Turn on thread page Beta

Should male circumcision be illegal in the UK? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wilfred Little)
    Posts like this are the worst.

Are you implying you agree with infant circumcision because you prefer how it looks?
    Yes.

Trust me circumcised penis is much nicer looking and much better when performing fellatio

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Haviland-Tuf)
    Yes.

Trust me circumcised penis is much nicer looking and much better when performing fellatio
    Fortunately I doubt many people have much interest in pleasing you personally. Many girls feel the polar opposite, and seeing as once it's done you can never go back I would have said there's better odds to wait til the boy is a man and decide then.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dheorl)
    Fortunately I doubt many people have much interest in pleasing you personally. Many girls feel the polar opposite, and seeing as once it's done you can never go back I would have said there's better odds to wait til the boy is a man and decide then.
    It is much more painful and awkward to get when you're older. Parents do it when boys are young because it is logistically easier and you can't even remember having it done or any pain. For example, I don't remember it and I was 5 when they decided to circumcise me.

ReputationRep:
    Any benefit is dubious at best and easily accomplished through less damaging means.

On the other hand the baby can die because of the procedure.

There's no case for education, there's no "it should be eased out". It should be illegal, right now, plain and simple. The 14 year sentence for FGM seems suitable, and if the baby dies then do them for murder as well. Be harsh enough on anyone who still tries to do it and it will fade out quick enough.

If we for some inane reason keep it, we may as well start removing appendixes at birth (1 in 13 chance of being a problem) and breast tissue (1 in 8 chance of being a problem).

ReputationRep:
    Any benefit is dubious at best and easily accomplished through less damaging means.

On the other hand the baby can die because of the procedure.

There's no case for education, there's no "it should be eased out". It should be illegal, right now, plain and simple. The 14 year sentence for FGM seems suitable, and if the baby dies then do them for murder as well. Be harsh enough on anyone who still tries to do it and it will fade out quick enough.

If we for some inane reason keep it, we may as well start removing appendixes at birth (1 in 13 chance of being a problem) and breast tissue (1 in 8 chance of being a problem).
    You're a fascist and your opinion is very dictatorial. Stop perpetuating cultural colonialism by trying to tell people of faith what they should and shouldn't be doing.

ReputationRep:
    You're a fascist and your opinion is very dictatorial. Stop perpetuating cultural colonialism by trying to tell people of faith what they should and shouldn't be doing.
    Frankly my dear, when it comes to mutilating babies, I really don't give a damn if you think my opinion is fascist or dictatorial (I mean you're wrong either way, but w/e). In fact, considering you think a potentially life threatening procedure should be carried out because you find it aesthetically pleasing, I really don't give a damn about your opinion on anything, but that's a different matter entirely.

ReputationRep:
    Frankly my dear, when it comes to mutilating babies, I really don't give a damn if you think my opinion is fascist or dictatorial (I mean you're wrong either way, but w/e). In fact, considering you think a potentially life threatening procedure should be carried out because you find it aesthetically pleasing, I really don't give a damn about your opinion on anything, but that's a different matter entirely.
    Yep, being against the mutilation of babies is not fascist or wrong in any way. Not all religious practices should be allowed if they cause harm or take away choice from people.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    As many others have said before, there are countless things that put forward on babies that they do not consent to, however parents have the best in mind therefore i don't think it should be illegal because the negatives (if there are any) do not outweigh the positives it brings. How is keeping a male's genitalia more hygienic taken to the level where it should be illegal?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Neesaaaa)
    Circumcision has been proven to have health benefits and is usually done with good intentions whereas FGM is a direct cause of infertility and infections which can in some cases cause death. Also circumcision is done early on and with anesthesia whereas FGM is excruciatingly painful. FGM is done to stop girls from enjoying sex, increase pleasure for men and to stop them from engaging in sex before marriage (as well as other reasons) whereas circumcision is for cleanliness.

Not much of a comparison between them really.
    There is no solid evidence that circumcision has health benefits or helps with cleanliness. It is done in the UK for religious reasons and people try to use health and cleanliness as an excuse for their religious beliefs.

