Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Are Children being scared off from PE watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I haaattttteeeeed PE, i was always in bottom set and treated like scum :rofl: put me off of sport and exercise for years

and PE teachers are literally useless- no offence

ReputationRep:
    I think PE should be a mix of activities and with more understanding of how fitness works and how to avoid injury, what exercise does to the body etc. In school there is no understanding of this and people are expected to perform activities that are physically beyond them and not given an understanding of why they are physically beyond them. For example what is the point of doing the bleep test once a year if you don’t understand how you could improve your performance on it or what it is even measuring? All that would happen is we would drop out early and feel as though we had failed, then never do the test again until next time when we got the exact same result. Or the point of being asked to run an 800m randomly one day, with half the class unable to complete it at a run and feeling as though they have failed. There is too much emphasis on competitiveness and not enough emphasis on personal goals and performance even though the latter is much more relevant for how the majority of people will need to approach physical fitness in life.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    I hated PE but that was because PE was essentially defined as competitive sports. Absolutely put me off it. Competitive sports isn't for everybody.

ReputationRep:
    Early years PE was terrible. Being forced to play football/rugby in freezing conditions.

In years 10/11 we were allowed to pick our own sports and split up into smaller groups. My group didn't have a teacher assigned so we would just have a vote at the start of each lessons about what we wanted to do. Sometimes it was decided to stack all the crash mats into a pile and dive off of the climbing bars onto them, others we would attempt hockey which descended into wacking eachother in the ankles... other times we'd opt for cross country running but only make it as far as the McDonalds down the road.

ReputationRep:
    I loved PE at primary school and secondary school, swimming, hockey, rounders, netball, badminton even Zumba!...then again basically all the teachers that I've had throughout my life were all fun.

ReputationRep:
    I wasn't very good at sports (except running) and so I didn't feel confident in the subject and the "teacher" if you can call him that was very unaccomodating to poor performers like myself. There was no feedback or personal coaching just the same every lesson regardless of what the sport was - being relegated to the back of the class like some second rate class citizen and being expected to not argue back because "other students are better at football". Thus, I stopped going to the majority of the classess.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't mind running, badminton, tennis, dodgeball, trampolining, hockey and using gym equipment but I hated playing games like netball/basketball/rounders/etc. But pretty much everyone would vote for the latter so we did those most weeks. :/
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Rock Fan)
    Really good article on the importance of keeping Children active and about some of them being scared off from PE, thoughts?
    https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...P=share_btn_fb
    PE at primary school was fine.

Secondary school PE was just an opportunity for the students who were failing their Maths/Science/English/History/Geog to pick on those who do well academically. I say this because PE teachers from what I've seen encourage this type of behaviour and actually enjoy talking about who got picked on/who was the worst in the staff room.

Seems like there are no standards when it comes to who gets to be a PE teacher either. I'm going to exaggerate here, but I'm convinced the more GBH/Assault convictions you have on your Police record the higher the chance of your securing a job given the disgraceful behaviour of these so-called 'teachers'.

tl;dr: Most secondary PE teachers I've seen were just bullies and did nothing to encourage people to keep fit/healthy.

Spoiler:
    Show

Despite my ramblings, I ended up getting a Distinction * in my PE BTEC as it was all coursework :ahee:

ReputationRep:
    Fitness in school felt so enforced. I like it a hell of a lot more when I want to do it (obviously).

ReputationRep:
    It wasn't the exercise I was scared of, it was always being forced to get into groups, when you're a loser and no one wants you in their group. and then kids are very critical of your performance too, they'd always scream at me for not catching or hitting the balls or not running fast enough. bloody hated PE and various other lessons as a result

ReputationRep:
    Why I hated PE:

1) When you have 2 team captains having to choose people for their team. It's depressing seeing those people (sometimes myself) getting picked last.

2) Cross Country in December, in the rain, less than 0 degrees celsius, where the PE uniform is just a shirt and shorts and the course is literally just mud.

3) Forced to do the same sport which you don't enjoy at all and you're terrible at over and over again.

4) PE Teachers who just constantly shout and insult you all the time, even in front of the class/group.

5) When the people in your team get really angry at you after losing for sucking at the sport.

6) Swimming. Death for people who are extremely self-conscious like me.

7) When they upload our Cross Country positions and times for EVERYONE in our year to see. Personally I did quite well in them, but I can imagine how low the self-esteem is for people who come last (or near last).

8) Sets. When you're in the bottom set... They're not entirely bad, since you don't have to play against all the good players in rugby who are like at least 6ft tall.

