Turn on thread page Beta

Should boxing be banned? watch

• View Poll Results: Should boxing be banned?
    Yes
    13.33%
    No
    86.67%

ReputationRep:
    In 5 years, 3 deaths have occurred. What do you think? Is a violent-resorting yet enjoyable sport worth banning?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _Eleven_)
    In 5 years, 3 deaths have occurred. What do you think? Is a violent-resorting yet enjoyable sport worth banning?
    3 deaths are obviously a tragic occurrence but that's not really much in the last 5 years. I'm assuming boxers know the risks associated with the sport when they choose to pursue it, so in my opinion, though. I suppose strategies could be taken to make it less dangerous though.

You could say the same with horse-racing. That's dangerous, should we ban it? Again, presuming they're aware of the risks, then no. We shouldn't necessarily ban sports solely because of the risks associated with them.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by username3585844)
    No, boxing has clear rules to prevent serious damages and thus to reduce the risks in fights. As a rule bad injuries couldn't come into being and three deaths in five years - although it is tragically - are very rarely, if it is considered that over hundred fights are holding a year in different weight classes.

ReputationRep:
    3 deaths in 5 years?

It’s not even close to being a dangerous sport.

Cheerleading has more than that in a year. Equestrianism can have 3 deaths in 5 days in the UK alone. And most of those fatalities will be of teenage girls not grown men.

By proportion, cheerleading is easily the most dangerous sport for deaths and critical injuries. By volume it’s easily horse riding.

Boxing is extremely safe by comparison

ReputationRep:
    Though it is dangerous. But anyways I like to watch. I don't have opinion whether it is banned or not. But I love to watch it.

ReputationRep:
    Boxing shoudn't be banned but made safer, isint each bunch basically increasing your chances of brain damage when ur older?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Juvilation)
    Boxing shoudn't be banned but made safer, isint each bunch basically increasing your chances of brain damage when ur older?
    For amateurs and fighters under 18, it is safer. They are wearing a head protection during fighting. Maybe this should be implemented in fightings for adults and pros?

ReputationRep:
    No it shouldn’t be banned but I do not think women should be allowed to compete. I’m not being sexist but it’s one of the toughest sports most noble sports there is. And you see that in how movies portray the sport like ‘The Raging Bull’, ‘Rocky’ etc.

And you spend months training only to tell some one you box and get the reply ‘. Oh my sister does that too.’ Then you think what’s the bloody point in all the training etc I’ve just done, when boxing is being gradually turned into a women’s sport.
    I mean there are hardly droves of men who want to take up ballet or netball. We leave those sports to women.

ReputationRep:
    :noway:

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.