Turn on thread page Beta

Looking for help and advice regarding student accommodation! watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,
    I struggle with severe anxiety and therefore would massively struggle living in student accommodation. I was wondering if there was any alternatives, or would I be able to live with my boyfriend within student accomodation? This is a huge issue for me and would potentially hold me back from going to my preferred universities. Thanks in advance.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Hiya!
    I'm not sure how many unis have this option but I know that Newcastle University has "Couples accommodation", so that could be a good path to go down and something worth looking into. You should check if your preferred universities have this type of accommodation too as it would mean you being able to live with your boyfriend. Hope it all goes well!

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I suffer with anxiety as well ( not social as i am assuming you have). Once you get into student life its not as bad. its a bit rocky in the first couple of weeks but then as you gain some friends it might calm down a bit. As for living with you boyfriend in uni accommodation i dont think it is allowed just because they do independent contracts with each student. However you could try going with a private renting association in the area of the uni. If you would like to live with your boyfriend thats what i would suggest, however you would then still be living with other people in the house as there arent many that do student houses for two people. But thats all i can suggest im afraid.

ReputationRep:
    I would work on dealing with your anxiety before you go to uni tbh. Living with your BF isn't a solution, you can't be so reliant on him and in all honetsy you can't be sure the relationship will last and what happens to you then? A few unis have couples accommodation but not many (esp. for undergrads) so it's unlikely to be possible. You can find quieter options than the typical halls scenario which might help but you need to get yourself into a decent place first.

ReputationRep:
    I'm
    (Original post by doodle_333)
    I would work on dealing with your anxiety before you go to uni tbh. Living with your BF isn't a solution, you can't be so reliant on him and in all honetsy you can't be sure the relationship will last and what happens to you then? A few unis have couples accommodation but not many (esp. for undergrads) so it's unlikely to be possible. You can find quieter options than the typical halls scenario which might help but you need to get yourself into a decent place first.
    I've suffered with anxiety since I was 12, and hqve already taken time off college etc to try and improve my mental health. However, I'm now 18 and I'll be going to university in 2019. I've already delayed it and done as much as I can, I don't think i can just 'deal with my anxiety' before university. We've been together for three years and are engaged, so I'm not worried about that at all, honestly. Thanks for the advice, but I don't really think it'll help much. 😅

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nonnahslouise)
    Hi, I suffer with anxiety as well ( not social as i am assuming you have). Once you get into student life its not as bad. its a bit rocky in the first couple of weeks but then as you gain some friends it might calm down a bit. As for living with you boyfriend in uni accommodation i dont think it is allowed just because they do independent contracts with each student. However you could try going with a private renting association in the area of the uni. If you would like to live with your boyfriend thats what i would suggest, however you would then still be living with other people in the house as there arent many that do student houses for two people. But thats all i can suggest im afraid.
    Hey, I'm sorry to hear that. I suffer from severe general and social anxiety, plus depression. I know some universities have couple and family accomodation, it's just pretty expensive. Thanks for your suggestions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by matildale)
    Hiya!
    I'm not sure how many unis have this option but I know that Newcastle University has "Couples accommodation", so that could be a good path to go down and something worth looking into. You should check if your preferred universities have this type of accommodation too as it would mean you being able to live with your boyfriend. Hope it all goes well!
    Hi!
    Thanks so much! I'll look into that, I was interested in Newcastle University, but the one I really want to go to is SOAS, and they do have couples accomodation but it's expensive so I'm not sure if I can afford it. 😅

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by laurenai)
    I'm

I've suffered with anxiety since I was 12, and hqve already taken time off college etc to try and improve my mental health. However, I'm now 18 and I'll be going to university in 2019. I've already delayed it and done as much as I can, I don't think i can just 'deal with my anxiety' before university. We've been together for three years and are engaged, so I'm not worried about that at all, honestly. Thanks for the advice, but I don't really think it'll help much. 😅
    Take the advice or don't but I'm not talking nonsense. I also struggled with severe anxiety and it is possible to get a handle on it and be able to cope with uni. 3 years is a long time but you'e young and people grow and change. You shoud never be reliant on someone else for your sanity or happiness.
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Hi Rebecca,

Here at Knoll Court we have Deluxe rooms in which we would allow both you and your boyfriend to live together in a spacious room.

We currently only have one of the Deluxe rooms available so if you are interested and wish to book a viewing i would act fast !

We are located in the city centre with both Northumbria and Newcastle University in walking distance.

We have also recently had a refurbishment with brand new common space, study rooms and an onsite gym.

If you want to see more head over to our website and check it out for yourself;

http://thestudenthousingcompany.com/...e/knoll-court/

We would be delighted to show you around if you are interested.

If you have any more questions do not hesitate to drop us a message or give us a call!

Hope to hear from you!

Knoll court !
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Hi Rebecca,

Here at Knoll Court we have Deluxe rooms which we offer joint tenancies which would be suitable for you and your boyfriend.

Our deluxe rooms are very spacious for two people which would also be perfect for you!

We currently only have 1 left so if you are interested i would advise to act fast !

We are located in the city centre with both Northumbria and Newcastle University in walking distance.

We have also recently had a refurbishment with brand new common space, study rooms and an onsite gym.

If you want to see more head over to our website and check it out for yourself;

http://thestudenthousingcompany.com/...e/knoll-court/

We would be delighted to show you around if you are interested.

If you have any more questions do not hesitate to drop us a message or give us a call!

Hope to hear from you!

Knoll court !

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Find out more

Accommodation profiles:

Downing Students

Universal Student Living

“Over 25 years of perfecting the student accommodation experience. Downing Students. Accommodation Made for you”

Prodigy Living

Prodigy Living

Accommodation in 15 cities across the UK, with 24 sites providing modern, stylish en suite and studio rooms close to the major universities.

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation across the UK.

Articles:

Student accommodation articles What to take to uniDo I need a TV licence?

Quick link:

Unanswered student accommodation threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.