Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys, I'm not sure if this is the right place to post, but I figured somebody might have some useful advice or have been in a similar situation in the past. I'll try to keep it short and sweet because I know nobody wants to read a giant wall of text.

I'm studying Electrical Engineering at a top ten university (arguably top ten in the world) and I absolutely hate every single moment of it. Nobody in my family went to uni before me and I didn't really know what to expect (I come from a fairly working-class background), plus I have a lot of domestic issues that affected my ability to choose a course rationally. I wanted something that would get me a job, but to be perfectly honest I really can't see myself doing engineering as a career and my utter hatred of the course is seriously affecting my performance and my health. I had thought there would be a lot more science in engineering than there actually is.

I'm in the first year, so in that sense it isn't so bad, and I have very good grades at A-level, so I feel like that gives me some wiggle-room. I'm thinking about trying to transfer to physics after my first year is up, and I would simply drop out and try to go through the regular UCAS application process but I cannot return home if I leave university.

Has anyone been in similar circumstances, and does anybody have any advice? I'm not expecting much but I figured this was worth a shot. Thanks, guys and gals.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by PelagiusAsturias)
    Hi guys, I'm not sure if this is the right place to post, but I figured somebody might have some useful advice or have been in a similar situation in the past. I'll try to keep it short and sweet because I know nobody wants to read a giant wall of text.

I'm studying Electrical Engineering at a top ten university (arguably top ten in the world) and I absolutely hate every single moment of it. Nobody in my family went to uni before me and I didn't really know what to expect (I come from a fairly working-class background), plus I have a lot of domestic issues that affected my ability to choose a course rationally. I wanted something that would get me a job, but to be perfectly honest I really can't see myself doing engineering as a career and my utter hatred of the course is seriously affecting my performance and my health. I had thought there would be a lot more science in engineering than there actually is.

I'm in the first year, so in that sense it isn't so bad, and I have very good grades at A-level, so I feel like that gives me some wiggle-room. I'm thinking about trying to transfer to physics after my first year is up, and I would simply drop out and try to go through the regular UCAS application process but I cannot return home if I leave university.

Has anyone been in similar circumstances, and does anybody have any advice? I'm not expecting much but I figured this was worth a shot. Thanks, guys and gals.
    Would you be interested in swapping courses at your current university? If so speak to your tutor and explain that and ask how you transfer course.

If you want to apply elsewhere then you will need to use ucas (ideally with a reference from your current tutor). But before you apply you need to contact the universities you’re interested in to check if they will accept a late application from someone in your situation. There’s a thread at the top of Applications and UCAS forum called Transfer FAQ - the first post explains how to go about the whole process.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    Would you be interested in swapping courses at your current university? If so speak to your tutor and explain that and ask how you transfer course.

If you want to apply elsewhere then you will need to use ucas (ideally with a reference from your current tutor). But before you apply you need to contact the universities you’re interested in to check if they will accept a late application from someone in your situation. There’s a thread at the top of Applications and UCAS forum called Transfer FAQ - the first post explains how to go about the whole process.
    I like my university, just not my course, which is too applied for me, and I tried to transfer very quickly to a theoretical physics program, for which I meet the requirements, but there was no space available. I am going to try to transfer after the end of my first year, but I'm not so hopeful. If I were to reapply I would almost certainly end up at a less prestigious university, and although I really dislike engineering if I graduate from the college I'm at now it will be relatively easy to get a career in finance (in fact, about half of my year doesn't intend to do engineering as a career), which I feel is where I might end up anyway after a physics degree, although I'm actually not so keen on such a career either. Otoh, I would find it very disappointing never to get an education in a field that I actually give a damn about.

I know that when I lay it out in writing, it seems crazy that I ever thought I could or should make myself do engineering, but it's because of the particular background that I had.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    I like my university, just not my course, which is too applied for me, and I tried to transfer very quickly to a theoretical physics program, for which I meet the requirements, but there was no space available. I am going to try to transfer after the end of my first year, but I'm not so hopeful. If I were to reapply I would almost certainly end up at a less prestigious university, and although I really dislike engineering if I graduate from the college I'm at now it will be relatively easy to get a career in finance (in fact, about half of my year doesn't intend to do engineering as a career), which I feel is where I might end up anyway after a physics degree, although I'm actually not so keen on such a career either. Otoh, I would find it very disappointing never to get an education in a field that I actually give a damn about.

