Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey all. I'm worried about increased stifling of free speech in uni with the 'no platform' policies introduced. What do you think?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    Debated this recently. I think it's up to individual universities on what they choose to adopt as their policy. If the students at that university don't like it, they should do something about it for that university. A UK wide approach isn't necessary in my view.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HighPlaces)
    Hey all. I'm worried about increased stifling of free speech in uni with the 'no platform' policies introduced. What do you think?
    I would consider it a travesty if, in universities, we were not allowed free speech. The place that we go to get new ideas.
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    TSR Group Staff
    (Original post by _Winston_)
    I would consider it a travesty if, in universities, we were not allowed free speech. The place that we go to get new ideas.
    Universities are meant to be places for independent academic study, not political battlegrounds. Speeches with no academic merit should not be warranted any special protection just because of "free speech". The kind of talks that are being subject to "no platforming" rarely deserve a platform at a university to begin with (although there have been a couple of exceptions to this), so I don't see why anyone should be expected to care about them being shut down.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HighPlaces)
    Deliberate invites from self-serving students to controversial speakers for the publicity is what it's about. That there might be a 'no platform' response doesn't do any harm because they don't really care about free speech, just getting a rep for being 'edgy' and 'testing' the establishment. It's already been said in the thread, Universities are places of learning not for the deliberate and calculating provoking of political controversy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dez)
    Universities are meant to be places for independent academic study, not political battlegrounds. Speeches with no academic merit should not be warranted any special protection just because of "free speech". The kind of talks that are being subject to "no platforming" rarely deserve a platform at a university to begin with (although there have been a couple of exceptions to this), so I don't see why anyone should be expected to care about them being shut down.
    The problem is that these people are not being "no platformed" because their talks are not relevant. By the way, they pay for the venue. The problem is that they are being shut down because people don't like what they have to say. So I will care. Besides, politics is a degree.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.