Turn on thread page Beta

Pursue a law career, or run the family business? watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi Guys,

So I wished to get some advice. Ever since the beginning of uni, I have been passionate about pursuing a career in law, though I always knew at one point I would like to run my family's business.

My father has suddenly decided to retire (I thought he would retire much later), and told me that provided I gain a few years experience and learn the ropes, I could become CEO of the business within 6 years or so (I am 22 now).

Our family business is highly successful, turnover exceeds £40 million. I think it would be extremely exciting to run such a company at a young age, and I have lots of ideas for it looking forward.

However, at the same time, I am extremely motivated in becoming a lawyer, as I wish to 'carve my own path', and be successful through my own means.

What would you do?

ReputationRep:
    run the business if I were you. Your father clearly trusts his business with you which means he is certain that you will make a success of it. Studying law is risky and requires funding since you have to take law related tests and salary in law associated jobs vary alot (depending on what firm you work for, how much experience you have and the degree level).
    Note: most law students will go on to do masters degree so you will be competing with those with higher than degree level applicants in jobs relating to law
    But if you do decide to run the business, will you regret not doing law is the issue so you might need to ponder about that for a while
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    CV Helper
    (Original post by Nozick11)
    Do a deal with your father and get him to extend slightly. A law degree will prove very useful in business, go and do the degree and then start working at the business. if he's prepared to wait 6 years, it's not a health issue, it's a life choice, so 7,8 or 9 years won't make much difference.

ReputationRep:
    I wish i came from a family that could teach me the ropes of running my own business. I wouldn't even have wasted time on school let alone uni.

Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.