Turn on thread page Beta

Trying to budget for university watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I'm looking into making Manchester Metropolitan University my firm choice and was looking at the accommodation for Cambridge which is £106pw.

I'm planning on getting a part time job whilst I'm studying there, but I was wondering if anyone could give me a rough estimate into how much it would be per month with all the basic food included and no luxury items etc.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated!!
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Food is something that could cost you £20-40 a week, there's many essential costs that you can find a way to make cheaper.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you, I'm just trying to work out some of the essentials so I'm a bit better prepared for September.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Shaun King)
    Thank you, I'm just trying to work out some of the essentials so I'm a bit better prepared for September.
    Make sure you factor in some wriggle room each week too. You're bound to have unexpected expenses now and again.

ReputationRep:
    Hi! I'm also starting uni next year and this is what I've budgetted per month. I'm quite afraid of getting into financial trouble so I think it's a bit too much, you'd probably be able to get by with less money. Hope it still helps

Accommodation - 430
    Food - 120
    Entertainment/going out etc - 150
    Books/other uni supplies - 30
    Transport - 70 (do note this includes flying home 3 times/year, would probably be a lot less for you)
    Clothes/laundry - 50
    Phone - 10
    Total - 860 pounds per month

ReputationRep:
    Thank you so much, this is a massive help! It's so stressful trying to organise your whole year in advance😅

I'm still trying to see how much I'll have for student loans, I think I've worked it out with the calculator, but I'm still confused..

I hope that you have a great start to your new uni life next year!!

Poll
Could you cope without Wifi?
  • create my feed
  • edit my feed

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.