Turn on thread page Beta

Is homosexuality a choice? watch

ReputationRep:
    Do people choose to be gay? Or is it just 'who they are'? Discuss.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _Eleven_)
    Do people choose to be gay? Or is it just 'who they are'? Discuss.
    Do people choose to be straight?

ReputationRep:
    As a gay person I can say it is not a choice.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    No.
    And what's there to discuss, this thread has been done to death already.

ReputationRep:
    No.

Next question.

ReputationRep:
    Personally, I think it's in the genes but as a straight person I don't know exactly. I just think it's part of who you are. The thought of people 'choosing' to be gay or les just doesn't make sense to me. If you're a straight guy, why would you randomly wake up and decide to be homo if you've never been attracted to men? And vice versa.

I think the reason people may not actually come out/express their sexuality until a later age is because A) they've been trying to supress it from feeling pressured to be straight or B) they've experienced confusion regarding the issue and experimented or C) they just don't feel comfortable until later on. Some people probably don't come out of the closet because maybe they're just not comfortable.

But yeah, with the reasons suggested above, I therefore disbelieve the suggestion that people just wake up and 'choose' to have a different sexuality.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Axiomasher)
    Do people choose to be straight?
    Typically, everyone begins straight. It just depends from there where their sexuality goes. I believe that some are genuinely interested in the same gender and some just choose to be homosexual because they may feel heterosexual isn't working out for them.

ReputationRep:
    Typically, everyone begins straight. It just depends from there where their sexuality goes. I believe that some are genuinely interested in the same gender and some just choose to be homosexual because they may feel heterosexual isn't working out for them.
    That's some deep BS.

You can try 'choosing' to be gay to prove it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _Fergo)
    That's some deep BS.

You can try 'choosing' to be gay to prove it.
    I have a girlfriend so if I had any interest in boys, I'd be bisexual.

ReputationRep:
    Not a choice but you can choose whether to display it or not.

ReputationRep:
    Or maybe they experience confusion regarding their sexuality and only realise later that they're gay/bi/les? Or maybe they feel pressured to be straight and find out that trying to conform to what others accept doesn't work, so they therefore come out of the closet.

ReputationRep:
    Everyone is born without a sex drive exceptin paedos but let’s not touch that subject as we age we get sexual hormones and the parts to go with them and our sexuality appears we don’t choose it
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    I have a girlfriend so if I had any interest in boys, I'd be bisexual.
    Well, you aren't, since you're using the conditional.

So, can you choose to 'become' gay and do stuff with a guy?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L'étranger123)
    Not a choice but you can choose whether to display it or not.
    Precisely
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _Fergo)
    Well, you aren't, since you're using the conditional.

So, can you choose to 'become' gay and do stuff with a guy?
    That's not what I mean. But I know girls that have struggled getting boyfriends and have become lesbians. Not that I'm saying homosexuality is purely a choice but how would you explain this?

ReputationRep:
    Does it matter?

ReputationRep:
    That's not what I mean. But I know girls that have struggled getting boyfriends and have become lesbians. Not that I'm saying homosexuality is purely a choice but how would you explain this?
    And I saw an alien the other day, how do YOU explain that? Anecdotal 'evidence' doesn't mean anything, especially when sexuality is so complex.

The 'struggle to get' argument is seriously so darn idiotic. You do realise the pool of potential partners is significantly, significantly higher with heterosexuals than with homosexuals, right?

ReputationRep:
    There are some scholars that argue that that everyone is actually born bisexual, as you grow older you develop masculine or feminine traits and that shapes you into the person you are. However, others would argue that it's as much of a choice as skin colour and that in no way can you change it. Personally, I agree with the latter. If it was a choice why would countless people put themselves through social isolation and sometimes persecution when they could just choose to be straight?

ReputationRep:
    How do you explain people being attracted to animals, is that a choice?

ReputationRep:
    Typically, everyone begins straight...
    I've never met a gay person who believed they just chose to be interested in the same sex anymore than a straight person who believed they just chose to be interested in the opposite sex. On this basis alone I am highly sceptical of your bold assertion. Aside from this the scholarship is very strongly of the view that we do not choose our sexual orientation. Additionally, you just have to think about the widespread historical (and contemporary) persecution and prejudice which people experience when identified as gay to see why it wouldn't make much sense to just 'choose' to be so on some kind of whim.

Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.