x Turn on thread page Beta

What do the TSR team actually do at the HQ in Brighton? watch

Announcements
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by 04MR17)
    To be honest two threads for it isn't necessary.
    Help and Announcements didn't get included on the sticky clean up me thinks!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    each morning the team are given an overview of last night's trolling:

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-cmzfg-X27...%2Bmeeting.jpg

(Original post by Doonesbury)
    Reddit has 230 staff and an HQ in San Francisco. Aka "the Brighton of America"

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Reddit doesn't openly monetize its users though. It's a fricken huge site, its HQ is probably a server farm anyway.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by Tootles)
    Reddit doesn't openly monetize its users though. It's a fricken huge site, its HQ is probably a server farm anyway.
    230 employees though...

It's owned by Conde Naste and therefore has the benefit of a rather different business model
    https://www.investopedia.com/article...akes-money.asp
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

230 employees though...

It's owned by Conde Naste and therefore has the benefit of a rather different business model
    https://www.investopedia.com/article...akes-money.asp
    1.66bn users though. That's, what, 500x the size of TSR, and yet TSR is the one commercializing itself and behaving like a little dictatorship.

At that size, Reddit probably does have its own server farm.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    1.66bn users though. That's, what, 500x the size of TSR, and yet TSR is the one commercializing itself and behaving like a little dictatorship.

At that size, Reddit probably does have its own server farm.
    200 million uniques per month vs about 7 million for TSR means it's about x30 bigger. But yes Reddit is a very different beast. With a multimillion dollar backing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Danny Dorito)
    Seriously though, we have an office of about 60 people who help keep TSR ticking over. We have an incredible tech and development team who work their magic to update the site, make sure the site doesn't crash and created the app. We have a sales department as well as the client service team who work with our university partners. We have the lovely CrazyKittenLady who is our incredible design guru who wacks together all the beautiful creative you see. Like most offices we have an HR team and an office manager, who organise lots of fun TSR days out. We have an out of hours moderation team who work around the clock to try to make sure community guideline are met. Lastly we having the marketing team, which fall into 3 categories, B2B (bussiness to bussiness) who work closely with unis, Digital, who check things like SEO (search engineer optimisation) email etc, and lastly the Community Team, who create content (articles, social, threads) help manage the online community, work with people like Parliament to share your opinions, and (whether you believe it or not) fight your corner, sharing student's opinions across various news outlets (shout out discobish ) , to university boards and pastoral care charities like student minds.
    wow that is alot of people. What exactly is TSR's source of money ? so many employees just from google ads ?

ReputationRep:
    200 million uniques per month vs about 7 million for TSR means it's about x30 bigger. But yes Reddit is a very different beast. With a multimillion dollar backing.
    pfft not even 10% of tht 7mil are active.

ReputationRep:
    the reception area is designed to put visitors at their ease. here Colleen is showing a visitor the fish.

the large cabinet to the visitor's right is where they keep the forehead data.

http://www.bfi.org.uk/sites/bfi.org....?itok=y2HLJ4Aj
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by hannah00)
    wow that is alot of people. What exactly is TSR's source of money ? so many employees just from google ads ?
    Universities and others who want to specifically engage with the TSR user community pay to do so.

Eg
    http://tsrmatters.com/engaging-with-...mbers/display/

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Can’t believe being a TSR mod is an actual job. Will you guys pay me to work as a coffee machine operator?
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    To be honest two threads for it isn't necessary.
    Which two threads?
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    Which two threads?
    https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=3340701

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=3411523

Pretty much the same thread, one in TSR Help, one in Help&A...

Both used to be about ST, then one was changed but not the other.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    No, they sit there removing features that define the site because they aren't kool enough for the kool kids.

TSR is totally up itself, and I agree that it's OTT for them to have business premises when much bigger (and friendlier and more useful) sites like Reddit just sit there existing.
    All I ever see you do is moan about how tsr isn't in it's 'golden age' , wwhatever that is supposed to mean. We get it you have been here a long time, that doesn't make you superior to newer members. Everyone has a favourite period for tsr but people don't constantly bang on about it. If you love Reddit so much then either go there or voice your opinions in a constructive and polite way rather than with a massive chip on your shoulder
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=3340701

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=3411523

Pretty much the same thread, one in TSR Help, one in Help&A...

Both used to be about ST, then one was changed but not the other.
    Hmm, Puddles the Monkey can one be removed?

ReputationRep:
    Universities and others who want to specifically engage with the TSR user community pay to do so.

Eg
    http://tsrmatters.com/engaging-with-...mbers/display/

Posted from TSR Mobile
    does it cost money to start the official rep accounts various universities have ?
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    does it cost money to start the official rep accounts various universities have ?
    Yes.

ReputationRep:
    Yes.
    How much ? I asked a university during Open Day, why they didnt have one and they said it costs too much

I might have misread the numbers :iiam: this "unique visits" stuff seems to just be a statistic people throw around. Why don't forums measure their usage in currently active accounts or posts per month or threads created per month or something? Something that gives a clue as to actual usage.

Either way, I know Reddit is a different site - but so is TSR compared to what it could have been if it hadn't turned into what it has.

(Original post by CoolCavy)
    All I ever see you do is moan about how tsr isn't in it's 'golden age' , wwhatever that is supposed to mean. We get it you have been here a long time, that doesn't make you superior to newer members. Everyone has a favourite period for tsr but people don't constantly bang on about it. If you love Reddit so much then either go there or voice your opinions in a constructive and polite way rather than with a massive chip on your shoulder
    I'm simply lamenting how shoddily the members treat each other and how the site is run compared to back then. When the adins/supermods/mods/minimods weren't so happy with their banhammers and when TSR wasn't a complete bastion of political correctness and Newspeak.

Also if all you see is me having a massive chip on my shoulder, you probably aren't seeing everything I post. Re feedback to the site in a more positive way - I have given feedback to the site at pretty much every point of change since I joined - sometimes recommending changes to make, sometimes saying things maybe don't need to change. I'm a TSR beta too. That doesn't mean anything though; my messages and emails have been (along with many others) ignored, which is a big part of why I've become so disenfranchised with the place.

Think how many visits they get and how many ads are on the site. That's a lot of ad revenue. Why do you think they never liked people deleting their accounts (apart from the "number of users" they can boast)? Also they're in partnership with other companies AFAIK.

ReputationRep:
    Im gonna use TSR 24/7 and turn on AD block so they earn less :lol: im so evil

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.