Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

Hoping someone can offer a bit of advice. I have received an offer from Glasgow uni for joint honours history/philosophy (and am very happy) however don't want to study philosophy at Glasgow and would prefer to pick up celtic studies or classical studies. I did email admissions before I got my offer asking if possible to change to history/celtic studies but never received a reply.

Can I request to change subjects on offer to history/celtic studies or, assuming I accept offer and meet conditions, can I request to drop philosophy at enrolment?

I know I get to study 3 subjects in year one and ideally if I decide to commute that far I would like to study history/celtic/classics.

I am still waiting replies from Edinburgh for History and Stirling for history/philosophy. Stirling is just down the road from me, if I decide that a longer commute is doable (am a mature student with children) I would love to go and study celtic or classics as learning about a whole culture appeals to me (and am more excited about doing that than philosophy).

Am just kicking myself that I did not think this through completely before applying, until the last couple of weeks I hadn't realised that attending a university a little further away might be possible. As a SWAP student I had to fill the five choices and due to distance I thought Stirling was really my only viable option. I know it well, being down the road, it has a lovely campus and on a study skills day the staff seemed friendly and approachable. However I am much more interested in the variety/breadth of historical courses available at Glasgow and Edinburgh and more excited about studying them than the ones at Stirling.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Hi! I was in a similar situation like you, having applied to Film/Politics but realising I actually wanted to do Film/Sociology, and didn't care enough about politics to do it as a third. I emailed and simply switched. I am not 100% sure, but as far as I remember I emailed before I had received my exam results? The offer for Politics was higher than for Sociology anyways, so I wasn't completely certain whether this was right procedure.

So yeah, it was pretty easy for me. I just emailed and asked if it was possible to switch my degree and they immediately changed it in UCAS for me. Think that was around April/May, and I emailed Elaine Shortt.

As a side note, both Stirling and Glasgow are great unis so I'm sure you'd be fine either way. Many people do commute to Glasgow, so if anything you're not alone. I also don't know how old your children are but know that the uni is working on better facilities for people with kids so I think they're quite accommodating in that respect.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the info 😊. I emailed Elaine Shortt twice but not had a reply. Had you already formed before you requested a switch?

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.