Turn on thread page Beta

Why does the UK freak out when it snows? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I mean only in some places it’s not snowing as much at all but people are acting like there’s an avalanche trapping them inside.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Maybe its because it hasnt snowed that much for a couple of years, except for last year

ReputationRep:
    We're just very used to mild weather! Colder places may be used to it but us? Not particularly so.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by farahhh24)
    We're just very used to mild weather! Colder places may be used to it but us? Not particularly so.
    I feel like the weather is so odd though. There’s heatwaves, then storms and loads of rain and then snow but we’re never prepared or used to any of it 😂
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Usually i agree, it's pathetic when people go into meltdown (no pun intended) over one flake. However it has actually been very heavy where i am at least this time

ReputationRep:
    we're not very experienced with snow neither are we well equipped to deal with it so everyone just begins to panic

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CoolCavy)
    Usually i agree, it's pathetic when people go into meltdown (no pun intended) over one flake. However it has actually been very heavy where i am at least this time
    For places that have lots of snow I completely understand especially when it’s black ice but I’m in a place where the ground is dry but a few snowflakes started falling and people started really panicking
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Meanwhile people in Canada are laughing at us.

ReputationRep:
    The U.K. usually freaks out whenever it snows or gets really hot (by which I mean 19 degrees which is cold in other countries 😂)

We're just used to average weather

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rresa)
    For places that have lots of snow I completely understand especially when it’s black ice but I’m in a place where the ground is dry but a few snowflakes started falling and people started really panicking
    To borrow a phrase from Men in Black; a person is smart, people are stupid.

We don't have the infrastructure to cope with weather that occurs once every 2/3 years. Nobody's prepared to invest in the equipment that it would require.
    And because we're so temperate for 95% of the time, those times when it falls into the 5% make people react stupidly.

And then there's the media who's only remit is to sell, so therefore they have to come up with more extreme ways of talking about the story in order for their channel to get more attention.

(Original post by UWS)
    Meanwhile people in Canada are laughing at us.
    I was in Canada a month ago skiing. It's actually colder in Manchester today than it was when I was out there.

ReputationRep:
    Because it can disrupt travel plans.

ReputationRep:
    They also do when it rains as they suddenly lose the ability to drive sensibly

ReputationRep:
    The media makes a big deal of it.

ReputationRep:
    I lived in Scotland for over 10 years and i'm currently down in the midlands. I know that where I used to live in Scotland it's snowed about 3-4 feet. Where I am in the midlands there is no more than 2cm, yet everyone is worried about getting to work. Prime reason is that in southern UK most cities and towns etc. don't have sufficient gritters or snowplows, whereas in Scotland if there was a slight chance of heavy snow everywhere would be gritted by midnight before fall. I've lived in several times of -24 degrees and snow up to 10 feet, but then I did basically live by the mountains...

ReputationRep:
    the don't salt our roads so it's too dangerous to do much in the cars we have

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SAMHANLEY88)
    the don't salt our roads so it's too dangerous to do much in the cars we have
    In my area in London they salt the main roads just not the side roads

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rresa)
    I mean only in some places it’s not snowing as much at all but people are acting like there’s an avalanche trapping them inside.
    It's because we don't get that much snow so we don't have the equipment to deal with it if we did everyone would have snow chains and or snow tires on their car and know what to take with them in the event of heavy snow if they get stuck.

ReputationRep:
    Snow - any good excuse for a day off school.

ReputationRep:
    Too many people live in London and no one in London ever sees snow

When they do...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rresa)
    In my area in London they salt the main roads just not the side roads
    we live in the country and they salt like once a year 😂

Poll
Cats or dogs?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.