Turn on thread page Beta

Differences between Bipolar, Split personality and Schizrophrenia watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    What are the differences between these 3 mental illnesses? I took Psychology for a day and asked my teacher about the difference but I forgot it but Schizophrenia and Split personality looks quite similar.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fasih123)
    What are the differences between these 3 mental illnesses? I took Psychology for a day and asked my teacher about the difference but I forgot it but Schizophrenia and Split personality looks quite similar.
    In bipolar you have manic episodes (ups) and depressive episodes. When you are manic you may have delusions, but you don’t have hallucinations.

In schizophrenia you have hallucinations and delusions. They may last longer than a manic episode would, and they don’t typically have the same history of ‘ups and downs’.

There is debate about whether split personality disorder is a real diagnosis, or whether the people that demonstrate the symptoms are actually part of something else. People with this essentially seem to dissociate from their ‘self’ and exhibit the personality of a completely different person. Whether this is a delusion or actual dissociation is difficult to tell. There’s a good documentary on YouTube following a woman with it that I recommend.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Schizophrenia, if my memory serves, is more of a ‘blanket term’ and is used to refer to a very wide range of symptoms. Split Personality Disorder on the other hand is much more specific in terms of its symptoms. However it is generally referred to by media such as films as Schizophrenia, hence the general confusion about the two.

Bipolar is also more specific, and affects mood, not personality.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ax12)
    In bipolar you have manic episodes (ups) and depressive episodes. When you are manic you may have delusions, but you don’t have hallucinations.

In schizophrenia you have hallucinations and delusions. They may last longer than a manic episode would, and they don’t typically have the same history of ‘ups and downs’.

There is debate about whether split personality disorder is a real diagnosis, or whether the people that demonstrate the symptoms are actually part of something else. People with this essentially seem to dissociate from their ‘self’ and exhibit the personality of a completely different person. Whether this is a delusion or actual dissociation is difficult to tell. There’s a good documentary on YouTube following a woman with it that I recommend.

I have to disagree with your explaination of Bipolar,
    Yes the ups and downs are correct but people who has Bipolar CAN have hallucinations as well as delusions in fact it's quite common, and of course hallucinations can also be a seperate symptom on their own like psychotic episodes can be a symptom, although they're more likely to be part of specific disorders,

hallucinations can play into both manic and depressive episodes or be a seperate symptom of the individual but it's quite common for either a manic or depressive episode to have hallucinations with it. I actually have diagnosed Bipoar and often have hallucinations when I get manic and also when I get depressed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheHairDyeDiarys)
    I have to disagree with your explaination of Bipolar,
    Yes the ups and downs are correct but people who has Bipolar CAN have hallucinations as well as delusions in fact it's quite common, and of course hallucinations can also be a seperate symptom on their own like psychotic episodes can be a symptom, although they're more likely to be part of specific disorders,

hallucinations can play into both manic and depressive episodes or be a seperate symptom of the individual but it's quite common for either a manic or depressive episode to have hallucinations with it. I actually have diagnosed Bipoar and often have hallucinations when I get manic and also when I get depressed.
    Fair enough. 'Don't tend to' should have been my explanation rather than 'don't'.

ReputationRep:
    Split personality is actually called Dissociative Identity Disorder (DID). It's where two or more separate personality states co-exist within the same person - it's more about the identity fragmenting than having multiple identities, hence why the name has changed from Multiple Personality Disorder to DID. The person suffering from DID will experience memory loss, gaps in personal history, changes in personality, cognition, sense of self, perception, and difference in functioning. It's relatively rare compared with other disorders and known to be one of the more serious ones.

Bipolar is a mood disorder characterised by the individual going through periods of depression and periods of elevated mood, with some also having mixed phases. The periods of elevated mood aren't specifically feelings of happiness, as commonly thought, but can also be periods of grandiose thoughts and feelings, overspending, manic behaviour and irritation, sometimes even leading to psychotic symptoms as well. Bipolar can be managed fairly well with medication.

Schizophrenia is a mental disorder in which the individual experiences a distinct separation from reality. Symptoms are normally split into two groups - positive and negative. Positive symptoms are the hallucinations and delusions i.e symptoms that are added to the psyche and did not occur before the illness. Whereas the negative symptoms are a lack of affect, apathy, withdrawing from social events, lack of speech and lethargy i.e symptoms that have been reduced since the illness.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 28, 2018
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.