Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello

I'm excited to start my PGCE in September, but I'm worried about the Health Check.
    My mum said I got a rejection from one training provider because I was honest that I had a mental health problem (eating disorder, previous background with depression) - I should have lied when they asked me the question directly.
    I didn't want to do that because it would come out on my GP record and then they just think I'm a liar and kick me out then.

Anyway, I'm worried that I will fail it - I am in treatment and it doesn't affect my ability to work at all.

Anyone know how they decide whether you are 'fit to teach'. I'm sure teachers have problems like anyone else, so will I pass?

Any advice would be great, thanks!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by StuckInTheMiddle)
    Hello

I'm excited to start my PGCE in September, but I'm worried about the Health Check.
    My mum said I got a rejection from one training provider because I was honest that I had a mental health problem (eating disorder, previous background with depression) - I should have lied when they asked me the question directly.
    I didn't want to do that because it would come out on my GP record and then they just think I'm a liar and kick me out then.

Anyway, I'm worried that I will fail it - I am in treatment and it doesn't affect my ability to work at all.

Anyone know how they decide whether you are 'fit to teach'. I'm sure teachers have problems like anyone else, so will I pass?

Any advice would be great, thanks!
    I agree you shouldn't lie. If it comes out that you have, I would expect this to affect your suitability to teach. Have you got an offer? If so, I would contact them and explain your situation in full, and ask how best to proceed.

The questionnaire isn't just about barring you from teaching, but also about providing the help and support you might need in order to be able to teach.

• create my feed
  • edit my feed
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.