ReputationRep:
    Hated PE and it wasn't the pe that was the worst part of it it was the mixture of the people in my group and the teachers. For some reason all the bad pupils seemed to be really good and competitive at pe. PE and Drama throughout yr7-yr9 is just a field for the loud people to bully others.
    • Community Assistant

Community Assistant
    (Original post by lucianmoss)
    I loved P.E and everyone who doesn't is a fatty and need to go outside instead of replying to a pointless forum while eating a big mac. GET YOUR GREASY FINGERS OFF THE KEYBOARD FATTIES!
    If it's pointless then why are you replying to it?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by indy1999)
    well my pe teacher had a go at me for stopping during a mile run because i was having a asthma attack so he made stay behind after school to run it so i hate pe
    This happened to me too. We had to do two laps of the cross country circuit, and by the end of the first lap I was having real trouble breathing (I hadn't been diagnosed at that point, but was obviously in respiratory distress). My teacher shouted at me for being lazy when I physically had to stop running, and threatened me with after school detention if I refused to continue.

I ended up collapsing half way round the second lap, and the teacher still had the audacity to insinuate that I was faking to prove a point. Because people who are faking tend to need an emergency nebuliser and oxygen. :facepalm:

I just dislike it, I hate having to run around and fall over all the time, I hate getting muddy and I hate being pushed or tackled.
    It doesn't appeal to me in the slightest, I would rather fill the time with another subject.

It doesn't help that every PE teacher i've ever met has been pushy or obnoxious, they seem to like all the bad kids too because PE seems to be the only thing they're good at.

ReputationRep:
    PE was fun if you were in a class with friends and could also choose teams/groups to work with. Else you'd be in a class with people you don't get on with, get put on teams with said people which then stops you working well as a team, have to share changing rooms when you're a teenager so you're already insecure, be made to go outside even in the wind/rain/cold, and if you weren't especially good at a given sport people who took PE games seriously would get annoyed with you. It was all just a bit miserable.

ReputationRep:
    I loved it...
    Bleep tests were soooo ****ing emotional.. (going to an all boys school means everyone wants to be competitive af)

ReputationRep:
    I hate PE so much! What makes it worse is that the teachers I have are mega unfair, they are sexist (girls are not allowed on the football team with the boys and this is only a bit of them being sexist). They have favouritism, they will let surtian students not do PE if they I've dont have a reason or if they have some sort of injury or if it is a girl and they tell them its that time or something. There are other students like my self who get made to PE if they have a injury are made to struggle through out the entier lesson which is nearly two hours long and if one of the other girls that they were on their period they will just get made to do it, even if they are heavy at that time. If one of the studens that the teachers have favouritism walked out of lesson because they just never wanted to to do PE but one the other hand if one of the students that they dont have favouritism walked out of lesson they would just get a detention. The teachers would just push you to the max, an unhealthy max and if you said you cant do something you will just get moaned and shouted out even know you are exhausted and mentally wanting to die. Most people love it when they close school one a day do have PE.

ReputationRep:
    I think there were a few problems with PE:
    1. The annual cross-country race. The distance was very far, and there was no support in lessons leading up to it to help us train for it. Essentially, everyone had to run ridiculously far without having any practice to train us up for the event or get us used to running long-distance. I'm not saying the race should have been removed, I'm just saying it should have been made less stressful by training us first.
    2. The gender separation in PE was unfair and sexist. There were plenty of girls who wanted to try football, and plenty of boys who couldn't stand rugby. In year 10 they let us switch to the PE lessons of the opposite gender if we wanted, but it was heavily discouraged.
    3. Frankly, it was cold, and it's ridiculous the fact that we weren't allowed to bring coats outside in the winter.
    4. Some people accidentally forget their kit, not on purpose, but ACCIDENTALLY. The teachers would get so cross that if I forgot my kit (which thankfully I didn't) I would have probably pretended to be ill so that I could go home.
    5. The lack of sets, actually. Different students develop at different rates, and I was never any good at coordination. It was just unfair to have the same expectations for students of vastly different abilities, and often the teacher would have to take attention away from the rest of the class to work with me one-on-one (which I wouldn't have needed if I was in a set with others of my ability!). Too high expectations just scares off the students, whereas a reasonable level of challenge encourages them.

ReputationRep:
    Team sports for those who don't like them or the particular sport are unpleasant. There is a real issue with obesity and so if PE is not something children enjoy, then it can have a health impact. The kind of PE kit can make a difference given how self conscious many people are.

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.