Turn on thread page Beta

How does Loughborough compare to other universities for Mechanical Engineering? watch

ReputationRep:
    I need to choose a firm and insurance out of Loughborough, Brunel, Bath, Warwick and Surrey, but I have mostly eliminated Warwick and Bath due to their high entry requirements. I haven't seen Brunel yet (I should be on Saturday), but I would like to put Loughborough as my firm since it appears rather nice. However, this leaves me with the problem of me not liking Brunel, as both Surrey and Loughborough are AAB and Brunel is BBB, so I cannot reasonably put Loughborough as my firm and Surrey as my insurance as this is very risky. So, what I'm really asking is this - would Loughborough and Brunel be good choices for firm and insurance respectively? Also I'm not into sports whatsoever, would Loughborough still be a good choice for me?
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by connorstevenwade)
    would Loughborough and Brunel be good choices for firm and insurance respectively? Also I'm not into sports whatsoever, would Loughborough still be a good choice for me?
    Yes.

Most people end up at their firm anyway. Only about 10% go to their insurance iirc.

And no you don't have to be sporty at Loughborough

However, why do you think Bath is out of reach?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doonesbury)
    Yes.

Most people end up at their firm anyway. Only about 10% go to their insurance iirc.

And no you don't have to be sporty at Loughborough

However, why do you think Bath is out of reach?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Because my offer is A*AA, and doing Maths and Physics I am very unlikely to get an A* in either, and an A in each is still somewhat difficult - also I haven't seen Bath and at this stage it feels a bit late to even consider it unless it's absolutely miles ahead of Loughborough
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Because my offer is A*AA, and doing Maths and Physics I am very unlikely to get an A* in either, and an A in each is still somewhat difficult - also I haven't seen Bath and at this stage it feels a bit late to even consider it unless it's absolutely miles ahead of Loughborough
    Loughborough is an excellent choice. However you have until May to decide. Why not visit Bath and then have a think. There's no rush.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Loughborough is an excellent choice. However you have until May to decide. Why not visit Bath and then have a think. There's no rush.
    I just feel like there's very little point considering a university I almost definitely won't get into - unless Bath often accept lower grades or come up in adjustment?
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    I just feel like there's very little point considering a university I almost definitely won't get into - unless Bath often accept lower grades or come up in adjustment?
    Maybe contact them and ask if they ever have MechEng in Adjustment, or if they might accept a small miss in your grades

ReputationRep:
    Maybe contact them and ask if they ever have MechEng in Adjustment, or if they might accept a small miss in your grades
    Fair enough, thanks
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Fair enough, thanks
    This might interest you. Bath has allowed a few "near miss" acceptances in recent years for MechEng:

2012 : 53 near miss acceptances (out of 134 total acceptances)
    2013 : 28 (147)

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/reque..._passthrough=1

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 28, 2018

University open days

1. Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate Open Days Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Jul '18
  2. University of Sunderland
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Jul '18
  3. Plymouth College of Art
    All MA Programmes Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Jul '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.