Turn on thread page Beta

EU to ban British people with criminal records travelling to EU countries. watch

ReputationRep:
    The EU is to ban all non-Europeans with criminal records from its visa waiver system or something. It will also ban people whose records are not considered spent.

Source : news on car Radio around 4:30 pm today.

An independent travel consultant/ reporter said it will also affect British tourists with convictions going on holiday to Spain etc after Brexit...

How one Earth will the immigration in each country know if someone from Britain has a criminal record if they fail to disclose it on a visa application? There are a lot of people with convictions for petty things like train fare evasion, drink driving, failure to pay Council tax etc. Surely the Spanish for example don’t have a data base?

While I don’t condone criminals it seems this is another attack by the EU on Britain. Why can’t they just leave us alone?

ReputationRep:
    its the same as any country not part of the EU tho?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    It's not that bad, I'm sure they won't do it for petty crimes. If they do then it's pretty bad but otherwise it kind of makes sense (still pretty unnecessary though).
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    I dispute drink driving being referred to as "petty". It's a serious offence and I have no respect for anyone who is found guilty of it.

Regarding criminal records I don't see the problem, i'd assume this was a given and I'd expect Britain to apply the same logic in reverse.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    I tried searching online and can't find anything regarding this. Do you have a link?

Irrespective, I'm not sure why you're crying over the EU trying to work out things from their side of Brexit. What do you expect them to do?

ReputationRep:
    Brexit means no exit lol, get it.

ReputationRep:
    Travel restrictions should be an option for the courts as sentencing. Especially for white collar crime.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Could be worse and hardly out of line with international norms.
    With that being said I'm curious how they would know? Criminal records aren't a shared database except in certain circumstances and your average border guard is not going to know a thing about your past unless you have some form of international warrant out for you.

ReputationRep:
    Good. Why would you want criminals coming into your country? We should do the same.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Student-95)
    Good. Why would you want criminals coming into your country? We should do the same.
    In fairness this will likely work out worse for us - we have a long established history of exporting various undesirables to Europe, Spain had a particular draw for them.

ReputationRep:
    I don't see how this is an attack on the UK... Most countries do this anyway, particularly places like Australia where you probably wouldn't even get in as a foreigner with a criminal record.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ambitious1999)
    The EU is to ban all non-Europeans with criminal records from its visa waiver system or something. It will also ban people whose records are not considered spent.

Source : news on car Radio around 4:30 pm today.

An independent travel consultant/ reporter said it will also affect British tourists with convictions going on holiday to Spain etc after Brexit...

How one Earth will the immigration in each country know if someone from Britain has a criminal record if they fail to disclose it on a visa application? There are a lot of people with convictions for petty things like train fare evasion, drink driving, failure to pay Council tax etc. Surely the Spanish for example don’t have a data base?

While I don’t condone criminals it seems this is another attack by the EU on Britain. Why can’t they just leave us alone?
    So wait...

For years, Euroskeptics have complained that the EU's freedom of movement allows foreign people with criminal records into the country. Now, you complain that the EU is preventing such people from the UK from traveling to Europe?

ReputationRep:
    To be honest, UK should do exactly the same to wander off criminals coming into the country.

ReputationRep:
    Its no different to other countries who have a Visa Waiver system e.g. US

I assume it will be based on the applicant declaring if they have a criminal conviction

ReputationRep:
    That's fine, we'll just not give them our tourism money, but accept theirs when they come to see the Queen.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheMcSame)
    , particularly places like Australia where you probably wouldn't even get in as a foreigner with a criminal record.
    Absolutely! Gone are the days when only those with a criminal record could get in.

ReputationRep:
    well...
    after all- the "taking back control" means having more to say about who crosses the borders (as if now we wouldn't have it...)- it would be stupid to assume it would work one-way only. However I do not believe that that kind of visa system will be in place for eu-uk travellers anyway.

ReputationRep:
    As they rightfully should. We don't want their criminals, why should they take ours?

ReputationRep:
    Why can;t we keep EU citizens with a criminal record out and deport them if they commit a crime?

ReputationRep:
    Now we need to ban EU criminals and deport the ones in the UK

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.