Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I have received MSc offers from both Loughborough and Bristol and need help choosing. I have strong A-level results and should easily achieve First at Undergraduate Level.I hope to become a front House Investment banker. Naturally, I understand the incredibly competitive nature of FO IB and need to choose the most beneficial University for this career option or to be told this career path is unrealistic. Bristol's main selling point is the fact it is held in higher regard for recruiting investment banks, although Loughborough's course is superior in almost every way and gives me a lot more options when leaving University but makes FO IB more difficult.

The choice is mainly between aiming completely towards FO IB, or accepting other similarly exemplary career options within Finance if FO IB is unattainable. I have put together below a comprehensive list of ADV/DIS with a staring system ranking importance.

I have received offers of
    MSc Finance and Investment - Loughborough
    MSc Economics, Accounting, and Finance - University of Bristol

Bristol ADV
    Russel group University ***
    Top tier IB recruitment******
    Internationally renowned (QS Ranking higher)*
    Better student City *
    Better Research Quality **
    Better alumni base for networking******

Bristol DIS
    Business school holds no Accreditations ***
    No CIMA exemptions gained from completing course ***
    More expensive £12,100***
    No trading room **
    Very research-based***
    Very little effort into attracting students *
    Lower employability ***
    Lower Ranked ***
    More expensive living costs **
    Further from home *
    Less personal development ***
    Lower student satisfaction ***
    Lower Student: staff ratio**
    Lower spending on facilities and Academics **
    ACFI worse Graduate prospects *****
    Silver TEF***

Loughborough ADV
    Employability (Best in UK) ***
    Triple Accredited (top 1% business school) ***
    6 CIFA exemptions from completing course – broader options when leaving***
    Higher Ranked overall and Business School***
    Cheaper to live**
    Cheaper accommodation**
    20% scholarship - £10,280***
    Closer to home *
    Consists of a lot more learning and less research***
    Trading room**
    Business school is excellent ***
    Better personal Development ***
    Far more effort put into attracting students *
    Better student satisfaction***
    Better Student: staff ratio**
    More spending on Services and Facilities **
    ACFI better graduate prospects *****
    Gold TEF***

Loughborough DIS
    Lower Research quality **
    Less Appealing City *
    Lower ranked in QS *
    Not Russel Group ***
    Alumni base growing (not as good as Bristol)******
    Not top tier recruitment for IB******

Please feel free to give me your opinions as I am very indecisive at this point but have over a month to decide. If you feel FO IB is unrealistic please indicate as such.

Please consider the Subject matter of Postgrad/Undergrad degree's is not seen as important as long as holding substantive quantitive element, establishment prestige of the awarding body is of most importance.

ReputationRep:
    Doing a master's means you'll be competing against strong students from intercontinental Europe with lots of experience, or even UK students going to top business schools in general who'll also have internships etc etc. Your CV, technical knowledge etc etc will count for a lot more at this stage. Though this is probably more applicable for off season internships

Bristol is the one that's more targeted so I think that's the best option, though I do not know how far your exceptions and accreditation can take you. In general banks offer their own training anyway so it cant help much

ReputationRep:
    Bristol definitely but it won't be easy to break in at this stage.

ReputationRep:
    at msc level you really need to go to one of these top tier LSE/Imperials, arguably.

which school was your undergrad
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Being brutally honest, at the masters level you really need to be at the highest tier of university to get any sort of advantage in recruiting.. Outside of Oxbridge, LBS, Imperial Business, LSE, Warwick and the top european schools there's not much weight put on a masters programme in terms of recruiting.

Bristol is still the better brand however.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Would you guys recommend exploring other career paths inside finance? , or is it more realistic to aim for middle and back office IB ?. IB is just one of the career options I have been exploring and if it is unattainable I have a few other options I have explored inside finance which are worthwhile. I would be willing to use my master's degree to get into a graduate scheme for IB, as I understand my Undergrad degree was from a University well under the radar for IB.

The main reason for not being able to go to LSE, UCL etc. is the incredible costs of a single years Masters degree, whilst my parents can afford the lowers fees at Russel group Universities, but all the top level Uni's demand £20k+ in tuition alone.

Thanks for all the guidance
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Rajchandok)
    Would you guys recommend exploring other career paths inside finance? , or is it more realistic to aim for middle and back office IB ?. IB is just one of the career options I have been exploring and if it is unattainable I have a few other options I have explored inside finance which are worthwhile. I would be willing to use my master's degree to get into a graduate scheme for IB, as I understand my Undergrad degree was from a University well under the radar for IB.

The main reason for not being able to go to LSE, UCL etc. is the incredible costs of a single years Masters degree, whilst my parents can afford the lowers fees at Russel group Universities, but all the top level Uni's demand £20k+ in tuition alone.

Thanks for all the guidance
    Always have backups especially if you're gunning for a career as competitive as banking.. Stuff like the big4, general finance grad schemes, middle office etc are things you should look at too.

Realistically, you'll be applying to summer internships if IB is your goal not grad programs considering you probably lack a good banking internship on your CV.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gr8wizard10)
    at msc level you really need to go to one of these top tier LSE/Imperials, arguably.

which school was your undergrad
    Is Imperial BS really good? only heard about STEM students getting into finance making fun of it.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by xtrembob)
    Is Imperial BS really good? only heard about STEM students getting into finance making fun of it.
    Places very well.. forgot to mention Cass as well, they also kill it at the masters level.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xtrembob)
    idk, but it places into finance which is what matters, not what some chemistry student says about it

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.