Turn on thread page Beta

Why do british people tend to overreact about weather? watch

ReputationRep:
    Exhibit A: Everyone panicking about the snow
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    If we didn't overreact about the weather we wouldn't be British. It's kind of our thing.

It's about being British. We love to say 'Typical British Weather.' Our go to, to fill in the silence in conversations, is the weather

ReputationRep:
    Im British and agree. The weather is **** here, it's rain or snow, crack on with it.

ReputationRep:
    I haven't had snow stick in Liverpool for like, 3 YEARS! Or even bloody four.
    Our weather is so damn bleek, boring and moderate, any change brings forth a wave of excitement with unforeseeable magnitutde 😂.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I wouldn't say we overreact tbh.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Because we don't really get any kind of extreme weather so when we do get some kind of storm or heavy snowfall we act like it's an apocalypse and make a bit fuss out of it. Schools closed, supermarkets ransacked, motorways closed etc 😂

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by starfab)
    It's about being British. We love to say 'Typical British Weather.' Our go to, to fill in the silence in conversations, is the weather
    True. If we didn't complain about the weather we would all stop talking to each other.

(Original post by Neesaaaa)
    True. If we didn't complain about the weather we would all stop talking to each other.
    :toofunny:

ReputationRep:
    I feel blessed when it rains here

Spoiler:
    Show

Yes British people still complain about British weather even though they're not there.

ReputationRep:
    We don’t over react but it would take an idiot not to notice the rapid changes in weather here on a daily basis. Yesterday it snowed heavily a minute later it was sunny af.

ReputationRep:
    I don’t think we overreact. It’s either people who’re just looking to get a day off from work/school (which is everyone), or the media hyping it up for content.

ReputationRep:
    We rarely get weather that is different from the usual dry or wet weather, so as soon as there is a change we tend to get really excited. Especially since snow is rare and when we do get it in the area i'm from then it usually doesn't set for long. Anything different from the usual weather is something we over react about

ReputationRep:
    Britain is a nation of whiners, we need something to whine about

ReputationRep:
    I've noticed this. Everytime it snows in the UK (and let's be honest, it's not that rare) people start panic buying milk and bread. But to be fair, I live in a southern US state and when it snows here, people go absolutely crazy. My university was closed last year for 3 days because it snowed 100miles away. :confused: It's rare, but not that rare.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    What ever would we have to talk about if it wasn't making exclamations about the weather though?

ReputationRep:
    Because our weather is so shot and gloomy most of the of he time and it hasn’t snowed where I am for about 5 years.

Plus we wouldn’t be British if we’re didn’t overreact about the weather 😂

ReputationRep:
    I don't know, why do people make wide generalizations about a diverse group of people?
    • Section Leader
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Peer Support Volunteers
    It's a cultural thing.

ReputationRep:
    Some of my colleagues are German and Austrian. It's embarrassing having to listen to them laughing at how ****ing useless most Brits are when it's a tad nippy and we get a bit of snow.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.