Turn on thread page Beta

Getting a PhD after graduation? (science major) watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    How do you get a PhD after finishing your degree? Is it privately funded? I’m an international student, quite new to the UK education system smh. Currently doing my undergrad degree in bioscienses.

Any advices?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by eloquent45)
    How do you get a PhD after finishing your degree? Is it privately funded? I’m an international student, quite new to the UK education system smh. Currently doing my undergrad degree in bioscienses.

Any advices?
    Speak to your tutor at university. They’ll be able to explain it and answer your questions about your interests specifically.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    Speak to your tutor at university. They’ll be able to explain it and answer your questions about your interests specifically.
    Hey, PQ thanks for the response. Yes, I know I definitely should. But I just wanna know the general idea of it from anybody here who have some experiences more than I do.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep

Any advices?
    Hi there!

I found a really useful resource on PhD funding in the UK, on this website (findaphd.com) - I highly recommend you take a close look at all of the funding solutions listed on there. Generally speaking, PhD's are funded through government loans, university scholarships, research council funding or charity funding.

There are different caveats to different funding solutions, which are often dependent on your nationality and where you live.

Let me know if you have any further questions!

Fred - UEA PG Rep

ReputationRep:
    But I just wanna know the general idea of it from anybody here who have some experiences more than I do.
    Google it then. Read Wikipedia. There’s plenty of places you could look to find out what ‘the general idea’ of a PhD is in the UK.

ReputationRep:
    Brush up your research skills. You're going to need them.

Poll
Could you cope without Wifi?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.