Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

Hoping someone can offer a bit of advice. I have received an offer from Glasgow uni for joint honours history/philosophy (and am very happy) however don't want to study philosophy at Glasgow and would prefer to pick up celtic studies or classical studies. I did email admissions before I got my offer asking if possible to change to history/celtic studies but never received a reply.

Can I request to change subjects on offer to history/celtic studies or, assuming I accept offer and meet conditions, can I request to drop philosophy at enrolment?

I know I get to study 3 subjects in year one and ideally if I decide to commute that far I would like to study history/celtic/classics.

I am still waiting replies from Edinburgh for History and Stirling for history/philosophy. Stirling is just down the road from me, if I decide that a longer commute is doable (am a mature student with children) I would love to go and study celtic or classics as learning about a whole culture appeals to me (and am more excited about doing that than philosophy).

Am just kicking myself that I did not think this through completely before applying, until the last couple of weeks I hadn't realised that attending a university a little further away might be possible. As a SWAP student I had to fill the five choices and due to distance I thought Stirling was really my only viable option. I know it well, being down the road, it has a lovely campus and on a study skills day the staff seemed friendly and approachable. However I am much more interested in the variety/breadth of historical courses available at Glasgow and Edinburgh and more excited about studying them than the ones at Stirling.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Hi! I was in a similar situation like you, having applied to Film/Politics but realising I actually wanted to do Film/Sociology, and didn't care enough about politics to do it as a third. I emailed and simply switched. I am not 100% sure, but as far as I remember I emailed before I had received my exam results? The offer for Politics was higher than for Sociology anyways, so I wasn't completely certain whether this was right procedure.

So yeah, it was pretty easy for me. I just emailed and asked if it was possible to switch my degree and they immediately changed it in UCAS for me. Think that was around April/May, and I emailed Elaine Shortt.

As a side note, both Stirling and Glasgow are great unis so I'm sure you'd be fine either way. Many people do commute to Glasgow, so if anything you're not alone. I also don't know how old your children are but know that the uni is working on better facilities for people with kids so I think they're quite accommodating in that respect.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the info 😊. I emailed Elaine Shortt twice but not had a reply. Had you already formed before you requested a switch?

University open days

1. University of Glasgow
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Tue, 28 Aug '18
  2. University of Glasgow
    All Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.