Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Not enough time for anything. Muddling along through essays. Anyone else in the same boat?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by geordiemark74)
    Not enough time for anything. Muddling along through essays. Anyone else in the same boat?
    What level are you studying at?
    Why dont you have enough time?
    Muddling along isnt going to do you any favours.
    You probably just need to be better organised and understand what you are meant to be doing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by geordiemark74)
    Im a self-confessed procrastinator. Doing my Access to HE via distance learning really compounds the issue that I have! That said, I often feel like when it comes to study... think of it like the dentist. I hate going to the dentist, I worry about going before and feel nervous before I sit in the chair. When I sit down though... its not all that bad! You get through it and come out of the other side alive.

Get your head down and study. You can do it. Once you get yourself in to a routine really, its so easy. I'm a little behind on my study right now because I slacked off over Christmas, but im not going to let that get in the away of completing my Diploma and ensuring im eligible for entry to University in September. Once I start working, it all just clicks. You just have to force yourself in the first place to knuckle down!

However you are doing your learning, tonight, tell yourself you're going to sit down and work on it for 30 minutes. Tomorrow do an hour... etc etc. It'll all be done before you know it!

ReputationRep:
    I sympathise!

Actually when I was in my 20s procrastinating was part of my study technique Its actually very hard to go into study mode "cold". One of the problems of juggling work,parenting and study is that the things that have to "give" are your procrastinating time and your time to yourself. You are expected to use all your own down time to study, and regard time with your kids or cooking dinner as a break...

I'm struggling with it too, not least because I don't know anyone quite in the same position as myself (I'm living, working, raising a family and studying in another EU country and studying and working in another language which is an extra hurdle, as my language skills are good enough - but that's exactly what they are, good enough and no better).

Being told to be more organised comes from a good place (probably) but isn't that helpful!

For what its worth I feel I'm muddling along by the skin of my teeth but feedback from most of my tutors and most of my marks are a bit above average for the cohort, and my classmates think I am a source of course knowledge...

I used to be an academic high high-flier (4 As at A level before they invented stars, I'm that old and a first class honours degree done after A levels) but when you're juggling raising your own kids, a fairly demanding job, a marriage and study you have to learn to be kind to yourself and not expect so much. Sometimes good enough is good enough, and prioritising and remembering exactly which exams or written work is worth a lot of marks and which can be coasted on is OK.

Also nobody ever asks me what class of degree I got, unless you know you need a first or 2:1 for what you want to do afterwards you may be able to cut yourself a bit of slack. Most mature students have very high expectations of themselves and are disappointed with good but not outstanding, which just isn't always realistic.

University open days

1. Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate Open Days Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Jul '18
  2. University of Sunderland
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Jul '18
  3. Plymouth College of Art
    All MA Programmes Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Jul '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.