I know that when I lay it out in writing, it seems crazy that I ever thought I could or should make myself do engineering, but it's because of the particular background that I had.
    If you want to transfer internally don’t wait until the end of the year. Get the conversation started now or you’ll end up in the same situation.

And don’t assume that nowhere else will be open. It only takes an hour to ring around 5-10 universities to find out if they’re sympathetic. Because you want to change course and have good academics and tried persevering with engineering before deciding it wasn’t for you then they’re likely to be more helpful than you think. And if not - if you need to take a gap year then the year in industry scheme would love you.

Sitting on a treadmill of a course you dislike heading for a career you’re indifferent about isn’t ideal. Your life isn’t a race to the finish grabbing as much cash as possible. You’re supposed enjoy the journey!
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team

If you're not particularly enthralled with engineering then it would be a good idea to change courses. If you want something more "science" based then physics would probably the best option to look at first.

As PQ says, it's not a race, so going back into first year or taking a gap year is fine if it allows you to get a place on a course you'd enjoy more or is more inline with what you want to do in the future.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smack)
    If you're not particularly enthralled with engineering then it would be a good idea to change courses. If you want something more "science" based then physics would probably the best option to look at first.

As PQ says, it's not a race, so going back into first year or taking a gap year is fine if it allows you to get a place on a course you'd enjoy more or is more inline with what you want to do in the future.
    I feel that way too, it's simply that my life has been kind of complicated and I feel so delayed already - I finished my A-levels at sixteen but I couldn't come to uni for three years because my domestic situation was too bad for me to make an application until then (I could easily have been taken into care). So I already feel so delayed by my circumstances and I don't really want to start a degree five years after finishing my A-levels having done nothing in that time, plus I can't exactly go home. The only reason I am still at uni is that it gets me my own room away from home.

I went to the jobcentre to see how I might go about getting a job in another location where I could afford rent, even for a single room or studio, but they were not really interested and basically told me to stay at home and sign on, which was not particularly helpful.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    I feel that way too, it's simply that my life has been kind of complicated and I feel so delayed already - I finished my A-levels at sixteen but I couldn't come to uni for three years because my domestic situation was too bad for me to make an application until then (I could easily have been taken into care). So I already feel so delayed by my circumstances and I don't really want to start a degree five years after finishing my A-levels having done nothing in that time, plus I can't exactly go home. The only reason I am still at uni is that it gets me my own room away from home.

I went to the jobcentre to see how I might go about getting a job in another location where I could afford rent, even for a single room or studio, but they were not really interested and basically told me to stay at home and sign on, which was not particularly helpful.
    I can't comment on your domestic situation but there's nothing wrong with starting a course five years after finishing your A-levels. If you finished them at 16 then you'd be starting a new course at 21 - loads of people start uni then, it's not late.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smack)
    I can't comment on your domestic situation but there's nothing wrong with starting a course five years after finishing your A-levels. If you finished them at 16 then you'd be starting a new course at 21 - loads of people start uni then, it's not late.
    I understand what you're saying and that it's factually correct, it's just shaking the idea that if I had had a remotely normal home I would be at least a year into my PhD by then. As it is I am actually probably going to fail the first year of the degree I'm on because I dislike it so much - it wasn't entirely my own choice to do it and thinking about my own future is pretty depressing to me at the moment, so much so that it usually results in drinking and I try to avoid it as much as possible.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    I understand what you're saying and that it's factually correct, it's just shaking the idea that if I had had a remotely normal home I would be at least a year into my PhD by then. As it is I am actually probably going to fail the first year of the degree I'm on because I dislike it so much - it wasn't entirely my own choice to do it and thinking about my own future is pretty depressing to me at the moment, so much so that it usually results in drinking and I try to avoid it as much as possible.
    Have you considered seeing a counsellor or a therapist?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smack)
    Have you considered seeing a counsellor or a therapist?

I tried to get it on the NHS but apparently I appeared too well for them to justify spending money on me.

ReputationRep:
    Yes definitely gone through it . I dropped out and changed course completely and it’s the best decision. From computer science to IT and Business
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    I tried to get it on the NHS but apparently I appeared too well for them to justify spending money on me.
    Many universities offer counselling services to their students free of charge. Worth a look.

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.