(Original post by Neesaaaa)
    I get your point and just out of interest why would a guy actually wish he had kept it?
    Because he doesn't want to have had a part of his body removed for the sake of a religion he hates and doesn't follow?

ReputationRep:
    It is ok (and i would say morraly required) to tell other people what they should have shouldn't do TO OTHER PEOPLE.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abida.etc)
    As many others have said before, there are countless things that put forward on babies that they do not consent to, however parents have the best in mind therefore i don't think it should be illegal because the negatives (if there are any) do not outweigh the positives it brings. How is keeping a male's genitalia more hygienic taken to the level where it should be illegal?
    Having "best in mind" does not magically justify doing it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pigster)
    So why do you agree with MGM?
    Fgm causes problems and isn't mandated by any major religion

ReputationRep:
    my parents were nice because when i turned 14, they asked if i want it cut or not

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trapz99)
    Fgm causes problems
    Are you denying that MGM causes problems?

Are you saying the cases or disfigurement, infection and even death are coincidental?

(Original post by Trapz99)
    Fgm ... isn't mandated by any major religion
    So, if a major religion says it is OK, then everyone just has to accept it.

But, if a minor religion wants to do something (FGM), that's not OK and we prosecute.

It is, for you, simply a case of majority rules?

When does a minor religion become a major one? If an FGM mandating religion grew in numbers of adherants, would you support FGM?

What if more people in the world were against MGM than for it, should the majority rule be implemented? In that case should circumcision be banned?

ReputationRep:
    But its beneficial even if the baby doesn't give sense. You may think it doesn't justify it, but you could say that about other things like vaccinations. There are pros and cons of everything but vaccinations help more than hinder, the education system as corrupted as it is, helps more than hinders, high tax rates, to an extent theoretically, help more than hinder etc etc etc.

ReputationRep:
    But its beneficial even if the baby doesn't give sense. You may think it doesn't justify it, but you could say that about other things like vaccinations. There are pros and cons of everything but vaccinations help more than hinder, the education system as corrupted as it is, helps more than hinders, high tax rates, to an extent theoretically, help more than hinder etc etc etc.
    It is not enough that there are pros and cons of doing it.
    It has to be ether absolutely necessary or the benefits must outweigh the cons so much that it can objectivity be said to be in the infants best interest.

ReputationRep:
    There are some people who would regard the positives of being uncircumcised as more important and more enticing to them than the negatives (which most have already been disproven or rendered trivial and easily solvable).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pigster)
    Are you denying that MGM causes problems?

Are you saying the cases or disfigurement, infection and even death are coincidental?

So, if a major religion says it is OK, then everyone just has to accept it.

But, if a minor religion wants to do something (FGM), that's not OK and we prosecute.

It is, for you, simply a case of majority rules?

When does a minor religion become a major one? If an FGM mandating religion grew in numbers of adherants, would you support FGM?

What if more people in the world were against MGM than for it, should the majority rule be implemented? In that case should circumcision be banned?
    MGM rarely ever causes any problems. It can actually be beneficial in some cases.
    FGM is widely considered to cause problems and does not have any possible benefits.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    FGM is illegal so circumcision should be too. When mutilation happens due to control of one sex, it's illegal but when it's religion, it's fine? Doesn't make sense to me and the kid doesn't give consent! It's an outdated and pointless tradition.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hajima)
    Yes.
    People often claim that you're at less risk of getting HIV if you're circumcised, and they also claim that it's easier to keep clean. However these are, in my opinion, just petty justifications for what's a purely cultural or religious procedure that provides no real benefit at all. First of all, both the problems listed above can be fixed with adequate education about STIs and basic hygiene, to justify removing such a sensitive part of the body at an age in which they can't consent, just because 'it's easier to clean' or 'I don't want to talk to my children about STIs' is frankly cruel and unacceptable in a modern society. Second of all, no, your religious rights should not extend that far. End of.
    Absolutely agree.
    It's slicing baby p*nis, for goodness sake. No body part should be altered without consent, especially for solely religious reasons, regardless of extra justification.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should universities take a stronger line on drugs?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.