Turn on thread page Beta

Should the voting age across the UK be lowered to 16? watch

•  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    In Scotland, 16 and 17 year olds can vote in local and Scottish Parliamentary elections.

Should the rest of the UK also allow votes at 16?

Danielle Rowley, MP for Midlothian, is leading a Westminster Hall debate on equality of voting ages in the UK. You can watch the debate live on Parliament TV from 4pm http://parliamentlive.tv/Event/Index...f-eff7dffe5b5a

ReputationRep:
    Absolutely not. I've just turned 18 and even now, after studying politics for nearly two years I think many people at this age have no clue about politics and shouldn't vote, so why should even less experienced children, not even legally adults have the right to say about the countries future?I won't say all 16's are immature and neither are all adults who vote, so personally i'm happy to keep the status quo. I was 16 when the Scottish referendum happened and I was appalled the Scottish tried to cheat the vote by allowing 16 y/o to swing the vote in favour of independance.

ReputationRep:
    this really discriminates against 15 year olds :emo:

how are 16 year olds more qualified to vote than 15 year olds ?

:dontknow:
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    No taxation without representation. I don't mind which you pick, but 16 year olds shouldn't be liable to pay into the system through direct taxation if they don't get a say on who runs the system.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the bear)
    this really discriminates against 15 year olds :emo:

how are 16 year olds more qualified to vote than 15 year olds ?

:dontknow:
    How are 18-year-olds more qualified to vote than 16-year-olds?

ReputationRep:
    No! There is little to no political education, even the people eligible to vote don't know what they're voting for.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Know Your Enemy)
    How are 18-year-olds more qualified to vote than 16-year-olds?
    the only rational answer is extend suffrage to all age groups.

ReputationRep:
    I'm personally in favour of lowering the age, but I think political education should be a mandatory part of the curriculum before the voting age is lowered. Having political education a part of the curriculum improves their political knowledge as they're learning more about how the system works, etc. We should also be encouraging teenagers to actually have a political interest, which would increase the quantity of young voters. In my opinion, 18-year-olds aren't much more mature than 16-year-olds so teenagers should therefore get a vote.

You can enrol in the army at 16 and get married at 16, yet 18 to vote? If nobody's willing to lower the voting age, a sensible alternative would be to raise the army enrolment/marriage age to 18 so the limits are actually consistent.

ReputationRep:
    Yep! If the government think you're mature enough to have sex, enrol in the army and get married at 16, you should be able to vote.

ReputationRep:
    Only lower it if you lower everything else such as the smoking, drinking and driving age.

ReputationRep:
    Only if proper, unbiased education is given at schools so they actually understand who and what they're voting for
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    (Original post by indy1999)
    No! There is little to no political education, even the people eligible to vote don't know what they're voting for.
    (Original post by bones-mccoy)
    Only if proper, unbiased education is given at schools so they actually understand who and what they're voting for
    I agree, if the voting age lowers I think there needs to be mandatory political education as part of the curriculum and local MPs need to be available in schools a couple of times a year to ensure there is a sense of connection. To be honest this should happen anyway... ..

I feel it shouldn't be the history of politics as that's bland - it needs to be up to date discussion/ debate on issues in the news locally and nationally for it to feel relevant and insightful. Students then can begin to forge their own opinions.

ReputationRep:
    I can see why people at 16-17 want to vote, at that age you're suddenly being handed a lot of responsibility that you've never experienced before and are suddenly expected to know a lot more about the world, but in personal opinion I feel as though that massive shocking change to 16-17yos could cause them a lot of confusion if they were also being pressured to vote. I'm not 100% set on this but I feel that it makes more sense for that 2 year period to be used for young people to come to terms with what their political opinions are for themselves and then go into voting at 18 with a clearer mindset
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    No. If anything, the voting age should be increased.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    No.

ReputationRep:
    Most people who vote are disgustingly stupid. It is inappropriate to pretend the act of voting requires or encompasses mature thought.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Notoriety)
    Most people who vote are disgustingly stupid. It is inappropriate to pretend the act of voting requires or encompasses mature thought.
    Very true. Socrates had the right idea, frankly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 04MR17)
    No taxation without representation. I don't mind which you pick, but 16 year olds shouldn't be liable to pay into the system through direct taxation if they don't get a say on who runs the system.
    This.

It's not about age. There's probably just as many 16/17 year old's with a solid grasp of political theory, history, philosophy, and current affairs, as there are adults with no knowledge, or interest in politics whatso ever, but vote based on random reasons, such as which party leader they think looks the fittest (know that one from personal experience).

If you work, and pay taxes, (and if you work legally, you get no choice in the matter or face the courts), then you should have the right to vote, even if not considered an adult legally.
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    No. It's too young.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Less(e/o)n)
    No. If anything, the voting age should be increased.
    I wish people would just shut up with this argument. It's fine to not want it lowered to 16, but if you're not going to lower it then it should stay exactly where it is, at 18 where you're a legal adult with all the rights and responsibilities that come with it. There is absolutely no good reason for it to be any higher than that.

Leave my vote alone thank you very much.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.