Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

When's the latest I can start work experience for medicine? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hey all,

I've been wanting to medicine for as long as I can imagine but the only problem standing in my way is work experience.

It's now March and I haven't got any secured places with my UCAS being sent off in October and interviews later on during the year. I have a very jam packed summer and it will be hard to gain experience then. I'm very worried as I think this means it will make my application significantly weaker for a Russell Group University.

When would it be too late to start work experience and do I stand a chance?

Also would GP work experience count as a substitute for hospital work experience?

Many Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mat325h)
    Hey all,

I've been wanting to medicine for as long as I can imagine but the only problem standing in my way is work experience.

It's now March and I haven't got any secured places with my UCAS being sent off in October and interviews later on during the year. I have a very jam packed summer and it will be hard to gain experience then. I'm very worried as I think this means it will make my application significantly weaker for a Russell Group University.

Also would GP work experience count as a substitute for hospital work experience?

Many Thanks
    Obviously you will need some work experience to discuss in your PS- and you will probably need this finished by the end of September to give your referee time to write you a reference.

Medicine is hugely competitive at every university, and without decent work experience, your application will really suffer. It's not uncommon for strong applicants to get 4 rejections.

What are you doing this summer that is more important than gaining experience for medicine? Are you really sure medicine is the route for you?

ReputationRep:
    Hey all,

Many Thanks
    Have you sent off your application or not?

The Russell Group is not important for medicine, especially for an undergraduate.

Start looking for somewhere to volunteer.

ReputationRep:
    Hey all,

Many Thanks
    Things may have changed, but when I applied there was a preference for long term volunteering in healthcare related setting for 6 months minimum. GP and hospital shadowing is not compulsory as it is hard to get.
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Hey all,

Many Thanks
    Hi there!

It's not too late to start thinking about finding medical work experience, so don't worry!

You can see exactly the kinds of work experience that medical schools look for on our Medical School Work Experience Requirements page.

We've also published a range of blogs recently on work experience which you might find useful:
    - How to Apply Voluntary Work to Medicine
    - 3 Tips on Finding Medical Work Experience

Hope this helps!
    The Medic Portal

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 28, 2018
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.