Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trapz99)
    MGM rarely ever causes any problems. It can actually be beneficial in some cases.
    FGM is widely considered to cause problems and does not have any possible benefits.
    Depending which study you look at, there is between 100 to 200 deaths per year due to circumcision in the USA. Sure, it only accounts for maybe 1% of deaths, but that's over 100 babies a year that are dead for what? Having a penis that's easier to clean? And what type of retard can't clean their penis, circumcised or not?

ReputationRep:
    Prior to adulthood, yeah, but it won't be, so whatever.

ReputationRep:
    Yes.

First of all children can't consent to it, and I know they can't consent to a lot of things i.e. vaccines and other medical things, but I feel that this is definitely something to draw the line at as there is literally no benefit to it. It is 100% genital mutilation. If we decided to cut everything off because it was cleaner then we might as well chop off our ears at birth because we don't want to have to clean earwax. It may be something like 5% less chance of HIV or other STDs, but a condom has a 99% and I feel like the average person would rather buy a condom (even though its not hard to get them for free) than chop off a piece off their ****. Also the removal of the head also creates dryness and loss of sensitivity which adds another issue.

I can understand that people do this is as a religious reason and even then I think it's a seriously outdated method and totally inhumane, I'd make it illegal for under 18s, unless they had no choice but do circumcise an infant due to medical reasons. If they want to partake in it for religious reasons, and they are an adult who is aware of what they're going through and are making the choice themselves, then they can do it. But even then, I can guarantee you that 99% of religious people at that age would want nothing to do with it.

ReputationRep:
    Ahh fair enough. Let people do what they want ✌

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dheorl)
    Any benefit is dubious at best and easily accomplished through less damaging means.

On the other hand the baby can die because of the procedure.

There's no case for education, there's no "it should be eased out". It should be illegal, right now, plain and simple. The 14 year sentence for FGM seems suitable, and if the baby dies then do them for murder as well. Be harsh enough on anyone who still tries to do it and it will fade out quick enough.

If we for some inane reason keep it, we may as well start removing appendixes at birth (1 in 13 chance of being a problem) and breast tissue (1 in 8 chance of being a problem).
    I agree with you about MGM that it should be illegal however if it was people would still circumcision there boys and it could be very dangerous and lead to deaths of children.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HighOnGoofballs)
    Thoughts?
    No. Some people have it done for health reasons, not just religious.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by looloo2134)
    I agree with you about MGM that it should be illegal however if it was people would still circumcision there boys and it could be very dangerous and lead to deaths of children.
    Then said people would be done for murder and we'd have less scum walking around in society. People would soon learn.

ReputationRep:
    As someone who went through circumcision which basically means I had the foreskin of my **** cut off 8 years ago I think yes it should be made illegal
    You just can't imagine the pain I went through, just remembering those days is making me sick, the doctor didn't even give me anesthesia, he basically cut off the foreskin of my **** WITHOUT ANESTHESIA and it was PAINFUL AS ****, like literally the pain was so.....extreme I felt I was gonna die. During the operation I had a peek at the state of my penis was in during the operation and oh my it was simply horrible I fainted straight away after seeing it, I then vomited after the operation almost came to an end and was unconscious for 6 hours. Although the fact that circumcision keeps your penis cleaner is actually true, before circumcision my penis just stank on the tip, after circumcision my penis did not stink anymore.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The RAR)
    Although the fact that circumcision keeps your penis cleaner is actually true, before circumcision my penis just stank on the tip, after circumcision my penis did not stink anymore.
    If your hygiene regime is utter dog **** (or you had a condition that meant you couldn't clean under the skin) then this may be true. Instead of having the end cut off though you could, you know, just wash it properly.

ReputationRep:
    If your hygiene regime is utter dog **** (or you had a condition that meant you couldn't clean under the skin) then this may be true. Instead of having the end cut off though you could, you know, just wash it properly.
    That is when I was really young so I was still immature about hygiene, yes just washing the penis is enough tbh but is not like I had a choice, I was forced into circumcision.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The RAR)
    That is when I was really young so I was still immature about hygiene, yes just washing the penis is enough tbh but is not like I had a choice, I was forced into circumcision.
    Oh, I'm not saying you did it for that reason, I feel incredibly sorry for you that you got forced into it. I just didn't want anyone to read that and think there was any reason an uncircumcised penis couldn't be as clean and fresh smelling as a circumcised one.

ReputationRep:
    Oh, I'm not saying you did it for that reason, I feel incredibly sorry for you that you got forced into it. I just didn't want anyone to read that and think there was any reason an uncircumcised penis couldn't be as clean and fresh smelling as a circumcised one.
    Ah thanks man, I just do not wish this experience on anyone else, I have a brother who hasn't been circumcised yet and I will try my best to make sure he doesn't get circumcised, the pain he will have to go through is atrocious.

ReputationRep:
    FGM is widely considered to cause problems and does not have any possible benefits.
    No. That wasn't your point. You said, "Fgm ... isn't mandated by any major religion", i.e. if FGM was mandated by any major religion then it should be allowed.

ReputationRep:
    Children can't consent to a lot of things.

Vaccinations, medicine, baptism, being taken places...the list goes on.

Where do you draw the line?
    non-reversible mutilation of an infant who cannot consent and when it is not medically necessary to do so.

As lines go, this one is REALLY THICK and should not be controversial

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anon7654)
    No. Some people have it done for health reasons, not just religious.

Circumcision as a necessary medical procedure would, of course, not be banned.

ReputationRep:
    How is this even a discussion? Of course it should be banned when not medically indicated such as in cases of phimosis or frenulum breve. Obscene religious interests shouldn't be catered for at the expense of a baby's bodily integrity. Not even going to start on pedo Jewish priests putting freshly mutilated baby penises into their mouths.

ReputationRep:
    I do find it funny that some people can't seem to distinguish between a procedure done because it's medically necessary, and one being done because the misinformed parents think it's best. I wonder if these same people would advocate a parent selling a child's kidney so they can send them to a better school. The benefits of a better school are easy to see, yet people can happily live with only one kidney.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pigster)
    No. That wasn't your point. You said, "Fgm ... isn't mandated by any major religion", i.e. if FGM was mandated by any major religion then it should be allowed.
    Perhaps, otherwise that would infringe on their religious freedom imo
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    Thoughts?
    It should be a matter of choice and we shouldn't stand in the way of those who decide to have a circumcision because of religious reasons nor should be stand against those who need to have a circumcision because of medical reasons.

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps, otherwise that would infringe on their religious freedom imo
    So, contrary to your earlier claim, you are in fact in favour of FGM, "otherwise that would infringe on ... religious freedom"

Where would it stop?

If a religion starts that mandates necrophilia, rape, incest, murder etc. and it becomes a major religion, would you be in favour of the adherents carrying out such horrific activities, "otherwise that would infringe on their religious freedom imo"

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.