Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,
    I'm looking for some advice. My parents both seem to think that the university course I really want to do won't get me anywhere in life. I'd love to study Japanese Studies and Politics. Do you think this is a good choice of course? Or is it pointless?

(I know I should really just do what I want, but it's a lot of debt to get into just to do something I love unfortunately.)

Thank you in advance.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    would you be interested in being a translator?

ReputationRep:
    Tell them that there are lots of good jobs that you can do with any subject, like accounting or marketing. I know people from my school who studied politics and are now working in accounting and management consulting or for a think tank or in the civil service.

ReputationRep:
    do what u want, if anything bad happens or things dont work out (god forbid) then tough, thats life tbh. our parents were raised in a completely different world in terms of the economy and job prospects so might not fully understand, just try to convince them to not look down upon everything u do and that things are different. if they dont, tough, ur old enough to do what u want

ReputationRep:
    That depends. What do you want to do in life? Are you interested in the kinds of jobs that don’t require a specific degree subject to go into? Or do you want to work in a field related to what you study? If the former - great. You can show your parents some of the roles you can apply for with your degree and come up with some ideas for how to gain experience in those sectors while you are at university (e.g. joining your student paper if you want to go into journalism, etc). If the latter, great. You could might be interested in the diplomatic service for example (highly competitive and you don’t necessarily need a related degree to get into, but relevant to your choices), or policy analysis, etc.

Or do you just not know what you want to do and just want to study something you like right now? If so, that’s okay, but it is really worth you thinking about how you can make the most of your choice once you graduate, because just studying what you love is unfortunately not necessarily of lasting benefit to your life. Don’t get me wrong - lots of people do it and don’t regret it. But equally lots of people do. So do your research and think about your options before committing.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Tbh it's your choice and your future

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by YouAreAYute)
    would you be interested in being a translator?
    Possibly, it would depend on how fluent I became in the language I suppose.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ladbants)
    Tell them that there are lots of good jobs that you can do with any subject, like accounting or marketing. I know people from my school who studied politics and are now working in accounting and management consulting or for a think tank or in the civil service.
    Thanks a lot! I'll tell them that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hellohellothere)
    do what u want, if anything bad happens or things dont work out (god forbid) then tough, thats life tbh. our parents were raised in a completely different world in terms of the economy and job prospects so might not fully understand, just try to convince them to not look down upon everything u do and that things are different. if they dont, tough, ur old enough to do what u want
    Yeah, that's true. I do feel like no matter what I pick they'll look down on me in some way. Thank you for the advice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by laurenai)
    Yeah, that's true. I do feel like no matter what I pick they'll look down on me in some way. Thank you for the advice.
    no problem love, good luck

ReputationRep:
    You gotta do what interests you. When I chose sociology my dad told me there was nothing I could do with it but I would’ve hated anything else, I love sociology. At the end of the day having this degree IS bettering yourself and will help you. Look at graduate schemes you might be interested in and show them

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 4, 2018
Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.