Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    This year I'm going to aim for 100 rejections.

A bit about me: I graduated in 2015 with a First Class degree in Modern Languages. I'm currently working as a freelance writer and occasional photographer. I'm in my mid-20s and starting to have that irrational yet terrifying sensation that time is running out.

The idea: I was initially inspired by this: https://lithub.com/why-you-should-ai...ctions-a-year/

And then I watched most of the videos this guy sharedo n Youtube: https://www.ted.com/talks/jia_jiang_...s_of_rejection

Why 100 rejections: I aspire to work as a writer in a very competitive field, so getting rejections is inevitable.

I'm pretty ambitious but I'm wayyy too sensitive. I get tearful or worse numb every time a rejection email appears in my inbox--especially if it comes after an interview--I swear, sometimes I'd rather not hear back at all and bury the whole two-hour long applications in the deeper recesses of my brain (I swear--people should be paid for attending interviews/doing written tests).

What will I be applying for: I will be applying for all kinds of things, both directly and indirectly related to the industry (though mainly related). I'll be looking at internships, work experience placements, residencies, workshops, actual jobs and selective short courses. I will be reaching out to people in the industry and asking for advice/work experience unsolicited. I'm sure I'll be ignored/rejected a lot.

Why I'm doing this blog: I want to hold myself accountable by making this public. At the same time, I want to get some kind of emotional support as I pursue a challenge which will either make or break me.

Hopefully if I make it a mission to get so many rejections, I might get a few acceptance letters along the way too

Stay tuned for a year of rejections. Maybe I will surpass 100.

ReputationRep:
    In January my opportunity-hunt was pretty dead as I was attending a writer's residency which I was not rejected to--a very unusual but welcome acceptance in 2017.

Here's a look at how I'm going so far with my morale-destroying quest to stop caring about rejections.

February applications/submissions: 14 (most I won't hear back from until May/June).

Acceptances: 1 (work experience placement at a good publishing house--unfortunately had to turn it down as it clashed with something really important I couldn't defer but they said I should apply again)

Number of rejections: 4

Rejection breakdown:
    -1 rejection after a very promising Skype interview and written test, the feedback from which got my hopes up.
    -1 publication said they were interested and then the SEO expert said it wouldn't work.
    -1 broadcasting company said I was very close but they were unable to offer me a placement, and encouraged me to apply again next time.
    -1 very personal and I thought unprofessional email rejection from the editor (he started the website as an enthusiast's site in the 90s, and it somehow became the biggest of its niche), two hours after I sent my CV, cover letter and samples. Ironic as of all the things I applied for I felt this was the one for which I had the most direct experience, and at the same time I was the least interested in assuming this role:

Dear ___

Thanks for your kind and thoughtful letter and writing samples. However, we’ve received quite a few qualified applications for the job, and I believe we need someone who has much more direct experience than you do at this point in your career.
    Best of luck to you,
    ___

Thoughts:
    When applying for opportunities I feel very compulsive too in the way I refresh my inbox, as if that will magically make a "Congratulations. We'd like to offer you a ___" email appear. It takes me back to the days of UCAS. And when the rejections arrive it makes me feel down all day. It really knocks your confidence to be told you weren't good enough, no matter how many emails with feedback like this that you receive: "This does not mean that you were lacking in any particular area - we interviewed a large number of candidates as you all displayed strong and interesting skillsets. I do expect that you will go on to be very successful in your current job search, and your future career aspirations." They say one thing, I read: "You were not good enough."

Tips for dealing with these feelings? I'm obviously in this for the pleasure of being able to do something I love, but it would be nice to receive validation every so often

ReputationRep:
    *applied to two more positions (short-term internship and a job) last night, so make the figure for February 16.

ReputationRep:
    Early February, I've already applied for between 5-10 opportunities. Right now there's no news in my inbox--either I'll receive one of those generic 'Thanks for applying, we've received applications from hundreds/thousands of qualified candidates, and unfortunately on this occasion we were unable to offer you this role/opportunity etc"

ReputationRep:
    First work experience placement offer for March 2018! I feel like I've won the lottery.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mysticalfluffy)
    First work experience placement offer for March 2018! I feel like I've won the lottery.
    Congrats! :cheers:

Why the name change, out of interest?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FormerlyHistoryStudent)
    Congrats! :cheers:

Why the name change, out of interest?
    Thanks! It’s in memory of my childhood cat haha, plus I wanted less to connect my account to my offline self.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.