Turn on thread page Beta

Are Children being scared off from PE watch

ReputationRep:
    The problem is that TSR is, let's be honest, probably attracting the sort of people who would rather sit inside on their laptops than go outside and run around.

For a lot of people (who maybe, shock horror, aren't as academic as most people here) team sports give them something they can actually take pride in and excel in. And school is an extremely important place to get people involved in these sort of things. What we have here is kids in top set maths complaining that they don't enjoy it when they're asked to do something which they find difficult and where other people are better than them. Diddums, frankly.

A few people have complained that gender segregation is sexist. Mixed-gender PE would be useless and no fun for anyone, obviously. Fact is, come puberty, almost all the girls cannot match the athleticism of most of the boys. Wouldn't be fun for the boys or the girls, and would make a complete mockery of the competitive nature of these sports.

Finally, some people have complained that it's cold and muddy. I find it hard to adequately phrase my contempt without being unforgivably rude. Maybe if you stopped whinging and ran around a little your body would warm up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Delusion6)
    It wasn't the exercise I was scared of, it was always being forced to get into groups, when you're a loser and no one wants you in their group. and then kids are very critical of your performance too, they'd always scream at me for not catching or hitting the balls or not running fast enough. bloody hated PE and various other lessons as a result
    Sounds like something I'd write.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rinsed)
    The problem is that TSR is, let's be honest, probably attracting the sort of people who would rather sit inside on their laptops than go outside and run around.

For a lot of people (who maybe, shock horror, aren't as academic as most people here) team sports give them something they can actually take pride in and excel in. And school is an extremely important place to get people involved in these sort of things. What we have here is kids in top set maths complaining that they don't enjoy it when they're asked to do something which they find difficult and where other people are better than them. Diddums, frankly.

A few people have complained that gender segregation is sexist. Mixed-gender PE would be useless and no fun for anyone, obviously. Fact is, come puberty, almost all the girls cannot match the athleticism of most of the boys. Wouldn't be fun for the boys or the girls, and would make a complete mockery of the competitive nature of these sports.

Finally, some people have complained that it's cold and muddy. I find it hard to adequately phrase my contempt without being unforgivably rude. Maybe if you stopped whinging and ran around a little your body would warm up.
    Were you bad in class so preferred to do the bad class of PE torment?
    We are here to discuss our bad experiences of PE as we all hated it for many reasons. Anyone who did like it won't find this the place for them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bio 7)
    Were you bad in class so preferred to do the bad class of PE torment?
    We are here to discuss our bad experiences of PE as we all hated it for many reasons. Anyone who did like it won't find this the place for them.
    I was excellent in class. I also liked PE.

And no, I think I will stick around in this thread actually, but thanks all the same. Someone needs to cut against the tide of whingyness which has been prevailing here.

ReputationRep:
    I hated it. I was never good in sports except maybe swimming but my school didn't offer that (we did have a pool back in early 2000s apparently) and in Year 10/11 when we got to choose, I always chose the indoor activities so me and my friends could stay in the cupboard and essentially ditch. And it wasn't fun playing Rounders either when you went against the school's rounders team who (rightly) took the sport seriously and didn't understand that not everybody had the same level of enthusiasm for the sport.

Honestly, the only thing that kept me going is that in Year 13 I could drop it.

ReputationRep:
    I was excellent in class. I also liked PE.

And no, I think I will stick around in this thread actually, but thanks all the same. Someone needs to cut against the tide of whingyness which has been prevailing here.
    Why try to ruin our venting? My teachers weren't the worst but the whole class itself was dreadful when people get annoyed because you aren't as good as them.

Anyone else ever hate doing hockey? The rest of them always played it like golf which made me very uncomfortable. This is alongside the small sticks which, when held while having to bend down to have them held right, caused so much pain with the awkward position.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GalGirl101)
    I hated it. I was never good in sports except maybe swimming but my school didn't offer that (we did have a pool back in early 2000s apparently) and in Year 10/11 when we got to choose, I always chose the indoor activities so me and my friends could stay in the cupboard and essentially ditch. And it wasn't fun playing Rounders either when you went against the school's rounders team who (rightly) took the sport seriously and didn't understand that not everybody had the same level of enthusiasm for the sport.

Honestly, the only thing that kept me going is that in Year 13 I could drop it.
    You could drop it? I bet few people had that option elsewhere.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bio 7)
    You could drop it? I bet few people had that option elsewhere.
    PE was compulsory from Year 7-12. In Year 13 you were given the option to choose if you wanted to do it or not (I chose not). I get that, I do but that didn't stop the PE teachers making your life living hell
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    i don't mind pe, but the sport we do sometimes gets really repetitive and makes a double lesson last an age- netball and badminton is one thing they do so so often.
    i'm generally a fit person but my actual sport ability's not great so i can run a mile but probably can't play rounders.
    we were separated in regards to ability so i was put in the lower set- turned out fine as most of my set aren't competitive at all and just do pe for the sake of doing it, so team sports can sometimes be fun. our pe teachers have never been particularly harsh, though so that's also a plus.
    only time i don't like pe is when we're with the upper ability group and have to play sports with girls from that group, that being said it depended on which girls i was integrated with. most of the "popular" ones made me awfully uncomfortable because they were acting above us, with their athletic ability and toned bodies and were losing their temper every time i cocked up. nothing too bad though, i think we are a bit of a snowflake generation- i just ignored them everytime they acted like that.

people who are self-conscious and get anxious easily won't find pe lessons great if their teacher only cares about their sporting ability, particuarly compeitive sports- teachers shouldn't have to put huge emphasis on your sporting ability but instead encourage exercise and overall healthy living. that being said, team sports are still important and can be enjoyable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bio 7)
    Why try to ruin our venting? My teachers weren't the worst but the whole class itself was dreadful when people get annoyed because you aren't as good as them.
    Why not?

