Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Alright so I have this question and I want to see how others have answered it.

The diagram shows triangle ABC with AC=8x-3, BC=4x-1, angle ABC=120 degrees and angle ACB=15 degrees.

(a) Show that the exact value of x is 9+√6/20 (7 marks)
    (b) Find the area of triangle ABC giving your answer to 2 decimal places
    (3 marks)

ReputationRep:
    I don't mind anyone answering it please. This question has been bugging me for so long

ReputationRep:
    What have you been able to do so far?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Not much other than find the other remaining angle. I'm unsure as to how I should start it

ReputationRep:
    I'm seeing the first part u use the sine rule or cosine rule and then u simplify to make ur answer look like What They want then second one u just use replace the value of x in the equation for the length is AB and BC and then use the angle ACB and get the area using 1/2ab sinc
    let me know if this helped😊

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bluepotato)
    Alright so I have this question and I want to see how others have answered it.

The diagram shows triangle ABC with AC=8x-3, BC=4x-1, angle ABC=120 degrees and angle ACB=15 degrees.

(a) Show that the exact value of x is 9+√6/20 (7 marks)
    (b) Find the area of triangle ABC giving your answer to 2 decimal places
    (3 marks)
    actually get the missing angle and then use sine rule and make sure u use the exact value of sin 45 and sin 120 to get to the answer they require u to get...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brainmaster)
    I'm seeing the first part u use the sine rule or cosine rule and then u simplify to make ur answer look like What They want then second one u just use replace the value of x in the equation for the length is AB and BC and then use the angle ACB and get the area using 1/2ab sinc
    let me know if this helped😊
    Could you do the question so I can see? We recently had this question in a test and I have to review it again after my teacher has marked it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bluepotato)
    Could you do the question so I can see? We recently had this question in a test and I have to review it again after my teacher has marked it.
    OK so you know two of the side lengths and all three of the angles (using the fact that the sum of the angles in a triangle must be 180 degrees).

So you need to put the information you have into the sine rule (i.e. sinA/A = sinB/B = sinC/C. This rule relies upon knowing pairs of angles and the lengths of their opposite sides. So the 120 degree angle is opposite the side of length (8x-3) and the 45 degree angle is opposite the length of side (4x-1). So now you have to work through the algebra of that. Remember that sin(180 - x) = sin(x) if you're not allowed a calculator!

The area of a triangle can be written as (1/2)*absinC so in this case that would be (1/2)*(4x-1)*(8x-3)*sin(15)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chailatte2407)
    OK so you know two of the side lengths and all three of the angles (using the fact that the sum of the angles in a triangle must be 180 degrees).

So you need to put the information you have into the sine rule (i.e. sinA/A = sinB/B = sinC/C. This rule relies upon knowing pairs of angles and the lengths of their opposite sides. So the 120 degree angle is opposite the side of length (8x-3) and the 45 degree angle is opposite the length of side (4x-1). So now you have to work through the algebra of that. Remember that sin(180 - x) = sin(x) if you're not allowed a calculator!

The area of a triangle can be written as (1/2)*absinC so in this case that would be (1/2)*(4x-1)*(8x-3)*sin(15)

Omds thanks so much!! I'll do it and try it out.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 28, 2018

University open days

• University of Chichester
    Multiple Departments Undergraduate
    Thu, 25 Oct '18
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 26 Oct '18
  • University of Lincoln
    Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Oct '18
Poll
Who do you think it's more helpful to talk about mental health with?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Equations

Best calculators for A level Maths

Tips on which model to get

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.