Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Recently I’ve been considering taking a radically different degree in one of these languages - I’d be learning it from scratch as my current A Levels include French, Eng Lit & Psych. In reading up about the two and with my current knowledge already (which is limited, i’m sure!!) I know I find the culture, history and literature of Japan more interesting. That being said as Chinese is so widely spoken would it make more sense to study it? Career wise? I know I’d probably never take the typical route of teaching English in either country (not my thing) so translation in some form is probably best to consider - but which do you reckon has more stability? Something inside is desperately telling me to go for Japanese, purely because I’m in love with its rich history and have always sort of had an interest there, but the real question is am I gonna be unemployed forever LOL please help!
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by sophie0602)
    Recently I’ve been considering taking a radically different degree in one of these languages - I’d be learning it from scratch as my current A Levels include French, Eng Lit & Psych. In reading up about the two and with my current knowledge already (which is limited, i’m sure!!) I know I find the culture, history and literature of Japan more interesting. That being said as Chinese is so widely spoken would it make more sense to study it? Career wise? I know I’d probably never take the typical route of teaching English in either country (not my thing) so translation in some form is probably best to consider - but which do you reckon has more stability? Something inside is desperately telling me to go for Japanese, purely because I’m in love with its rich history and have always sort of had an interest there, but the real question is am I gonna be unemployed forever LOL please help!
    The bit in bold is all that matters. It is a very bad idea to take Chinese just because it has more speakers. Unless you want to live and work in China, your employment prospects won't be significantly different than if you learned Japanese anyway - both languages are desirable for UK employers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snufkin)
    The bit in bold is all that matters. It is a very bad idea to take Chinese just because it has more speakers. Unless you want to live and work in China, your employment prospects won't be significantly different than if you learned Japanese anyway - both languages are desirable for UK employers.
    Thank you! I had a feeling someone might say that :')

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 28, 2018
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. London Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  2. Edge Hill University
    All Faculties Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.