Turn on thread page Beta

Please explain this multiple choice answer, AS chemistry watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm in year 12 and just got back my chemistry mock, and I messed up on some of the multiple choice answers. Would someone please explain why C is the correct answer to this question?

'The percentage of iron in a sample of impure iron sulphate crystals can be determined by titrating solutions, made from separate weighed samples acidified with dilute sulphuric acid, against a standard solution of potassium manganate. Which of the following would lead to an inaccurate result? A(transferring the weighed sample of iron sulphate into a wet conical flask), B(failing to measure accurately the volume of water used to dissolve each weighed sample of iron sulphate), C(transferring the standard solution of potassium manganate from its original container to the burette using a wet beaker), or D(failing to measure accurately the volume of dilute sulphuric acid added to the mixture before titration).

Apparently the correct answer is C, so could someone explain why C is the correct answer and not B or D?

Thanks in advance.

ReputationRep:
    is it because in C you are adding water to the potassium manganate so are diluting it so the concentration you think it is is now off slightly?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    If you add extra liquid to standard solution and it goes above the measuring line (at 250ml) its considered diluted and so it would give innacurate results. so its c. if this happens in your practical you would have to make the standard solution over again

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shohaib712)
    If you add extra liquid to standard solution and it goes above the measuring line (at 250ml) its considered diluted and so it would give innacurate results. so its c. if this happens in your practical you would have to make the standard solution over again
    Okay, this makes sense... but can someone please explain why it isn't any of the other options?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by purpleunicorns)
    Okay, this makes sense... but can someone please explain why it isn't any of the other options?
    A) Its really hard to understand what this one means. Are they saying that they would titrate the Standard solution against the iron sulphate. So have the acidified solution in a flask and the alkali in the burette? If so it wouldnt change the result except you would find out the endpoint for the volume of alkali used.

Or is it saying that you added it into a flask which could have impurities/water. if so i dont think it would react with it/affect the concentration of the solution. Were only interested in the concentration it doesnt matter if we added other things that would change the mass.

This one is really confusing id suggest asking your teacher about this one.

B) Doesnt matter how much we add its not gonna change the amout of the solute (iron). Its only going to change the concentration but were gonna titrate it so we would find out how concentrated it is anyways.

d) Doesnt matter cuz the although it would change the endpoint, the amount of iron is still going to be the same. so if we did use too much acid the end point would be sooner *less acid would be needed to neutralise the alkali* but the amount of iron would still be the same and we would still get the same mass of iron once we did the mole equations.

Hope this helps. Where did you get the questions from? Do you mind sending me a copy of the paper i think it would provide some good practice for my Alevel exams

ReputationRep:
    A) Its really hard to understand what this one means. Are they saying that they would titrate the Standard solution against the iron sulphate. So have the acidified solution in a flask and the alkali in the burette? If so it wouldnt change the result except you would find out the endpoint for the volume of alkali used.

Or is it saying that you added it into a flask which could have impurities/water. if so i dont think it would react with it/affect the concentration of the solution. Were only interested in the concentration it doesnt matter if we added other things that would change the mass.

This one is really confusing id suggest asking your teacher about this one.

B) Doesnt matter how much we add its not gonna change the amout of the solute (iron). Its only going to change the concentration but were gonna titrate it so we would find out how concentrated it is anyways.

d) Doesnt matter cuz the although it would change the endpoint, the amount of iron is still going to be the same. so if we did use too much acid the end point would be sooner *less acid would be needed to neutralise the alkali* but the amount of iron would still be the same and we would still get the same mass of iron once we did the mole equations.

Hope this helps. Where did you get the questions from? Do you mind sending me a copy of the paper i think it would provide some good practice for my Alevel exams
    Sorry, I only have a physical copy of the paper, because it was from a mock exam we did in school! Thanks for the answer though.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry, I only have a physical copy of the paper, because it was from a mock exam we did in school! Thanks for the answer though.
    could you scan it/take a photogragh of it?

ReputationRep:
    could you scan it/take a photogragh of it?
    The whole paper?

ReputationRep:
    The whole paper?
    nevermind i have already found it online

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.