today because we have to go back to wearing school shoes and mine are like ballet pumps. :laugh:
    The only lessons I had yesterday were I.C.T fourth and fifth period. Rather than procrastinating/working in the common room as usual, though, I went down town after Reg. I was gonna return a mystery novel to the library but it was shut, so I decided to get my Mother's Day shopping over and done with before treating myself to a sausage roll and triple choc cookie from Gregg's.

Afternoon:
    I didn't get round to doing any step-ups so I had a pretty lazy afternoon/evening. I did, however, pop up the corner shop so I guess I did something.

Name:  Screenshot_20180307-062601-compressed.png.jpeg
Views: 6
Size:  45.2 KB

I think my Nokia has finally started counting all my steps again because this is my total for yesterday! So yeah, I'm obviously happy with this. I'm not gonna be doing any exercises this afternoon (sorry) because our school has Parent's Evening for sixth form today. Still, I should be able to pick up a few steps there.

ReputationRep:
    I usually get to school at around 08:00 - 08:05 (leave at 07:15). I left at the same time today with school shoes on because staff are now expecting us to wear them again, even though the pavements have black ice and some are still covered by heaps of snow that were dug up! It's unbelievable...the road/pavements were literally covered with ice before but walking to school has never been as treacherous as today.

Yesterday, I slipped three times and today, I slipped three times. I slipped twice with school shoes before I could even leave my street, so I went back and changed to trainers. Even with trainers on I slipped in the laneway because the pavement was covered and I had no choice but to walk on the road in way of oncoming traffic. Go figure, a car was driving up so I stepped onto this massive snow heap and then slipped as I jumped back down. It bloody stung too.

ReputationRep:
    Gosh it seems to take you a whilst to walk 2miles? in the snowy conditions I can understand but is it that long in normal weather conditions? Also any school that doesnt allow it's students to wear suitable footwear for the conditions outside are, in my opinion, being rather irresponsible. Glad your steps count is back to where you wanted it though. Also the sausage roll sounded delicious.

ReputationRep:
    Day 5

Morning:
    I slipped three times again on the way to school. Two of those were with my school shoes (which are basically black ballet pumps with no grip) before I could even leave my street! Idc if the staff expect us to wear normal shoes now; I'm wearing my trainers until the pavements are clear. It's not like I'm refusing to wear school shoes because I took those and changed footwear on the premises so...
    Anyway, the walk has started bringing my step count back to normal so that's good. The walk to school told me not to bother going down town for my frees because the pavements were too perilous. So I watched Business videos and did my homework last minute (with a bit of procrastination in between!)

Afternoon:
    Thankfully, Parent's Evening didn't last as long as it normally does because I only had to see four teachers - perks of being a sixth former! Which was a relief for me because I find Parent's Evening difficult for sensory reasons (noise overload for my ears and discomfort in crowds). So yeah, that gave me an opportunity to get some steps in. And my reports were all good so...

Attachment 729730

Today's total.

ReputationRep:
    Gosh it seems to take you a whilst to walk 2miles? in the snowy conditions I can understand but is it that long in normal weather conditions? Also any school that doesnt allow it's students to wear suitable footwear for the conditions outside are, in my opinion, being rather irresponsible. Glad your steps count is back to where you wanted it though. Also the sausage roll sounded delicious.
    I'm a fast walker but it takes me about 40 minutes roughly, which is why I leave so ridiculously early each morning. The fact it takes a fast walker 40 minutes just tells you how much of a distance I cover. It took me much longer today because of the ice/snow and the fact some pavements are covered, forcing us to walk on the road. There is a school bus available which I use in the afternoons (unless I walk home when I've got no remaining lessons).

ReputationRep:
    I see I am guessing it must be a little bit more than 2miles then - as on average people walking at a normal speed will likely cover 1 mile every 15minutes, at least I know I do. I dislike loud noises and being in crowds too although I am highly sensitive is this also the same for you?

ReputationRep:
    I see I am guessing it must be a little bit more than 2miles then - as on average people walking at a normal speed will likely cover 1 mile every 15minutes, at least I know I do. I dislike loud noises and being in crowds too although I am highly sensitive is this also the same for you?
    That's fair enough. I think it may be slightly more than 2 miles but I use that as an approximation because I don't know the exact distance.

I wouldn't say I'm highly sensitive per se. I am autistic though. I've always felt uncomfortable in crowds and I used to be the kid covering my ears in the canteen back in infant school. I noticed my aversion to noise had come back when I was 15 so I hear all sounds at the same volume when I'm in a crowded place. Sometimes in the classroom too.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 7, 2018
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.