Turn on thread page Beta

Plagiarism Help - Does Turnitin retain previous submissions when you resubmit work? watch

ReputationRep:
    Ggroup assignment, one group member plagiarised. The assignment allowed resubmissions, does this completely delete the prior submissions or can lecturers see all attempts?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by xoelisee)
    Tl;dr: group assignment, one group member plagiarised. The assignment allowed resubmissions, does this completely delete the prior submissions or can lecturers see all attempts?

The group project drama is behind the spoiler. Ughhhhh.
    Spoiler:
    Show

So I had a group assignment. The work was around 75% of my work. The remaining 25% was from one of the other group members. I volunteered to submit it on behalf of the group (thank God as you'll later find out). When I submit my work I always check the Turnitin report just to be sure, but I have never had any issues as I always cite properly etc. However when I submitted the group project literally everything. single. thing that my group member had contributed was plagiarised. It was awful, just sentences taken directly from websites with no attempt at rewording them. I was shocked. I'm not friends with my group members and don't really know them so I had no basis on judging their academic ability or integrity but I assumed that being in third year they would understand how to not plagiarise?

Luckily the assignment allowed resubmissions so I quickly deleted everything that the group member had added and rewrote those parts in my own words with proper citations and then resubmitted before the deadlin. I'm just furious because if I hadn't been the one to submit it or I hadn't checked the Turnitin report this one group member could get us all into serious trouble. Also I'm angry that a piece of work that was meant to be a joint effort has instead been 95% of my work because I can't trust or rely on group members to know how to not just 'copy' and 'paste'.

It'll compare against the previous assignment yes but whether or not your lecturer can see a previous attempt will depend on how it's set up by the uni. Did you submit the assignment or just put it through tunitin?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alleycat393)
    It'll compare against the previous assignment yes but whether or not your lecturer can see a previous attempt will depend on how it's set up by the uni. Did you submit the assignment or just put it through tunitin?
    There ended up being three submissions in the end:

1. The bad one with my group members contributions
    2. One with all that removed and an acceptable Turnitin score and report
    3. Then the final submission which just had some additional formatting changes

From what I've read, when you resubmit it "overwrites" the previous attempt so the lecturer, and myself, can only see the most recent submission?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer

From what I've read, when you resubmit it "overwrites" the previous attempt so the lecturer, and myself, can only see the most recent submission?
    Turnitin will yes but usually the uni will have a separate submission button or system which will submit the assignment for grading to the lecturer along with the report.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Turnitin will yes but usually the uni will have a separate submission button or system which will submit the assignment for grading to the lecturer along with the report.
    It was Turnitin submission via Blackboard. I know multiple submissions on Turnitin are enabled to allow students to look at the report and make changes when necessary so I'm sure they expect drafts to be submitted and reviewed before a final version is submitted before the deadline?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    It was Turnitin submission via Blackboard. I know multiple submissions on Turnitin are enabled to allow students to look at the report and make changes when necessary so I'm sure they expect drafts to be submitted and reviewed before a final version is submitted before the deadline?
    Yes I get that but you will have some way to finalise your submission as you say so till you’ve pressed that you will be fine.

ReputationRep:
    Yes I get that but you will have some way to finalise your submission as you say so till you’ve pressed that you will be fine.
    I just read the Blackboard-Turnitin integration document and it says:

"Students may resubmit as often as the student wishes until the
    assignment due date. Originality Reports for the second or subsequent submission will require a 24 hour delay before the Originality Report begins processing. Only the latest submission is available to the instructor or student. Previous versions are removed. Student submissions will compare against one another within the assignment on the due date and time, which may result in a change in the Originality Report similarity index and results at the due date and time."

So does that mean the lecturer can't access the document and report of previous submissions, but can just see the score percentages?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    I just read the Blackboard-Turnitin integration document and it says:

"Students may resubmit as often as the student wishes until the
    assignment due date. Originality Reports for the second or subsequent submission will require a 24 hour delay before the Originality Report begins processing. Only the latest submission is available to the instructor or student. Previous versions are removed. Student submissions will compare against one another within the assignment on the due date and time, which may result in a change in the Originality Report similarity index and results at the due date and time."

So does that mean the lecturer can't access the document and report of previous submissions, but can just see the score percentages?
    They most likely will only look at the final submission. They don’t have the time to go through each student’s multiple submissions.

ReputationRep:

Yes this is true,do not worry

ReputationRep:
    I just wanted to give an update in case anyone finds this thread on Google or something in a moment of panic. We got our grades back today with no mention of any of the previous submissions and we got a first despite me being up until 2am having to rewrite my group member's section.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 25, 2018

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.