The Student Room Group

Free speech

Hey all. I'm worried about increased stifling of free speech in uni with the 'no platform' policies introduced. What do you think?
I believe free speech should not apply to any speech that explicitly attacks demographics and advocates for hate. Like, I definitely don't think Nazis should be given a platform. But I haven't heard of this no-platform thing, what is it?
Reply 2
In the UK freedom of speech doesn't cover hate speech. No platforming people who are known for their hate speech isn't stifling free speech. They're free to **** off and be hateful elsewhere until the police catch up with them.
Reply 3
Original post by Pantsu
In the UK freedom of speech doesn't cover hate speech. No platforming people who are known for their hate speech isn't stifling free speech. They're free to **** off and be hateful elsewhere until the police catch up with them.

You're walking a very dangerous line if you believe that.

If this is the right way then there needs to be consistency. Muslim marches in towns such as Luton with chants to kill the infidels and behead them sounds jolly like hate speech to me but nevertheless they are permitted to exercise the freedom to do that.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending