Turn on thread page Beta
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Really good article on the importance of keeping Children active and about some of them being scared off from PE, thoughts?
    https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...P=share_btn_fb

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rock Fan)
    Really good article on the importance of keeping Children active and about some of them being scared off from PE, thoughts?
    https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...P=share_btn_fb
    For me at least I wasn't scared of PE but I did despise it and always tried to avoid doing anything. We would always be given an option to do something simple so the less PE inclined people could do little.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I absolutely hated PE. I'm just not good at doing continuous physical activity for 60 minutes straight, which is what my teachers made us do. If you stopped to breathe even for a minute, you were shouted at for not trying hard enough or for giving up. Some students were even throwing up on the field because they were being pushed to keep going so much. That's not healthy, and the reason I resented PE so much. I'm not surprised it isn't seen as an important thing to attend, because there are so many tests and exams pupils have coming at them week after week, sport is not a priority when exams are made to be the end of the world if you fail.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    We had this discussion at the weekend. I hated it. We had to do cross country. But only when it was cold and wet outside. They wondered why no-one enjoyed it. We were never given a choice of what we wanted to do and we did the same thing year after year.

ReputationRep:
    i was so terrible at the written side of GCSE PE that i (and a large amount of the year as it turns out) was kicked off the course. I think it’s so they got better results in the subject because having 40% of your students fail isn’t a good look. I was pleased until i found out we still had to do the practical side...
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I like the physical aspect of it, but get very self conscious sometimes that I don't do anything, only to get told off by the teacher.

I don't envy people in secondary school who have to do swimming though - that would send self esteem plummeting to the ground... (making them dislike P.E)

ReputationRep:
    well my pe teacher had a go at me for stopping during a mile run because i was having a asthma attack so he made stay behind after school to run it so i hate pe

ReputationRep:
    I hated it.

You were put into sets in our year which I think made it more self-concious, because it was based on how fast you could run something, so basically your stamina. Teachers also clearly favoured the olympic types, the ones who took the games so seriously and shouted at you if they thought you were making the teams lose.
    I also hated getting changed infront of everyone else, as I was really self-concious about my body and stuff, and our changing rooms got so crowded.
    I also hated doing it in the freezing cold. There's nothing worse than playing sport outside in the middle of January.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by laurawatt)
    I like the physical aspect of it, but get very self conscious sometimes that I don't do anything, only to get told off by the teacher.

I don't envy people in secondary school who have to do swimming though - that would send self esteem plummeting to the ground... (making them dislike P.E)
    I had to do swimming in S2 but I just refused and was made to sit at the side in the very hot and humid room. Horrible experience.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Ngl, I was the type of person who really did enjoy P.E, maybe because it was a physical sport and I was able to go outside and be active, keeping myself fit. But there was a time that i remembered when a girl just disliked it because of how the others would be negative towards her, more towards her weight and how she wouldnt be part of some of the activites. And I just thought that was sad, yh P.E is important for your health and body, but someone should not be forced to take part in it if they dont want to. It brings down their self- esteem and confidence.

ReputationRep:
    Primary school PE should be about trying out new sports. Secondary school PE should be about teaching kids how to train (even if they don't intend to pursue a career in sport because it's good for their long term physical health)

Also I believe that attitudes towards PE depend on the student's parents as well, some will push them to succeed, others are genuine snowflakes who will complain if their child breaks a bone (as if any career sportsperson got anywhere without getting injured...)

ReputationRep:
    I hated pe as the teachers didn't care if you were ill or in a large amount of pain and also allowed bullying calling it motivation. also girls were only allowed to do "girl sports" such as hockey and netball whereas guys had to do "masculine sports" this was only 3 years ago and I have younger friends who have said it hasn't changed at all

ReputationRep:
    i loved it complete chill lesson same for art, music and dt

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DrawTheLine)
    I absolutely hated PE. I'm just not good at doing continuous physical activity for 60 minutes straight, which is what my teachers made us do. If you stopped to breathe even for a minute, you were shouted at for not trying hard enough or for giving up. Some students were even throwing up on the field because they were being pushed to keep going so much. That's not healthy, and the reason I resented PE so much. I'm not surprised it isn't seen as an important thing to attend, because there are so many tests and exams pupils have coming at them week after week, sport is not a priority when exams are made to be the end of the world if you fail.
    Haha! You have it easy! I play for 1hr 40 mins and even in bad weather conditions!

ReputationRep:
    I hated the lack of choice. The exercise was good, and, in hindsight, kept me a lot fitter than I am now! It got better in sixth form when you were allowed to choose which sports you did depending on the season.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Don'tKnowAName)
    Haha! You have it easy! I play for 1hr 40 mins and even in bad weather conditions!
    Sorry but how is it easy that teachers are forcing pupils to do so much physical work that they are vomiting repeatedly and fainting?

ReputationRep:
    PE lessons in primary were loads of fun, (included everyone of all abilities) but in secondary it was mostly all about who was best at what.

ReputationRep:
    I really hated it, I was always terrible at everything and it meant I would be mocked for not being good at things like football or rugby. It was horrible in the winter when we'd do stuff outside regardless of weather and we'd be on an exposed football pitch all wet and freezing.

Because it wasn't streamed on ability, I would also be in classes with people much better than me, and I'd end up just doing nothing, because all the talented ones were playing at their pace and I couldn't keep up or get seriously involved. As if they were having their own separate game.

PE is just one of those things that's absolutely awful if you're socially inhibited and anxious. It's just humiliating for those who are not as good at it. It definitely still needs to be compulsory but it needs to change, have more choice of activities, and be more about encouraging exercise. Not about forcing one or two competitive sports down their throats and if you're no good at them then tough, because that is something that can definitely put people off exercise in later life.

ReputationRep:
    I wasnt scared of pe.
    I was just sick of the way my friends and i were treated. We cant help it if we're terrible at it. Being stuck in a class with the popular *****y group was awful. Talked about behind our backs, laughed at us, etc. They're probably like "Instead of encouraging and helping them, lets make pe hell for them and ruin their self esteem!11!!"
    They would also get in a strop and put the blame on others when the team loses. Like get over yourself, there's more to life than losing a game of rounders.
    And the teachers were useless because they didn't do anything about it.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I think a lot of it can be related to the gender separations. My own experience of PE felt like a testosterone competition a lot of the time, and since I'm lacking a fair bit in that department, I didn't really enjoy it to be honest.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.