Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Dilemma: Living with a dysfunctional family watch

I am a 20 year old who recently graduated for the University of Paris and currently hoping to began law school this fall in the United Kingdom. I’ll get to the point. For the past 6 months I’ve moved in with a very angry family. 3 children; the oldest of whom is 19yo, the second is 15, and the third is only 9. The mother is frequently ill and therefore neglects the 9 year old. The father is both physically and emotionally dismissive - He is also very mean, immature and short tempered. The same applies to the two elder sons.

On the one hand I wish to leave as soon as possible. However, I fear for the 9yo who does not have his needs met in this environment. I have come to understand that the abuse he suffered began around 3-4 years ago. I am trying to take him under my wing and pay attention to his emotional needs as best I can but I am making slow progress.

I don’t know what to do or how to help this child as au did not have parents myself. I have had to learn how to be emotionally mature, kind, and compassionate on my own. How can I ensure that this young boy grows up to be a emotionally healthy adult?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

Is their anyway you can stay in contact with him after you have left via phone or email, that might make the world of difference
Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 28, 2018
Have you ever experienced racism/sexism at uni?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.