Pursue a law career, or run the family business?

Watch
Nozick11
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hi Guys,

So I wished to get some advice. Ever since the beginning of uni, I have been passionate about pursuing a career in law, though I always knew at one point I would like to run my family's business.

My father has suddenly decided to retire (I thought he would retire much later), and told me that provided I gain a few years experience and learn the ropes, I could become CEO of the business within 6 years or so (I am 22 now).

Our family business is highly successful, turnover exceeds £40 million. I think it would be extremely exciting to run such a company at a young age, and I have lots of ideas for it looking forward.

However, at the same time, I am extremely motivated in becoming a lawyer, as I wish to 'carve my own path', and be successful through my own means.

What would you do?
ddsizebra
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
run the business if I were you. Your father clearly trusts his business with you which means he is certain that you will make a success of it. Studying law is risky and requires funding since you have to take law related tests and salary in law associated jobs vary alot (depending on what firm you work for, how much experience you have and the degree level).
Note: most law students will go on to do masters degree so you will be competing with those with higher than degree level applicants in jobs relating to law
But if you do decide to run the business, will you regret not doing law is the issue so you might need to ponder about that for a while
threeportdrift
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Nozick11)
Do a deal with your father and get him to extend slightly. A law degree will prove very useful in business, go and do the degree and then start working at the business. if he's prepared to wait 6 years, it's not a health issue, it's a life choice, so 7,8 or 9 years won't make much difference.
Turquaz
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I wish i came from a family that could teach me the ropes of running my own business. I wouldn't even have wasted time on school let alone uni.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (42)
27.1%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (14)
9.03%
No I am happy with my choice (88)
56.77%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (11)
7.1%

Watched Threads