Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I am really struggling In Spanish at the moment, do you guys have any suggestions on how to improve quickly? A level spanish is so much harder than I thought it would be hahha
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    What in particular do u find yourself struggling with?

ReputationRep:
    Just all of it really like learning the grammar and vocab & especially the listening because it’s so much faster than I’m used to

ReputationRep:
    I'm also doing Spanish A Level. I agree that it's tough, but what I find works best for me is using quizlet to learn topic specific vocab: this can really help and only takes a couple minutes of practice on a semi-regular basis. Do you have access to a textbook? (Online or physical?) I don't know what exam board you're doing, but in my textbook at least, there's vocab lists at the end of every topic which are really useful.

As for the grammar, I'd say it's important to learn the basic rules rather than the irregulars: learn the regular present tense, past tense and future tense endings. Then, what I do, is I keep a journal in Spanish, just dumb stuff I write down for practice, can be about anything (this is a trick my Spanish teacher last year taught me: he said if you ever want to practice your Spanish randomly, pick something you like - could be a book, a movie, a TV show etc - and just write about it in Spanish. That way, you will pick up the common irregular verb conjugations like ser and tener because you'll be using them so often. Definitely the best way to learn a foreign language is to practice.

Both of these things will help with the listening side, but I'd say what's key to that is maybe just getting used to hearing conversational Spanish. If you have Netflix, there are loads of Spanish TV shows or English shows with Spanish characters which can get you into the right mindset when you hear Spanish.

Also, as with any other subject, do loads of practice papers!!!!!

Sorry this is so long, I hope you find it helpful!! Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Thank you so much! I do AQA and have a textbook so will have a look for that vocab. Can you recommend me any tv programmes on Netflix? & do you know where I can find extension stuff? Thank you!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by devonwright2)
    Thank you so much! I do AQA and have a textbook so will have a look for that vocab. Can you recommend me any tv programmes on Netflix? & do you know where I can find extension stuff? Thank you!!
    Netflix has a lot of Spanish series. If you like dramas, then I would recommend “Chicas de la cable” (no idea what it is in English).

ReputationRep:
    Okay cool, thank you!

ReputationRep:
    I am really struggling In Spanish at the moment, do you guys have any suggestions on how to improve quickly? A level spanish is so much harder than I thought it would be hahha
    I'd suggest using Memrise, make an account, and find a good a level course. It's really good to help you learn vocab.

memrise.com

ReputationRep:
    Ooo ok I’ll try that, thank you

ReputationRep:
    No problem! I do AQA too so I know that in the textbook there's a bunch of reading tasks. I'd say that they're really useful extension tasks to try outside of school: reading through the texts to try and see if you can understand them, translating them mentally into English and looking up any vocab you don't know is so helpful. If there is any vocab I don't know, I'll note it down and add it to my Quizlet sets. Other than that past papers are really so useful, it gets you used to what the exam wants from you.

As for TV shows, I agree with the above about Cable Girls. I haven't gotten around to watching it myself, but it comes highly reccommended by my Spanish teacher, as well as Narcos. I'd also reccommend a film on Netflix called 7:19, which is about an earthquake. If you're looking for Spanish-lite, Jane the Virgin is an American show with characters who speak Spanish. I would say to note that depending on the country, there are some pronunciation differences to Spain-Spanish.

ReputationRep:
    Okay cool, will have a watch of those! Thanks for all the help

ReputationRep:
    For tv shows, I can second Cable Girls! Jane the Virgin is good because it’s not so much spanish that you lose concentration, or Teresa is a good telenovela. Also, if you have Netflix, there are some shows and films which you can change into Spanish so you can watch a film you already know in Spanish and/ or with subtitles.

ReputationRep:
    Ok I’ll do that, thank youuu!

ReputationRep:
    Another TV programme I recommend is 'Locked Up', it's on e4 so is free if you didn't have Netflix. It's more of a crime drama so you do need to concentrate when watching it but I binge watched because it's so gripping and it has subtitles!

ReputationRep:
    Ooo I love crime dramas, sounds like a good one!

ReputationRep:
    the best thing you can possibly do is read Spanish books, even if you don't understand some parts, it will do you wonders. If you read a lot, the words will come out naturally when you write, and you won't have to be thinkg of all the conjugaciones of one verb just to get to the one you need to use. Try some kids books like Geronimo Stilton or Judy b. Jones.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dowell1475)
    the best thing you can possibly do is read Spanish books, even if you don't understand some parts, it will do you wonders. If you read a lot, the words will come out naturally when you write, and you won't have to be thinkg of all the conjugaciones of one verb just to get to the one you need to use. Try some kids books like Geronimo Stilton or Judy b. Jones.
    Okay cool, will give that a go. Thank you!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 16, 2018

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.