Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

I don’t know whether I should go uni or do a degree apprenticeship watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi, can someone please help me decide whether I should I go uni or do a degree apprenticeship I really don’t know what to do
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Honestly in the same position as you.
    I have both offers for a Degree and a Degree apprenticeship.

The way you have to think about it is - No debt. Get paid. Get Experience. Get a Degree. vs. £40,000 Debt + Get a Degree.
    My main factor was the social factor, and moving away into a flat/house share etc.

Taking that out of the equation I think it's clear to see the most beneficial path, you'll get a degree, totally paid (in my case).
    A salary to live off, not 'barely survive' on noodles, like I planned at Uni.
    AND you get the ever so vital EXPERIENCE that will make you stand out from other candidates on your CV.

I've certainly made my mind up.
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    (Original post by tee3434)
    Hi, can someone please help me decide whether I should I go uni or do a degree apprenticeship I really don’t know what to do
    Places are still quite limited, have you done any research about what kind of apprenticeship/ course you would be interested in? The more info you share, the easier it will be to advise you
    • Community Assistant
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by tee3434)
    It ultimately depends on what you want to do in the future. If you want to go into Medicine or Dentistry, then the university would be the recommended route, but if you want to do something vocational at university, then Apprenticeships would be the better option.

But you are a bit late in applying for degree apprenticeships - the months for applying are from September to February, there are not many degree apprenticeship vacancies that are open this late.

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources

Apprenticeship zone:

GIGF logo

Apprenticeship Zone

All you need to know about higher and degree apprenticeships.

GIGF logo

Meet the apprentices

Read these case studies from real apprentices to hear the truth about what it's like!

GIGF logo

Apprenticeship Vacancies

Find the latest higher and degree apprenticeship opportunities.

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

ICAEW logo

ICAEW

"Choose a career journey with limitless possibilities."

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick links:

Unanswered apprenticeships and alternatives to university threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.