And that's life. You'll be in teams your whole life, and a big part of being in a team is knowing how to get the best out of yourself and your teammates. Getting angry is not a good way, and team sports in school are a good way of teaching that. I'm sorry if it was uncomfortable for you, but if kids are wrapped up in cotton wool the whole time (so that no one ever has any hurt feelings) then they'll miss out on valuable lessons.

ReputationRep:
    Why not?

And that's life. You'll be in teams your whole life, and a big part of being in a team is knowing how to get the best out of yourself and your teammates. Getting angry is not a good way, and team sports in school are a good way of teaching that. I'm sorry if it was uncomfortable for you, but if kids are wrapped up in cotton wool the whole time (so that no one ever has any hurt feelings) then they'll miss out on valuable lessons.
    That whole analysis was not applicablebto me I merely hated what we did and would have much prefered the time be spent on something more useful. It sounds like you are trying to make us out to be weak and pathetic when our strengths lie elsewhere.

ReputationRep:
    My high school PE teachers were bullies. They always had their favourites and treated anybody else horribly. That doesn't exactly encourage kids who aren't great at sport to get better.

ReputationRep:
    The amount of doctors appointments I made during PE, and the amount of times I saved complaints to the nurse for PE hours... thank god for sixth form

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bio 7)
    That whole analysis was not applicablebto me I merely hated what we did and would have much prefered the time be spent on something more useful. It sounds like you are trying to make us out to be weak and pathetic when our strengths lie elsewhere.
    And I'm sure there were other kids who hated maths/science/English, didn't see how it was relevant to them, and would have rather spent the time focussing on where their strengths lay. And yet we, as a rule, don't let them.

I don't think everyone who isn't good at sport is pathetic at all (although people who go on the internet and whinge that the field was cold and the sporty kids were mean aren't exactly portraying themselves as strong and capable), but there are many good reasons why it needs to be included at school. The fact that some kids aren't good at PE is unfortunate, but that doesn't detract from its necessity.

ReputationRep:
    And I'm sure there were other kids who hated maths/science/English, didn't see how it was relevant to them, and would have rather spent the time focussing on where their strengths lay. And yet we, as a rule, don't let them.

I don't think everyone who isn't good at sport is pathetic at all (although people who go on the internet and whinge that the field was cold and the sporty kids were mean aren't exactly portraying themselves as strong and capable), but there are many good reasons why it needs to be included at school. The fact that some kids aren't good at PE is unfortunate, but that doesn't detract from its necessity.
    Given how little time was dedicated to PE each week there is little reason why we should have been made to go to it. I don't see why you are even here as I already said we are having a nice venting session about it and all you want to do it moan to me about us doing so.

Have you nothing better to do than bother people like this? Venting can help people feel better and be fun to share experiences, all you are doing is trying to stop that by making the whole idea out to be us complaining for no reason. Go find another thread to post on, your piece has been said.

ReputationRep:
    PE is a pain in the ass; It's not that I don't like exercise, it's just the lessons are boring as hell.

Also, this exercise being proportional to academic attainment sounds dodgy asf. If anything, there was either no correlation or negative correlation from my school and the people I've seen at interviews.

Probably down to richer people doing more sports and being richer correlates with intelligence to some extent. They do have a variety of more sports at their disposal, and money to access the gym.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bio 7)
    Given how little time was dedicated to PE each week there is little reason why we should have been made to go to it. I don't see why you are even here as I already said we are having a nice venting session about it and all you want to do it moan to me about us doing so.

Have you nothing better to do than bother people like this? Venting can help people feel better and be fun to share experiences, all you are doing is trying to stop that by making the whole idea out to be us complaining for no reason. Go find another thread to post on, your piece has been said.
    This forum is called educational debate. I am debating. About education. You don't actually get to personally decide which people go in each thread, especially not when they're decidedly on-topic.

If I were being mean, I'd point out that you're whinging about the suggestion that you're all whinging. But in this instance I'll refrain.

ReputationRep:
    This forum is called educational debate. I am debating. About education. You don't actually get to personally decide which people go in each thread, especially not when they're decidedly on-topic.

If I were being mean, I'd point out that you're whinging about the suggestion that you're all whinging. But in this instance I'll refrain.
    I agree that we are all whinging about it, is that so wrong all the time? Not every forum is a debate if it turns into this sort if thing where we are all sharing experiences.

ReputationRep:
    OMG I hated PE what put me off it was the competitive team sports and the primarily sporty people who were so toxic and spewed biles of hate if you weren't good at it. like I was never good at football for example nor do I have much interest in it, so when I was picked I was always forced into goal and would be horrible at it so I let in most of the goals and the same people that put me in goal would be angry for me letting it in. even if I expressed my lack of skills. I was and am always more interested in computers/tech/programming and science.

so to avoid it all together I'd just forge PE notes from my parents and forget my kit at home.unless we had the choice to choose then I would've picked something minimal and used the opportunity to nap for a bit.

ReputationRep:
    I only liked PE in year 11 when we mixed genders

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.